Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Holiday Reads

Options
  • 10-05-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Haven't seen any threads about good holiday reads recently so apologies if I'm repeating other people.

Another college year down and summer beckons! Which means - reading for pleasure rather than exam cramming!
    Heading off to the sun next week - any suggestions for a few good holiday reads? I'm completely allergic to "chick lit"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

The Beach, Alex Garland. Great story, very easy to read and seems apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

A few of my favourites, all pretty good for holiday reads...
    Life of Pi
    Marley and Me
    Touching the Void
    Skippy Dies
    Bringing Down the House
    Shantaram
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
    PS I Scored the Bridesmaids (not everyone's cup of tea!)
    The Kite Runner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's the difference between a decent holiday read and just a decent read?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

What's the difference between a decent holiday read and just a decent read?

I think I always see it as something that's easy to get into. Something with a story that I can dip in and out of, that if I go for a swim or something I'm not going to lose track of the story when I go back reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Haven't seen any threads about good holiday reads recently so apologies if I'm repeating other people.

Another college year down and summer beckons! Which means - reading for pleasure rather than exam cramming!
    Heading off to the sun next week - any suggestions for a few good holiday reads? I'm completely allergic to "chick lit"

Bandit Roads by Richard Grant
    This is a great holiday read IMO. Although a technically a travel book it is highly entertaining.Its a travel book with a difference.
    Easy to read,easy to leave down and pick up L8tr.
    As André Breton noted when he visited Mexico, "Surrealism is not needed in this country." Although plenty of foreign writers have sought inspiration in the gothic fecundity of the canyons and cordilleras - one thinks of Sybille Bedford, Malcolm Lowry, Lawrence et al - none has braved the Sierra Madre, the most surreal of all Mexican landscapes. But here comes Richard Grant, finally, with a book about an eventful journey into North America's very own heart of darkness.

The foothills of the 800-mile Sierra Madre Occidental lie just 20 miles south of the border town of Douglas, Arizona. Neither the Aztecs nor the Spaniards were able to subjugate the remote mountain villages, and, as the years went by, the largely mestizo clans developed what Grant calls "a rough, violent, fiercely independent culture that had more in common with the American frontier than the civilised parts of central Mexico". Travelling largely in rented vehicles, Grant finds that feuds and vendettas remain endemic, as do alcoholism, banditry, fanatical machismo and a deep distrust of outside authority. In the 180 or more years since independence, the state has evidently made few inroads. Local power is in the hands of regional strongmen revered as benefactors of clinics, churches and schools.

full review

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/jun/21/saturdayreviewsfeatres.guardianreview21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. A book predominantly about teenage boys and girls but also examines other echelons of society in Celtic Tiger Ireland. Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I'll probably get roasted for this but I read Angels and Demons as a holiday book, I'd recommend reading it for when you're relaxing by the pool, easy to read and plot is fairly fast, just don't see any of it being possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Complete Nonsense by Edward Lear is great although maybe you'd be finished it too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

realgirl wrote: »
    A few of my favourites, all pretty good for holiday reads...
    Life of Pi
    Marley and Me
    Touching the Void
    Skippy Dies
    Bringing Down the House
    Shantaram
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
    PS I Scored the Bridesmaids (not everyone's cup of tea!)
    The Kite Runner

Shantaram is the worst book I ever read. Stay well away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

longshanks wrote: »

Shantaram is the worst book I ever read. Stay well away from it.

I know so many people who love that book, I don't think anyone would be well advised to stay well away from it on the basis that one person didn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

realgirl wrote: »
    I know so many people who love that book, I don't think anyone would be well advised to stay well away from it on the basis that one person didn't like it.

No really, its dreadful. One of the worst books I have ever read. I cant understand the hype, the most long winded silly prose when he can't write prose and 800 pages of him telling us how great he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

No really, its dreadful. One of the worst books I have ever read. I cant understand the hype, the most long winded silly prose when he can't write prose and 800 pages of him telling us how great he is.

I've only ever heard overwhelmingly positive things about this book. I would say, based on this, that it's definitely a book that would probably appeal to any given person requesting suggestions.

I've stayed away from it, mainly due to my fear that it can't possibly ever live up to the hype (I worked in a bookshop, and for a while it's all anyone - coworkers and customers - spoke/raved about).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I've only ever heard overwhelmingly positive things about this book. I would say, based on this, that it's definitely a book that would probably appeal to any given person requesting suggestions.

I've stayed away from it, mainly due to my fear that it can't possibly ever live up to the hype (I worked in a bookshop, and for a while it's all anyone - coworkers and customers - spoke/raved about).

I would only suggest a book that I have read and liked so on that basis I would not recomend this to anyone. Some of this is so bad its amusing. Read some of the low star reviews on Amazon, clearly not everyone in the world loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I would only suggest a book that I have read and liked so on that basis I would not recomend this to anyone. Some of this is so bad its amusing. Read some of the low star reviews on Amazon, clearly not everyone in the world loves it.

Oh, I never said everyone in the world loved it, just that in general it seems to have been a well-received book, which would mean that there'd be a fairly good chance that the reader will like it.

Checking the Amazon reviews, with its overall of 4.5 out of 5 (I'm sure the negative reviews are very negative) would kind of prove my point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bandit Roads by Richard Grant
    This is a great holiday read IMO. Although a technically a travel book it is highly entertaining.Its a travel book with a difference.
    Easy to read,easy to leave down and pick up L8tr.
    I found it really boring myself but each to their own.

Anyway throwing in a not very serious book but still relatively long (but easy to read) to stick through a vacation I'd add Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. No it is not serious about itself and if you're not a fan of zombies obviously it will not go down well but if you want something lightish to read that's fun and suitably light I'd recommend it.

Advertisement