Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Where do i activate my IEC visa after I've arrived?

Options
  • 10-05-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was wondering if somebody could give me a wee bit of advice.

I'm from the UK and my IEC application went in to the last stage 3 weeks ago and the letter advises that it can take up to 6 weeks before I receive my letter of invitation.

BUT, I leave in less than a week...

So I know I can enter Canada on a tourist visa and will just wait for the email with my letter of acceptance.

How is it that I activate it from Canada though? Do I need to leave the country and come back in through customs? Or someone thought that I could just go to my nearest airport.

Any help would be much appreciated, totally stressing out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

You would have to leave Canada and come back across the border. Your letter of introduction has to be given to a customs official, who will give you your work permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Exactly, if you're in a city close to the boarder the best thing to do is get a train or bus down to the the states and on the way back up activate the visa

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Does anyone know if I should mention I'm waiting on my IEC when I'm at border security or should I say I'm a tourist??

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

johnt91 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I should mention I'm waiting on my IEC when I'm at border security or should I say I'm a tourist??

Just enter as a tourist, telling them your waiting on it will make no difference... they won't care :p

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

One final question, I have a return flight booked for August, and I'm heading over to Canada next Friday. How much money would you say I'll need to have in my account to be allowed enter? I have around 3500 dollars or so, would that be considered as sufficient funds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

johnt91 wrote: »
    One final question, I have a return flight booked for August, and I'm heading over to Canada next Friday. How much money would you say I'll need to have in my account to be allowed enter? I have around 3500 dollars or so, would that be considered as sufficient funds?

They ask that you have $2500 CAD

Advertisement