Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    I must say when I said yes before, I did think you meant the 'finals' bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

G.K. wrote: »
    I must say when I said yes before, I did think you meant the 'finals' bit.

So am I to pick again?

If you would. There's talent aplenty out there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Without wanting to be b*tchy, I have given proof that it is not qualifying so please stop saying that it is.

Im sorry, i dont want to appear like im picking on you but it clearly cannot be accepted as a pick, he didnt play in the finals. I know wikipedia isnt accurate and I hate using it as a source but it seems pretty obvious from this.
    The 1960 tournament, held in France, had four teams competing in the finals out of 17 that entered the competition.[7] It was won by the Soviet Union, beating Yugoslavia 2–1 in a tense final in Paris.[8] Spain withdrew from its quarter-final match against the USSR due to political protests.[9] Of the 17 teams that entered the qualifying tournament, notable absentees were England, West Germany and Italy

Clearly differentiates between the finals which 4 teams competed in and the qualifying tournament which had 17.

I thought I knew who you were going to pick from the original comment as he played in the finals and is the stand out player in his position by all accounts but honestly mate seems a bit rich claiming di stefano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Apologies to all for creating an unnecessary and unwanted merry-go-round in a thread which had previously gone along without any controversy.

Pick changed.

It's fine, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants
    If this was a best comb over draft, SirDelboy18 would have just won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Is the choice of the "legend" player limited to countries involved in the Euros or is it any player whose played in the Euros before?

16 Participants
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Is the choice of the "legend" player limited to countries involved in the Euros or is it any player whose played in the Euros before?

I believe it's any player who has played at a Euros previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Surprised to see Scholes and Charlton go there!

Thanks-based voting
    Okay lads, let's all play ****ing ball and leave one of my favourite players of all time to be scooped up at the end of the round. I promise a super long and awesome write up if you do! :)

I believe it's any player who has played at a Euros previously.

Ah good. Think there's a top 3 player still in there, I say think as it's rather difficult to compare players from different generations and always find it a tad cringy reading people going into detail about someone they've only seen in highlight reels or read about. If you went by youtube clips Ibra would possibly the GOAT player. Also would the old school players be able to compete on a fitness/physical level with the modern pro, thus making someone like Zizu better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Ah good. Think there's a top 3 player still in there, I say think as it's rather difficult to compare players from different generations and always find it a tad cringy reading people going into detail about someone they've only seen in highlight reels or read about. If you went by yoirube clips Ibra would possibly the GOAT player. Also would the old school players be able to compete on a fitness/physical level with the modern pro, this making someone like Zizu better value.

What else would you suggest someone can do?

Build a timemachine and go back and watch them then?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ah good. Think there's a top 3 player still in there, I say think as it's rather difficult to compare players from different generations and always find it a tad cringy reading people going into detail about someone they've only seen in highlight reels or read about. If you went by yoirube clips Ibra would possibly the GOAT player. Also would the old school players be able to compete on a fitness/physical level with the modern pro, this making someone like Zizu better value.

What else would you suggest someone can do?

Build a timemachine and go back and watch them then?

I wouldn't have a legend round in the first place tbh. Sounds good in theory but don't think it works all that well in practice, adds too much of a unknown factor, all imo of course. Think it will lead to silly arguments down the line when teams are facing off vs each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Okay lads, let's all play ****ing ball and leave one of my favourite players of all time to be scooped up at the end of the round. I promise a super long and awesome write up if you do! :)
    I have a feeling I know who this is

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have a legend round in the first place tbh. Sounds good in theory but don't think it works all that well in practice, adds to much of a unknown factor, all imo of course. Think it will lead to silly arguments down the line when teams are facing off vs each other.

It wasn't my preference either but it was the choice on the of the people, as the poll shows. 9 votes to 5 (My own vote notwithstanding).

Thanks-based voting
    Just to clarify the fact that charlton won the world cup means fcuk all in this draft as its about his record/form at the euros yeh?

16 Participants
    I didn't take it to be the person's record at the Euros.

Thanks-based voting
    I didn't take it to be the person's record at the Euros.
    I taught that is the whole point of having a european championship legends round

I said 'the player at their prime'. It's in the rules, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    Rule is that the historical players get judged at their prime. Says nothing about their past impact at the Euros being any sort of factor.

20 Participants
    I wouldn't have a legend round in the first place tbh. Sounds good in theory but don't think it works all that well in practice, adds too much of a unknown factor, all imo of course. Think it will lead to silly arguments down the line when teams are facing off vs each other.

Yeah but it can generate extra debate. This is good imo.

Thanks-based voting
    G.K. wrote: »
    I said 'the player at their prime'. It's in the rules, guys.
    Pointless round so, a player might have only played in the euros at the twilight of their career yet they can be judged on their prime when were not even at the tournament

What the point having a euro championship legends round when it is selected on nothing got to do with the euros whatsoever

Yeah but it can generate extra debate. This is good imo.

Stupid highly speculative debate imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Pointless round so, a player might have only played in the euros at the twilight of their career yet they can be judged on their prime when were not even at the tournament

What the point having a euro championship legends round when it is selected on nothing got to do with the euros whatsoever

It's a bit subjective deciding how a player played at one or two tournaments.
    How many people are going to remember how Platini played at Euro 88 for example. Easier to look back at his whole career.

Thanks-based voting
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    redzerdrog wrote: »

It's a bit subjective deciding how a player played at one or two tournaments.
    How many people are going to remember how Platini played at Euro 88 for example. Easier to look back at his whole career.
    I agree with looking back at whole career but with an emphasis on the euro championship like someone who played in 4 tournaments getting to 3 finals and winning 1 should be a better pick than some who made 1 appearence going out in the 1st round but scored 500 goals for his club in his career. The later is hardly a euro championship legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Happy enough with my pick. I know the obvious names that'll follow me but I needed a CB,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It was a tossup between Maldini and Baresi :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    Yeah, you made my decision very easy with your pick :p

Thanks-based voting
    I wouldn't have had a Legends rule either guys but come on - the rules were very clearly stated in the first post of the picks thread. Clarifying something that that post covers is one thing, but debating stuff laid out in that post really shouldn't be on. Let's just get on with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    I wouldn't have had a Legends rule either guys but come on - the rules were very clearly stated in the first post of the picks thread. Clarifying something that that post covers is one thing, but debating stuff laid out in that post really shouldn't be on. Let's just get on with it?

yup as I said when people were talking about me being in asia and maybe not being able for the 12hr rule, we all signed up to the rules by saying we were in this and although each one of us may have layed the rules out differently unless its something that hasnt been mentioned yet then its already been set and we should agree to abide by it (not that anyone is suggesting otherwise).

trying to work out my formation atm already having 3 CM/AMC after only 4 rds wasnt really planned in advance although I did want Cryuff.

Thanks-based voting
    Baresi is simply one of the finest defenders to ever play the game. People should treat themselves to some youtube compilations - unbelievable footballer.

Thanks-based voting
    Baresi is simply one of the finest defenders to ever play the game. People should treat themselves to some youtube compilations - unbelievable footballer.

AC Milan / Italy were truely blessed in defense at the time, some of the greatest players of all time. Though obviously forwards steal the headlines I'd honestly put a Baresi / Maldini on the same level as a Ronaldo (brazillian)/ Zidane in terms of quality.

A draft where any footballer past or present is allowed would be epic thinking about it. Imagine the quality of all the teams involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Really want to get my next pick . Hopefully no one goes for him .

20 Participants
    I considered Muller quite a lot. Der Kaiser was a better pick though for my money(not a lot in it though). Remember thinking whoever got him would be pretty damn lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Thanks-based voting
    if I was in this draft, van Basten would have been my no.1 pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thanks-based voting
    I was wondering how he took so long to get picked..

20 Participants
    SlickRic wrote: »

Cryuff, Beckenbeuer, van Basten 1,2,3 for my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    SlickRic wrote: »
    I needed a CB wanted Maldini, but Jesus, absolutely delighted to get Van Basten. And I'm in Amsterdam now and all :)

• Advertisement

16 Participants
    I don't need to pick any defenders do I?

Might just play fly goalie.

Won't need defenders with Cryuff and Carroll banging in the goals.
    Cryuff, Beckenbeuer, van Basten 1,2,3 for my money.

Ship ship.

Thanks-based voting
    van basten wad my 3rd choice after platini and zidane but am more suprised another of my top 5 hasnt been picked yet

Thanks-based voting
    Happy with my pick I am .

20 Participants
    Astounded no-one went for Makelele in round four. Would have been great value late on in the round imo.

Thanks-based voting
    Also, SICK that Baggio apparently wasn't eligible upon closer investigation. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Astounded no-one went for Makelele in round four. Would have been great value late on in the round imo.

I was gonna take him but went for Desailly because he is more versatile.

I'm surprised Figo wasn't taken.

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting

I was going to but i felt deschamps was a better pick . I had Deschamps viera and Makele lined up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thought Henry woulda been in there this round tbh...

Thanks-based voting
    Louther mattheus should have been picjed

Thanks-based voting
    had Van Baten third choice myself after Cryuff and expected Zidane to be gone before me despite being third.

There are so many greats that could have gone in this rd but didnt but then again only sixteen people picked and they all had different needs for instance had I got Llorente as hoped in the last rd then a defender would have been a bigger Priority then Maldini, Barsei or even Paul McGrath would have been higher on my list than MVB. Was also surprised when I noticed Baggio seemingly never played in the Euro's though he was never going to be a top 3 pick.

Honestly thinking about trying to get a draft going in the future where any player from any time is available. Would be so interesting comparing all these legends, seing who does and doesent make the cut, 16 very interesting quality sides judged and even things like how many present day players get picked. Could also be kinda educational for the forum especially if youtubes of clips from older name players where used when possible in draft picks.

I'd certainly love to be involved, but I'd want to pick that time.

Here's an updated pick list:

boardsdraft2.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement