Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Cork England Football

Options
  • 10-05-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

This may be asking for trouble but I'm moving to Cork at the beginning of June and being English, I'm a bit gutted that I'm gonna be away from UK pubs during the Euros. Is there any "safe" pub in Cork where I can where my English jersey and shout loudly at the tele while England lose on penalties?
    I googled "England supporters club Cork" and while there is one in Dublin there's not in Cork.
    Is this a ridiculous request? Are there any other brits in Cork who want to meet up and blame Frank Lampard together?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

There are no pubs in cork.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mr Scoobie wrote: »
    This may be asking for trouble but I'm moving to Cork at the beginning of June and being English, I'm a bit gutted that I'm gonna be away from UK pubs during the Euros. Is there any "safe" pub in Cork where I can where my English jersey and shout loudly at the tele while England lose on penalties?
    I googled "England supporters club Cork" and while there is one in Dublin there's not in Cork.
    Is this a ridiculous request? Are there any other brits in Cork who want to meet up and blame Frank Lampard together?
    Cheers

Maybe try the soccer forum? You have to request access to it. There must be somewhere in Cork that will cater for the English games.

I would like to think the people here would be mature enough to not give hassle to England supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In the city you'll be safe enough in most bars on the main drinking streets, Oliver Plunkett and Washington Streets. The Oliver Plunkett seems a rather tame place, but the Woolshed would be best (it's just behind washington street) because it's very multi-cultural as it is.

The further you go from the city centre the more likely you are to find some prick being an armchair republican. Even at that you won't find too many.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah I'd agree.
    The Old Oak tend to show all games, the woolshed prob will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The spots mentioned above are ideal, but if it was me I'd leave the jersey at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

54kroc wrote: »
    The spots mentioned above are ideal, but if it was me I'd leave the jersey at home.

In the Old Oak (during the day) or the woolshed there will be no issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

most pubs will have the games on. As mentioned above, Woolshed is a great spot to watch matches. Door 51 have an HD projector with a massive screen, and sober lane is always good for pints/pizza/matches. You'll have no bother finding a bar for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr Scoobie

Amazing, thanks so much for the all responses! I'll go check them out (without jersey) before all the games start!

I'll try the soccer forum too, but it looked like a massive amount of posts were required or a 3 month wait, I'll check again.

Thanks again guys

Amazing, thanks so much for the all responses! I'll go check them out (without jersey) before all the games start!

I'll try the soccer forum too, but it looked like a massive amount of posts were required or a 3 month wait, I'll check again.

Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The Old Oak should be safe enough. watched US-England at the world cup a couple a years ago with 4 or 5 English lads. Be prepared for a ribbing if a Robert Green type howler goes in though :D

• Advertisement

You should have no bother in any pub in the flat of the city as MiniD mentioned, you can never say never etc but I'd be fairly certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I have been to Old oak when english games are on. Haven't seen anyone wearing jersey getting hassle either. As sad before, if you are far from city centre, theres more chance to stumble on some idiots, but in centre, its grand, i don't think you will have a problem in any of the sports bars there.

Also, for the future, bear in mind that when the actual Premier League games start again, you can go to fan pubs to watch them as bigger Premier league clubs have their own fan bars here too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Mr Scoobie wrote: »

Thanks again guys

Just check out a pub beforehand. Most would be grand even with the jersey. Make sure theres not a sinn fein office next door or signs up for sinn fein fundraisers. I had an English friend who used to live over here and he always wore the jersey, got a bit of a ribbing but all good humored.
    There will be some banter and most people will be die hard Ukraine fans or whoever else all of a sudden but theres the odd Irish person who would support England over a country other then Ireland, scotland and wales. Suppose some may despise France more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

From watching the 2010 World Cup.

Door 51 seemed a good spot, lots of different jerseys, England included. Also found Preachers to be good, a good few German and Dutch jerseys and there were also a few lads in England jerseys for the England matches - got the usual stick but nothing malicious. In fact the jersey that got the most abuse was France, but that was to be expected :P

I would also agree with the Woolshed. Normally seems to be a good spread of fans of different affiliation in there for matches, whether it's premier league or six nations/rwc.

I'm looking at having the reverse problem in that I may be in England on June 24th, when we will hopefully be playing England in the 1/4 final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've been in Cork for 10 years and tend to use the Oak for England games as its both central and a mix of all sorts of people.

That said, I've never had any hassle supporting England in any Cork bar - just get used to the fact that the rest of the people will cheer for the opposition lol :rolleyes:

I'd leave the shirt at home though - 99.9% wont mind, but its that 0.1% that will seize any opportunity.

Gimme a shout if you're heading in as I may well be going myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Andip wrote: »
    I've been in Cork for 10 years and tend to use the Oak for England games as its both central and a mix of all sorts of people.

That said, I've never had any hassle supporting England in any Cork bar - just get used to the fact that the rest of the people will cheer for the opposition lol :rolleyes:

I'd leave the shirt at home though - 99.9% wont mind, but its that 0.1% that will seize any opportunity.

Gimme a shout if you're heading in as I may well be going myself

Feck that. Don't be letting some armchair Republican dictate the colours you wear. If you want to wear your jersey, wear it proudly. If some eejit gives you hassle over it, either ignore him or ask him who he supports - the answer will probably be Manchester Utd, Liverpool or Glasgow Celtic. You can give him plenty of stick back for supporting an English/Scottish team, but being outraged at someone supporting their own.

I've never seen anyone getting hassle over wearing an English jersey. It probably happens, but no more than someone getting hassle for wearing a clubs' jersies.

I'd say I've gotten more hassle for wearing a Cork City FC shirt than if I wore an England one, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Feck that. Don't be letting some armchair Republican dictate the colours you wear. If you want to wear your jersey, wear it proudly. If some eejit gives you hassle over it, either ignore him or ask him who he supports - the answer will probably be Manchester Utd, Liverpool or Glasgow Celtic. You can give him plenty of stick back for supporting an English/Scottish team, but being outraged at someone supporting their own.

I've never seen anyone getting hassle over wearing an English jersey. It probably happens, but no more than someone getting hassle for wearing a clubs' jersies.

I'd say I've gotten more hassle for wearing a Cork City FC shirt than if I wore an England one, to be honest.

Fair play for the comment, but I'd still be wary that the guy who picks up on it wouldn't know a football from a rugby ball - he's only looking to pick a fight.

I've worn my jersey in town before & had some great banter with the lads, but times have changed & much as I'd love to wear my jersey in town now, I personally wouldn't take the risk for fear of bumping into that mindless eejit.

I'm looking at having the reverse problem in that I may be in England on June 24th, when we will hopefully be playing England in the 1/4 final :D

It would be nice to get a nice easy passage to the semi's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Andip wrote: »
    Fair play for the comment, but I'd still be wary that the guy who picks up on it wouldn't know a football from a rugby ball - he's only looking to pick a fight.

I've worn my jersey in town before & had some great banter with the lads, but times have changed & much as I'd love to wear my jersey in town now, I personally wouldn't take the risk for fear of bumping into that mindless eejit.

If anything, you'd be less likely to get hassle than a few years ago. We've come along way - just look at the queen's visit last year. I'd say the fact that Ireland haven't played England in a football match (unless you considered club matches, but that would confuse a lot of Irish football fans who support English teams!) has helped calm things down a bit, too. Sure, isn't Cork known as the Rebel County for rebelling in favour of a monarch - you'll be fine! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

I wouldn't worry bout an English jersey at all. I've worn Glasgow Rangers tops in Cork City centre and apart from a few bemused looks I didn't get any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Passage West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Passage West.

Lol. NO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I would suggest the ferry arms in passage-free food out the back in all

Passage West.

maybe carrigtwohill would be better

I actually think that after a year of living in Cork the thread starter will be amused thinking back or re-reading this thread. Pretty sure that after a year in Cork sportspubs he still hasnt had any hassle. Wearing a jersey or not.
    Just my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Agreed about the sports pubs giving no trouble - Oliver Punkett St area would be a good bet, the Old Oak will probably have a load of English people in. I'd be a bit more aware in the smaller pubs or the outskirts of the city center (Shandon / Barrack / Coburg St etc) - definitely don't go in singing God Save the Queen or chanting No Surrender to the IRA. I've never seen an England fan get any real hassle in Ireland but I have seen a Rangers fan get his car keyed after the game.

kart wrote: »
    I actually think that after a year of living in Cork the thread starter will be amused thinking back or re-reading this thread. Pretty sure that after a year in Cork sportspubs he still hasnt had any hassle. Wearing a jersey or not.
    Just my bet.

you're probably right! I guessed that there wouldn't be any hassle really, my ulterior motive was to see if there was already a place where England fans met up, an English owned bar or something. but it is good to hear that the chances of hassle are minimal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

There's a Chelsea supporters bar on Leitrim street, good chance it would be full of ex-pats,
    can't imagine there being many native Chelsea supporters here over the age of 15

Never been in there myself so can't vouch for the place
    nearly went for the first Napoli match with two lads from Naples and a few other of their Italian friends

There's a Chelsea supporters bar on Leitrim street, good chance it would be full of ex-pats,
    can't imagine there being many native Chelsea supporters here over the age of 15

There is fair few english going there alright, most people there still irish, owner is irish too. An alright place, specially for Chelsea fans ofcourse:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Do any of the posters on here know the name of the Man City pub that is near the bus station in Cork?

Cant think of the name of it - thanks in advance
    Johnny

Advertisement