Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walking/hiking trowsers

Options
  • 10-05-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

As the title says, i am looking for recommendations on walking/hiking trowsers. Will be mainly using them during spring, summer and autumn months. waterproof if poss. There are so many out there im not sure whats make/brand are best etc. Budget will be up to €100 beans. Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

The ones I use most often cost about a tenner in Aldi or Lidl. Not waterproof, but quick dry.

And then waterproofs to pull over them that cost about €25 in the Tog 24 outlet store in Kildare.

That does me for all treks around the ranges in the SW anyway. Mind you, I don't camp, I only go on daytrips.

Would spend the €100 if I were trekking across the Alps or hiking for days on end and camping or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

tkmax always seem to have a plentyful supply of craghoppers kiwi pants at a reasonable price, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 on the Craghopper Kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Craghopper Kiwi's are the ones i currently use - very comfy. They are not waterproof but they are quick drying if caught in a sudden short shower. They also have high solar protection and have basic wicking abilities. They cost (at the time) about 50 euros a pair. Pay maybe 10 euros more for the Kiwi's with the zip off leggings.

M&S sell "Stormwear" trousers for walkers with all of the features of the Kiwi's for about the same price and with the same features but they are not as comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, they dry very quickly ... last weekend I went up to the top of both thighs in the bog between Connavalla and Lough Firrib and had to be pulled out :) but legs were already dry after less than an hour.

They also do a fleece lined version for winter use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Sounds good guys. I will be sniffing out the craghopper kiwi i think. Sounds exactly what i had in mind, water proof is not so important so the quick dry feature will be fine for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

As the title says, i am looking for recommendations on walking/hiking trowsers. Will be mainly using them during spring, summer and autumn months. waterproof if poss. There are so many out there im not sure whats make/brand are best etc. Budget will be up to €100 beans. Thanks in advance guys.

I use craighoppers and try to buy them in the sales. they are solar dry which means they dry fast. I am reluctant to spend more than 50 euro on trousers as they can get wrecked easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I recently bought Craghoppers cheaply off sportsdirect.com

Just checked, 20STG which is a great price.

I agree with the above, quickdry is the way to go in showers. Carry some overtrousers for the few times when it's continuous rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Craghoppers solar kiwis are currently in Tkmax for €26.99. They also have Gelert's for €19.99.

Advertisement