Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnic food shops

Options
  • 10-05-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me where the ethnic food shops are in Sligo? I know of the Polish food shop and also of the Halal shop on market lane i think it is - only because there was a report in the paper about vermin being found there, so think I'll avoid that one!

TIA!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Isn't there one where Jolly Rogers used to be opposite the Dunnes Stores car park. There is another one on harmony hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

And one down over Victor cafe on the way down to the footbridge thingie on the way to Doorly park.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

There's an Asian one on Connolly St (top of High St), and a Polish one on Tobergal Lane (off O'Connell St) Don't know anything about either of them, never shopped there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Yeah it's mainly polish stores around Sligo (Adelaide St, Harmony Hill and Tobergal Lane). I was never in the Old Market Street store. Would love if there was a decent Asian Store around the town. Although Food Centre over Cleveragh have a nice range of sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

I think you are safe enough buying the prepacked stuff in the Asian markets I've even bought frozen prawns in the one on Market St., they were sound. I cook a fair bit of Asian food (have to as there is no Thai any more in Sligo) but would always look for whatever I need in Tescos first. They have a little international section that has the basics.

Side note: China City do a very good thai green curry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Isn't there one where Jolly Rogers used to be opposite the Dunnes Stores car park. There is another one on harmony hill.

Are these Asian shops or Polish shops? I'm looking for Asian food shops. Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are these Asian shops or Polish shops? I'm looking for Asian food shops. Thanks!

No idea, I'm afraid. I've never been in them, only walked by them and didn't really pay much attention to them.

Millbrook and Connelly St. are more Asian.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

The one at Millbrook do a good range of spices, herbs.

The brand is 'East End'. Get the ground cummin,, ground coriander and some
    black cardomon pods + some curry powder + some coconut milk + chopped tomato + diced onions + chicken stock + sauted chicken = an unreal curry ---- serve with basmati rice + naan bread ===== naan also can be got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

jajjay wrote: »

black cardomon pods + some curry powder + some coconut milk + chopped tomato + diced onions + chicken stock + sauted chicken = an unreal curry ---- serve with basmati rice + naan bread ===== naan also can be got there.

Oh yes I'm familiar with that brand, I am interested in buying beans, cous cous, etc in large quantities, for vegetarian dishes.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

jajjay wrote: »

Do they do peshwari naan bread. Can't seem to get it anywhere in town?

you should be able to get all that stuff on connelly st. not 100% about the peshwari naan though. definitely large bags of lintels, dried chickpeas, etc. some stuff like certain spices that i haven't been able to find in the asian shops i have found in kate's kitchen. if you are looking for something in particular i can check for you, i live directly across the road. just let me know. i need some vindaloo paste anyhow

Was in the Asian market on Connelly St. earlier today.

Red Sean, no peshwari naan bread. They don't keep well it seems. I did manage to get them in Tescos last year. I picked up some roghni naan instead whatever that is.

fillefatale, loads of rice, lintels, etc. there anything from 500g - 10kg. They have Tilda rice, Tesco sell that as well.

Seems to be good value on things like large bottles of chilli, soy sauce etc. Would check the dates on everything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Was in the Asian market on Connelly St. earlier today.

Red Sean, no peshwari naan bread. They don't keep well it seems. I did manage to get them in Tescos last year. I picked up some roghni naan instead whatever that is.

fillefatale, loads of rice, lintels, etc. there anything from 500g - 10kg. They have Tilda rice, Tesco sell that as well.

Seems to be good value on things like large bottles of chilli, soy sauce etc. Would check the dates on everything to be honest.
    Thanks for remembering Rocky. Looks like I'll have to wait for Aldi to open or head up to Asda.
    Let us know what you think of the roghi naan.

red sean wrote: »
    Thanks for remembering Rocky. Looks like I'll have to wait for Aldi to open or head up to Asda.
    Let us know what you think of the roghi naan.

Red Sean,
    Pataks peshwari naan in Tesco's if you are looking. The roghni naan was grand. Another thing, the curry paste is a lot cheaper in the Asian shop on Connelly St. than it is in Tescos.

Advertisement