Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras 2012..will they expand on it?

• 10-05-2012 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

So are they going totry build on this weekend?

Myabe changing the running of it

The one 2 years ago was great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    So are they going totry build on this weekend?

Myabe changing the running of it

The one 2 years ago was great

Hopefully!

I have to say I thought last year was great too.

A few w****rs caused trouble but it was generally great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

Are there any plans to have a Mardi Gras this year?

A quick google and I can't find anything about it happening...?

I'd like to see it as I was working and couldn't enjoy it properly last year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Surely its being pushed by the market quarter people and limerick local heroes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

AFAIK its not happening this year.

The LLH 4th of July is actually happening on the same date as Mardi Gras last year. But as far as I know, its not going ahead due to the amount of bad press it got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I thought it was a shambles last year,wouldn't go again if it was on the same route as last time.

• Advertisement

The Snipe wrote: »
    AFAIK its not happening this year.

The LLH 4th of July is actually happening on the same date as Mardi Gras last year. But as far as I know, its not going ahead due to the amount of bad press it got.

Hopefully it'll be the same kinda street party set-up. I really enjoyed it.

How could they run it right?

Make the drinkzone over 18s only...no drink allowed bought in

That way the scobes prob wouldnt bother

Is 4th July in the Market Quarter to replace Mardi Gras or will it benefit the whole city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

How could they run it right?

Make the drinkzone over 18s only...no drink allowed bought in

That way the scobes prob wouldnt bother
    I hear they're gonna get the Tupac hologram and have it do a gig as far away from the rest of us as possible ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unfortunately these type of events draw every scobe and their umpa lumpa slappers into the city like moths to light. Even if they are not left into the specific area where it is on they will do their utmost outside it to cause as much trouble as possible and drag the city's image into the gutter.

They totally infested the last one and ended up being the main talking point rather than the event itself.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it'll be the same kinda street party set-up. I really enjoyed it.

Its not going to be the same setup. With Mardi-Gras you were confined to a specific area. With the 4th of July, there will be a "pub trail" I guess you could call it, called route 66, where all the different bars put on different entertainment. But that will be across the city, not just in the quarter.
    Is 4th July in the Market Quarter to replace Mardi Gras or will it benefit the whole city?

The 4th of July is going to be across the entire city, from UL, to Peoples Park, to Aurthur Quay Park, everything from Gigs, to twilight markets, to Tai-Chi and angel card readings.

langdang wrote: »
    I hear they're gonna get the Tupac hologram and have it do a gig as far away from the rest of us as possible ;-)

Thats genius! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

What they have planned sounds great Snipey, when's the official announcement?

Launch is going to be in King Johns Castle sometime next week I think. I'll let ye know! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Pity, it was nice the first year.
    Really disappointed that scobes ruin what could could have been another good night for Limerick.

Pity, it was nice the first year.
    Really disappointed that scobes ruin what could could have been another good night for Limerick.

I still haven't made my mind up about whether it was the scobes or the constant nagging (and over-reacting) of the decent ordinary folk who ruined it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bazz26 wrote: »
    Unfortunately these type of events draw every scobe and their umpa lumpa slappers into the city like moths to light. Even if they are not left into the specific area where it is on they will do their utmost outside it to cause as much trouble as possible and drag the city's image into the gutter.

They totally infested the last one and ended up being the main talking point rather than the event itself.

this, any time there's something on in Limerick that might be good for the city, scummers have to ruin it. I've been to things in Galways and Cork and you might see a few heads around but here its something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

I wasnt at Mardi Gras 2010 but seems to have been a success baesd on previous posts here.

Mardi Gras 2011 has been called "Mardi Brawl", "Gardai Gras" etc etc etc.....the event in 2011 seems to have been based at families and don't ask me what gob****e came up with the concept of aiming an adult themed festival everywhere else in the world (New Orleans etc etc) and turning it into a family event in Limerick.

This was in the Limerick Leader last year
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/limerick-set-for-mardi-gras-street-party-1-2821001
    Tony Enright explained that it is a family-friendly event.
    “It will be fantastic. Access will be controlled and it will be all plastic glasses - the emphasis is very much on this being a family event,” he added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wasnt at Mardi Gras 2010 but seems to have been a success baesd on previous posts here.

Mardi Gras 2011 has been called "Mardi Brawl", "Gardai Gras" etc etc etc.....the event in 2011 seems to have been based at families and don't ask me what gob****e came up with the concept of aiming an adult themed festival everywhere else in the world (New Orleans etc etc) and turning it into a family event in Limerick.

This was in the Limerick Leader last year
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/limerick-set-for-mardi-gras-street-party-1-2821001
    Tony Enright explained that it is a family-friendly event.
    “It will be fantastic. Access will be controlled and it will be all plastic glasses - the emphasis is very much on this being a family event,” he added.

the same person who put it on at the wrong time of year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Its plain and simple... the event was great but the people they left in werent - just like any where or anything else. If the security arent going to filter out the trash no one will want to go there. Same as any pub or club.

When they get the securities act sorted out then it'll get a good name again. Cant be any more clear cut than that.

Maybe run the family side of it 5 to 8 and then start the drinkzone at 10pm

• Advertisement

Maybe run the family side of it 5 to 8 and then start the drinkzone at 10pm

With the 4th of July, there is a family thing all day and night -- with things for both drinkers and non-drinkers with all different routes that people can take throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its plain and simple... the event was great but the people they left in werent - just like any where or anything else. If the security arent going to filter out the trash no one will want to go there. Same as any pub or club.

When they get the securities act sorted out then it'll get a good name again. Cant be any more clear cut than that.

Thing is they did stop alot of scumers from getting in. But all that did was make them cause some amount of trouble at the entrances of the event and then onto the adjacent streets. I remember seeing mobs of them on O'Connell Street/Patrick Street drinking booze, fighting and shouting with each other, real animals, which must have been very intimedating for the tourists who were also there at the time.

Having altercations with the Gardai is a way of life for these scobes, just like their parents did when they were young, doing it at these events in front of an audience makes them look hard to their peers.

The main problem with Mardi Gras was that was it was so confined, fitting that many people into such a small area with booze involved was asking for trouble.

The main problem with Mardi Gras was that was it was so confined, fitting that many people into such a small area with booze involved was asking for trouble.

Was thinking the same the parade should not have been in the drink zone

4TH of July is Wednesday this year not sure will that draw a crowd

The thing with riverfest and mardi gras i know from my brother is that only few places benefit so they should look at heading all the city

Was thinking the same the parade should not have been in the drink zone

4TH of July is Wednesday this year not sure will that draw a crowd

The thing with riverfest and mardi gras i know from my brother is that only few places benefit so they should look at heading all the city

4th of July is concentrating on the entire city.

yes its on the Wednesday, but there is plans that hopefully within the next few years that when its on the Saturday, that we will have the largest 4th of July Festival outside of America.

Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

I was at the Mardi Gras last year as well. What really pissed me off was the trouble on the streets. While standing in the street we were almost assaulted by a load of thugs and I saw this on you tube which was next to us

The organizers then had this clown on the local radio saying there was no trouble at Mardi Gras and no arrests...unbelievable. Surely someone with better PR or communication skills could have smoothed things over or at least told the truth. This then really annoyed me....(listen to the audio - Car crash radio!!!)

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/organiser-of-limericks-mardi-gras-says-their-event-was-trouble-free/1c36c1a9-1088-4ecd-9cf3-02bc9f084873

This M.G. was an absolute disaster. I left the area immediately as a group of us were frightned the atmosphere was that bad. Bad enough the trouble makers ruined the night but this guy says "no trouble here" - sure hope the July 4th people are'nt asking him for advice or help on organizing their gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It actually isn't if it's properly policed. Race week in Galway has bigger crowds on Quay street for Ladies day but the organisers are far more clued in.

It actually isn't if it's properly policed. Race week in Galway has bigger crowds on Quay street for Ladies day but the organisers are far more clued in.

Very true but consider you can't develop unless you make mistakes, so its all about learning from them really! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Very true but consider you can't develop unless you make mistakes, so its all about learning from them really! :P

Well when the "mistakes" can lead to a member or members of the public getting injured, then learning from mistakes is really not the way to plan an event. Instead you get in people with plenty of genuine experience of similar events and you err on the side of caution with regards to security and also make arrangements with the local police force.

Advertisement