Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replacing the finger bar topper on ford 2000

• 10-05-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

but with what?

the finger bar is good, but, , oh well. its time to up grade. . . . grass getting jammed, on and off tractor . .. annoying. .

anyway

Ive been told by the father in law that a PZ 135 would do the job. . . and the tractor would easily handle it.

it has to be fully offset, none of this driving on what your topping etc. . .

thoughts welcome...

is it a pz 135 that im looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

is it a pz 135 that im looking for?

For topping or mowing?
    The PZ135 is a small (4'6"?)drum mower. Your ground would want to be very good to top with it I would think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Bizzum wrote: »
    For topping or mowing?
    The PZ135 is a small (4'6"?)drum mower. Your ground would want to be very good to top with it I would think?

You're spot on. 4'6" mower, not a topper. Good ground would be a great help and they don't like stones! It will cut too close for topping and can't really be lifted to cut the grass higher.

You could get an offset topper but IMO it would be severe enough on a Ford 2000. Topping doesn't have to be exact and if a small bit gets driven on by the wheels, it's not the end of the world.

just to be clear, topping is where im cutting the long grass, leaving about 4-5 inches or what ever for the cattle to eat. ...

mowing is for cutting hay?.

well i want a topper. . . but can u not put skids on the pz? and mower/topper is adjustable. ..

ive read arguments like this before .. ... me thought at the time. .. awh here. .ill keep what i have.. . . but surely ders something better for me. .

just to be clear, topping is where im cutting the long grass, leaving about 4-5 inches or what ever for the cattle to eat. ...

mowing is for cutting hay?.

well i want a topper. . . but can u not put skids on the pz? and mower/topper is adjustable. ..

ive read arguments like this before .. ... me thought at the time. .. awh here. .ill keep what i have.. . . but surely ders something better for me. .

Correct on the mowing vs topping.

I am not aware of skids for the PZ. I vaguely remember some crowd selling some kind of flail carriers that you fitted part way up the drum. I would be worried about the safety aspect. The mower wasn't designed for this.

The PZ CM 135 is quite a heavy piece of machinery. Because of its design and geometry, it can't really be carried above the ground.

Either saty with your fingerbar if you can manage it or invest in a proper topper. A smallish rear mounted topper should cost c €1,000.

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    Correct on the mowing vs topping.

I am not aware of skids for the PZ. I vaguely remember some crowd selling some kind of flail carriers that you fitted part way up the drum. I would be worried about the safety aspect. The mower wasn't designed for this.

The PZ CM 135 is quite a heavy piece of machinery. Because of its design and geometry, it can't really be carried above the ground.

Either saty with your fingerbar if you can manage it or invest in a proper topper. A smallish rear mounted topper should cost c €1,000.

well, i agree. . id put money in to a proper topper, but i feel im caught with a small tractor . .

what decent topper, even trailing, could i pull on the back of the ford 2000

Not promoting this in any way but we use something similar on the back of a MF35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I used a few fingerbars over the years. The last one we had was from memory a Ferguson 60. Kept sharp and oiled it was a sweet little machine.
    What sort have you currently?

Avns1s wrote: »
    Not promoting this in any way but we use something similar on the back of a MF35

thanks Avns1s,

i had just been looking at it :D

id be worried about the weight, but if u were pulling it on a MF35, then i should manage it.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I used a few fingerbars over the years. The last one we had was from memory a Ferguson 60. Kept sharp and oiled it was a sweet little machine.
    What sort have you currently?

i tell ya, i couldnt give ya a name..

although i think its still on it...

its green, and i think its the original paint work.. ..

my granddad bought it brand new, and i was told by my dad when i was young, that it came in a cardboard box, and had to be put together.

ive seen a lot of fingerbars, but most had (i can only say circular tubing for its frame)
    this isnt like those ones. ours always looked like it had more frame to it than any others id have seen

i should take a photo tomorrow, maybe ill get a name to

• Advertisement

thanks Avns1s,

i had just been looking at it :D

id be worried about the weight, but if u were pulling it on a MF35, then i should manage it.

You will have no problem with a 6' topper like this.

We use it on the 35 as opposed to the larger tractor we have because we have some land with rushes. When the bigger tractor and the topper meets a big bunch of rushes you may well lose a shear bolt. Don't mind the bit about losing the shear bolt so much but I do mind the part about getting down to change it.

The 35 will work away with it just fine so your 2000 will have no problem if it in any sort of reasonable nick.

i tell ya, i couldnt give ya a name..

although i think its still on it...

its green, and i think its the original paint work.. ..

my granddad bought it brand new, and i was told by my dad when i was young, that it came in a cardboard box, and had to be put together.

ive seen a lot of fingerbars, but most had (i can only say circular tubing for its frame)
    this isnt like those ones. ours always looked like it had more frame to it than any others id have seen

i should take a photo tomorrow, maybe ill get a name to

Possibly an "Aktiv" (If my memory is still intact!!)

http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=11527562&ad=3329231&s3=true

this is my baby . .. now not this exact one, but this is it...

mine is about 20% old looking from new. . . so its in really good nick. .. . . this ones a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Used to use finger bar mowers on a mf 65, then got a 6 foot topper, much better handles everything I could throw at it. Safer too I feel.

Odelay wrote: »
    Used to use finger bar mowers on a mf 65, then got a 6 foot topper, much better handles everything I could throw at it. Safer too I feel.

is that a 6ft trail topper?

can u show me a pic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

6ft semi offset like in the done deal ad. ours is a Belmac, nothing fancy, bought new, 15 years old now, bit of rust and one new set of flails and works perfect. Would prefer full offset as it does leave the odd dockleaf standing but gets 99%. Neighbour uses it with an mf 35, no bother to it. Only need to get off the tractor for lunch.

Advertisement