Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitt the twit is in the sh1t for homophobic fit

• 10-05-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has been forced to apologise over some High School hi-jinks. Basically he didn't like the look of some gay guy's hair so pinned him down and cut it. For me a high-school prank is letting the air out of a teacher's tyre or turning all the desks upside down. This kinda thing is much darker and someone who could do such a thing is not for such important office.
    Mitt Romney returned from a three-week spring break in 1965 to resume his studies as a high school senior at the prestigious Cranbrook School. Back on the handsome campus, studded with Tudor brick buildings and manicured fields, he spotted something he thought did not belong at a school where the boys wore ties and carried briefcases. John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn’t having it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romney-apologizes-for-prep-school-incident/2012/05/10/gIQAOelsFU_story.html

Personally I find this behaviour highly objectionable and so he will not be getting my vote.*

*That I don't have a vote is irrelevant

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Of the reasons to not want him to win, that one would be towards the lower end of the list I'd say.

He isn't homophobic, if he was homophobic he wouldn't have touched a suspected gay let alone pin him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

He was a dick when he was a teenager, if this was an isolated incident I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

He isn't homophobic, if he was homophobic he wouldn't have touched a suspected gay let alone pin him down.
    Actually, if you follow the trend with vocally homophobic politicians...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Personally I find this behaviour highly objectionable and so he will not be getting my vote.*
    You mean you would have given him your vote beforehand!?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Newsflash: "Student does something stupid."

I don't like Mitt Romney - but the American press digging up stuff he did as a student, maybe trying to effect his chances in Oval office?
    Naaa... such antics would not make me vote away from him IF I did even consider him.

ALL students do stupid stuff. Me included.

That said, Romney is a out of date idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

5starpool wrote: »
    Of the reasons to not want him to win, that one would be towards the lower end of the list I'd say.

I don't know. I ****in' despise bullies. Once a bully always a bully.

I do agree that the list is long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

mackg wrote: »
    He was a dick when he was a teenager

Ah! So he was always like that?

Biggins wrote: »
    Newsflash: "Student does something stupid."

I don't like Mitt Romney - but the American press digging up stuff he did as a student, maybe trying to effect his chances in Oval office?
    Naaa... such antics would not make me vote away from him IF I did even consider him.

ALL students do stupid stuff. Me included.

That said, Romney is a out of date idiot.

All students don't try to become president. That goes beyond something stupid. Imagine how he must have felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Always nice to see a bully get his comeuppance.

• Advertisement

This wouldn't neccessarily be seen as a weak point for a potential POTUS. Most people would want a bully as a leader (especially the US) rather than someone who was bullied.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    You mean you would have given him your vote beforehand!?:eek:

Obviously not (I'm not crazy).

This wouldn't neccessarily be seen as a weak point for a potential POTUS. Most people would want a bully as a leader (especially the US) rather than someone who was bullied.

I think a POTUS should be somebody who would stand up for himself and his friends rather than pick on he who dared be himself. Naive, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Title a rip-off of the Pole in a Hole thread :pac:

forfuxsake wrote: »
    All students don't try to become president. That goes beyond something stupid. Imagine how he must have felt.

What Mitt did was wrong. No if's or buts.
    I can only imagine how the victim felt.

That said, what we all do stupid in school should not really haunt us for ever if it is eventually gotten away from and the person doing it kops himself on and learned from his/her own stupidity and earlier bad behaviour.

As it is Mitt is a plonker in many others aspects and I hope he never sees the Oval office as president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Mittens is an odious twatwaffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Great thread title OP - you should be a tabloid sub-editor with skills like that.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Great thread title OP - you should be a tabloid sub-editor with skills like that.

who says I'm not.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not one fuck could I give about watching two privileged careerist millionaires vying for hundreds of millions in campaign funds off their handlers corporate sponsors - sponsors who expect to have their investment returned - if it's at the expense of the US public... well fuck 'em.
    “All for ourselves and nothing for other people seems in every age of the world to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.”

That was not Karl Marx but Adam Smith, in his classic 1776 treatise on capitalism, the Wealth of Nations. Little has changed since then.

Source

Talk about detached from democratic principles.
    Plutonomy and the Precariat

For the general population, the 99% in the imagery of the Occupy movement, it’s been pretty harsh -- and it could get worse. This could be a period of irreversible decline. For the 1% and even less -- the .1% -- it’s just fine. They are richer than ever, more powerful than ever, controlling the political system, disregarding the public.

Source

The US presidential elections are a fucking farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

It was in 1965... who cares

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

that was nasty- live and let live

on his gay marriage comments though ,i think he's right

'marriage is between a man and a woman'

M cebee wrote: »

Says who?

When you say "live and let live" do you actually mean "live and let live as long as they're not gay and looking for the same rights as straight people"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cassel16 wrote: »
    It was in 1965... who cares

The guy who had his hair cut probably harbours a grudge, and is waiting for the right moment for bloody revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Says who?

i think:) he's right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

uh gawd please dont open it

Not everywhere, in some countries it is between two consenting adults who love each other.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The guy who had his hair cut probably harbours a grudge, and is waiting for the right moment for bloody revenge.

The guy who had his hair cut is dead.

i think:) he's right

But who says it has to be between a man and a woman?

I fully support gay marriage.*

*Gays deserve to be miserable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

But I know something about you,
    You went to Cranbrook, That's a private school....

Whole thing reminded me of 8mile.

"mittens kills college youth"

RichieC wrote: »
    "mittens kills college youth"

I'm pretty sure he died from the embarrassment of such a bad haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ideally you'd want a man of deep reflection, thought, principled and intelligent, ethical and not guided by the status quo dictates if they were irrational. You'd want a Picard to be president of the world's most powerful nation with the biggest nuclear arsenal, not a dumbass bully who blindly follows the consensus that difference=gay, particularly with regards to hair styles, maybe he grew out of such narrowmindedness but I wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As I said:

The guy zombie who had his hair cut probably harbours a grudge, and is waiting for the right moment for bloody revenge

Ideally you'd want a man of deep reflection, thought, principled and intelligent, ethical and not guided by the status quo dictates if they were irrational. You'd want a Picard to be president of the world's most powerful nation with the biggest nuclear arsenal, not a dumbass bully who blindly follows the consensus that difference=gay, particularly with regards to hair styles, maybe he grew out of such narrowmindedness but I wouldn't count on it.

I think Obama was most of these things until he actually got elected and received "the chat" from the powers that actually run the country,

• Advertisement

By my reckoning (open to be wrong), he said "Sorry" for the attack - fair enough - but he didn't say sorry and/or excuse himself for the reasons being the attack?

THAT says more about him (and against him), if so!

By my reckoning (open to be wrong), he said "Sorry" for the attack - fair enough - but he didn't say sorry and/or excuse himself for the reasons being the attack?

Without the religious right his defeat to Obama will be nothing short of a landslide.

I don't think, at that age, it was homophobic. More of a reaction at someone 'different'. If the chap was on a scholarship and poor I'd imagine he'd come in for the same treatment.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of our past and current leaders haven't acted in a similar manner when they were younger.

Without the religious right his defeat to Obama will be nothing short of a landslide.

Well with the possible entire gay side of America maybe lending Obama support now just to keep Mitt out, it was good gamble by Obama to out with his statement last night.

By (sly desired?) effect, Mitt's homophobic tendencies will be focused upon him now the whole way through his efforts for running for office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its scary the lengths they go to just to dig up some small high school stuff on you..but what he did was totally wrong,but it shouldnt be brought up like that,he should have got a court order to block the story coming out,it shouldnt be about what so and so did in highschool one day..

• Advertisement

I don't think, at that age, it was homophobic. More of a reaction at someone 'different'. If the chap was on a scholarship and poor I'd imagine he'd come in for the same treatment.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of our past and current leaders haven't acted in a similar manner when they were younger.

Even so if the chap was 'diffrent' - I don't see any apology, sign of regret or withdrawal from Mitt for the reasons behind the attack.

He says "Sorry" much later - after the chap is dead? - buts says nothing of regret about the reasons for it!
    its scary the lengths they go to just to dig up some small high school stuff on you..but what he did was totally wrong,but it shouldnt be brought up like that,he should have got a court order to block the story coming out,it shouldnt be about what so and so did in highschool one day..

I agree in once part but disagree in another way.

All stuff that is done in school might not necessarily be brought up - however in the case of a man becoming the 'most powerful one in the world' with fingers on the nuke buttons, anything that might show his true mental character, is always important.

You'd want a Picard to be president of the world's most powerful nation with the biggest nuclear arsenal

I know they're both bald but Picard and Putin look fairly different.

Well with the possible entire gay side of America maybe lending Obama support now just to keep Mitt out, it was good gamble by Obama to out with his statement last night.

Yeah it was really brave of Obama to say something that pretty much his entire support agrees with anyway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think Obama was most of these things until he actually got elected and received "the chat" from the powers that actually run the country,

Well then he is really is Picardian, he loses every fight he's in. Ok scratch that, America needs a president whose Kirk at the domestic level winning every fight with vested interests/lobbies/corporations, rehabilitating the nation, but whose also Picard on the international stage, eg not trigger happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The lad he bullied must be feeling pretty satisfied now..........

"Bully me, will ya???? BOOM".........Your not gonna be president!!:D

Yeah it was really brave of Obama to say something that pretty much his entire support agrees with anyway. :rolleyes:

Actually - a good part of his own party do regret he came out and said what he said.

See here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/same-sex-marriage-how-will-it-play-politically/2012/05/09/gIQAm9hCEU_story.html?hpid=z1

By (sly desired?) effect, Mitt's homophobic tendencies will be focused upon him now the whole way through his efforts for running for office.

Liberals in North Carolina could have used it few days before amendment one passed, though. there's fair bit of cynicism about it. the log cabin republicans are having none of it.

And on the other side you have all the Christian Conservatives weighing in beind Romney - someone they weren't initially keen on compared to say Santorum. Make no mistake, Romney's vague apology is his way of courting that conservative vote.

Liberals in North Carolina could have used it few days before amendment one passed, though. there's fair bit of cynicism about it. the log cabin republicans are having none of it.
    And on the other side you have all the Christian Conservatives weighing in beind Romney - someone they weren't initially keen on compared to say Santorum. Make no mistake, Romney's vague apology is his way of courting that conservative vote.

I can see a good part of this election just constantly revolving around religion and homosexuality in topics.

Here's a good article of the + and - of Obama and Mitts situation in regard gay marriage and homosexuality: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/president-obamas-calculated-gamble-on-gay-marriage/2012/05/09/gIQAxlsWDU_blog.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

America makes me want to aim a nail gun into my brain sometimes.

That is all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement