Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tractor and loader

• 10-05-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I would appreciate any help or advice I can get on the following.I was looking at changing my tractor. I was very interested in a New Holland 6640 4WD. I think it is around 1995 or so. It has a trima loader. The whole outfit looks very clean. I never had a loader before and would appreciate if anyone could advise me on both tractor and loader. What should I look for. Is this a reliable tractor. Is it cheap to repair if needed. is it good on diesel. Is there any downside to having a loader and are they easy to operate. Is it lively on the road. Indeed is there anything else that comes to mind. Thanks in advance. PS there is numbers on the loader but will have to check .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Hi, 6640 is generally a reliable old bus..theres a fair bit to consider when buying a tractor, esp if its got a loader fitted, as its then open to a lot more wear ..front axle, steering in particular...best advice, moreover if youre buying privately is pay a local mechanic a few quid to come along of an evening and cast his eye over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hilltopman

Thanks for the reply Oldsmokey. Good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Hilltopman wrote: »
    I would appreciate any help or advice I can get on the following.I was looking at changing my tractor. I was very interested in a New Holland 6640 4WD. I think it is around 1995 or so. It has a trima loader. The whole outfit looks very clean. I never had a loader before and would appreciate if anyone could advise me on both tractor and loader. What should I look for. Is this a reliable tractor. Is it cheap to repair if needed. is it good on diesel. Is there any downside to having a loader and are they easy to operate. Is it lively on the road. Indeed is there anything else that comes to mind. Thanks in advance. PS there is numbers on the loader but will have to check .

My neighbour has a 6640 and I have driven it a good bit. Never any problem with it in fairness. His is only 30k I think and fairly dead on the road. Not overly powerful but a good stockmans tractor I would say. Has a right hand shuttle so handy for loader work. Fairly good diesel wise and they have a nice cab in them. I like Trima loaders, they are very tidy the way they are made.

Many thanks for your reply. It is good to hear what you have to say about tractor and loader. I think it is only a bucket on loader. Can other heads be got fairly cheap.Was hoping to do something next week so if anyone else has some advice I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 follower

You have probably considered this already but what if you bought the tractor and loader separately? The reason I say so is my own tractor is causing me trouble the entire time so I was advised to buy a loader so if the tractor breaks down again then I have the loader as back up. Did you end up buying the New Holland 6640? How do you find it?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply follower. I did not have the loader in mind at the beginning. But friends said if comes with the loader then try and buy it that way. They said if you have a loader then you would not be without one. I did not purchase yet but am seriously considering it. Compared with my 6610 there seems to be day & night differences. Thanks again

Advertisement