Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfest 2012

Options
  • 10-05-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Seen some threads on Wacken, Download and Graspop and just said I'd start one for Hellfest (if one has already been started please point me in the right direction!). Anyone else got tickets for this? Just booked it myself and cannot wait for it now!:D Worked out pretty cheap, €330 for two weekend camping tickets and €80 for two return flights Cork - La Rochelle. Any tips from anyone that's gone before? First European metal festival so all advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Went there in 2010 to see Godflesh play. Absolutely great crowd and great atmosphere.

Make sure you catch Taake and Alcest!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Thanks man, it looked for a long while that this thread had fallen on deaf ears!:o

Flying out in just over a week, gonna travel pretty light and just buy a tent and stuff over there, should be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DanaScully

So what was the Hellfest like ? I couldn't go there :mad:, should go next year.
    There is Rock en Seine as well in late august, not to be missed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Great weekend, really nice atmosphere, everyone just there for the music and good times! The arena's very well laid out, especially with the tandem Main Stages - while one band is playing on Main Stage 1 they're soundchecking for the next band on Main Stage 2, and it was the same in the death metal tent, two stages running alternately, so very little time waiting around. Megadeth, Steel Panther and Machine Head were probably the highlights for me (I'd have fairly mainstream tastes, don't fancy much of the death and doom stuff :o). It's handy as well that the supermarket is only a stone's throw from the festival site, handy for picking up food and cheap beers and what have you. The beer inside in the arena was p!ss to be honest and quite expensive. The food in the arena wasn't the worst I've come across, most of us found one thing we liked and stuck with it when we weren't eating what we bought in the supermarket. Unfortunately I spent most of Sunday a shivering wreck inside in my tent, the heat and dehydration being the main culprits I reckon, twas an absolutely horrible day but twas probably my own fault and other than that had a fantastic time! The weather was a bit all over the place, very hot for most of the weekend but then it made a LOT of rain Friday night / Saturday morning and the same Sunday night.

Overall, highly recommend the festival, very well organised and the atmosphere was fantastic, reckon I may even have to return next year (assuming I don't get a girlfriend/some sense in the meantime :p)! Now to catch up on some sleep I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

BadCompany wrote: »
    Great weekend, really nice atmosphere, everyone just there for the music and good times! The arena's very well laid out, especially with the tandem Main Stages - while one band is playing on Main Stage 1 they're soundchecking for the next band on Main Stage 2, and it was the same in the death metal tent, two stages running alternately, so very little time waiting around. Megadeth, Steel Panther and Machine Head were probably the highlights for me (I'd have fairly mainstream tastes, don't fancy much of the death and doom stuff :o). It's handy as well that the supermarket is only a stone's throw from the festival site, handy for picking up food and cheap beers and what have you. The beer inside in the arena was p!ss to be honest and quite expensive. The food in the arena wasn't the worst I've come across, most of us found one thing we liked and stuck with it when we weren't eating what we bought in the supermarket. Unfortunately I spent most of Sunday a shivering wreck inside in my tent, the heat and dehydration being the main culprits I reckon, twas an absolutely horrible day but twas probably my own fault and other than that had a fantastic time! The weather was a bit all over the place, very hot for most of the weekend but then it made a LOT of rain Friday night / Saturday morning and the same Sunday night.

Overall, highly recommend the festival, very well organised and the atmosphere was fantastic, reckon I may even have to return next year (assuming I don't get a girlfriend/some sense in the meantime :p)! Now to catch up on some sleep I reckon!

Well said. First Hellfest for me and from now on, I'm addicted. Accomodation wise, I was well treated as I was staying in a house just 2 miles up the road and very glad to be there. Friday night was warm and wet and Sunday night was pissy. 6 stages and 3 bands playing at the same time. It was well scheduled everytime. We thought they gave a large gap for G'n'R because they didn't know what to expect but Axl arrived on time and gave a 2.5h show (wow !!) I saw lots of new bands and old bands too. The greatest thing of all is that it's big enough to spread and you can get close to the stage + 152 groups over 3 days for 150 yoyos, it's well worth the price. Groups started as early as 11am and it finished at 2am. The party continued at the metal corner tent until 4am. Agree with you re. beer, it's not great but the grimbergen was the best. Re. food, you can't complain there. huge portions for €6 and that would fill you up.

It's was a tough WE and the flight back home was full of metal heads that it felt like the party was still going on. I'll be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 DanaScully

What about Hellfest 2013? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

DanaScully wrote: »
    What about Hellfest 2013? :D

Would starting a new thread for the 2013 edition be the obvious answer

Advertisement