Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras 2012..will they expand on it?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Snipe wrote: »
    Very true but consider you can't develop unless you make mistakes, so its all about learning from them really! :P

I agree completely, the event should go ahead and hopefully improve each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Kess73 wrote: »
    Very true but consider you can't develop unless you make mistakes, so its all about learning from them really! :P

Well when the "mistakes" can lead to a member or members of the public getting injured, then learning from mistakes is really not the way to plan an event. Instead you get in people with plenty of genuine experience of similar events and you err on the side of caution with regards to security and also make arrangements with the local police force.
    Decoy gig FTW! Tupac headlines "scobe-apalooza" in abandoned storage facility for unstable and flammable chemicals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

langdang wrote: »
    Decoy gig FTW! Tupac headlines "scobe-apalooza" in abandoned storage facility for unstable and flammable chemicals...

I like it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Segregate. Eliminate. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I see on the Market Quarter Facebook page they put up Friday Night a new festival for the June Bank Holiday Weekend....a "Decades Festival"

Short notice buts maybe they are building on Mardi Gras

• Advertisement

Spotted the poster in O'Connells last night, I'll snap it and put it up later on when I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

bigpink wrote: »
    I see on the Market Quarter Facebook page they put up Friday Night a new festival for the June Bank Holiday Weekend....a "Decades Festival"

Short notice buts maybe they are building on Mardi Gras

This has been running in cork for a few years. Every venue picks a different era, encourages people to dress up in the various era's style and music +entertainment from era is provided for the night.

Sounds like a great idea,how does it go down in Cork?

Any idea what will be on for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Sounds like a great idea,how does it go down in Cork?

Any idea what will be on for it?

I haven't attended but it has been huge success in cork by all accounts.

Asked a cork friend about it and they said last years one wasnt great,they said too many decades,not many dressing up,too many venues.They said most people that did dress up did 70s and 80s they said a 80s festival prob be better overall

Wonder would the patrons of Market Quater pubs get into the spirit,nancys seems to be the only one i think would

It needs a street party element.if it was catherine street bourkes,tom collins flas etc would be great

• Advertisement

Well, I'm sure O'Connells would get into the spirit. I was in there Saturday night and they had one of the bar staff wearing the shades and bandana to match the hen party he was doing classes for ;)

But, I'd say the bars would all get involved and kinda "theme the place up" for it.

Well, I'm sure O'Connells would get into the spirit. I was in there Saturday night and they had one of the bar staff wearing the shades and bandana to match the hen party he was doing classes for ;)

But, I'd say the bars would all get involved and kinda "theme the place up" for it.
    Classes or promoting the festival?Take it your the barman lol

Getting alot of people into Fancy dress i think may be hard outside halloween altho its very easy to do

Whats actual on for this festival

Getting alot of people into Fancy dress i think may be hard outside halloween altho its very easy to do

They started doing Cocktail making classes! :P

No no no I'm not the barman at all! I just live in there! (As Xsiborg may have learned yesterday how bad I am, when I spent 9 hours in there yesterday! :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DickBunce

Asked a cork friend about it and they said last years one wasnt great,they said too many decades,not many dressing up,too many venues.They said most people that did dress up did 70s and 80s they said a 80s festival prob be better overall

Wonder would the patrons of Market Quater pubs get into the spirit,nancys seems to be the only one i think would

It needs a street party element.if it was catherine street bourkes,tom collins flas etc would be great

The OP asked "will they expand on it". I don't think they will be able to. I was one of those caught up in the trouble last year and quickly got out of there. It had the appearances of something that was out of control. The promoter Tony Enright has a habit of organising thing that end up badly...
    Heres another one of his events at Synnotts in Castletroy that went bad with loads of trouble.....

Thirty arrests on Saturday night in Limerick

Limerick Leader
    Published on Monday 26 May 2008 15:07

MUNSTER'S victory celebrations were dampened in Castletroy after a row broke out outside Synnotts pub on Saturday night resulting in the arrest of nine people.
    Gardai from Henry Street Garda Station went to the car park of the pub twice, where a big screen had been erected for rugby fans, because of reports of public disorder.
    A youth was arrested on the first occasion and the gardai returned shortly after 8pm in a garda van and two patrol cars to arrest a further eight people.
    Six people were charged under the Public Order Act and are due before Limerick District Court in the coming weeks.
    If I was a betting person I would bet that no way will there be any street party given the fact that the promoter has had all this trouble in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

They started doing Cocktail making classes! :P

No no no I'm not the barman at all! I just live in there! (As Xsiborg may have learned yesterday how bad I am, when I spent 9 hours in there yesterday! :P )

i dunno snipe, im picturing you in a pair of flourescent lycra leggings (its not pretty! :p), but the other day as i was passing by jury's inn i saw a group of girls tottering up the street in heels and 80's luminous lycra leggings and liotards, i figure they must have been in town for a hen night or something, but it gave me a giggle anyway... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Was thinking the same the parade should not have been in the drink zone

4TH of July is Wednesday this year not sure will that draw a crowd

The thing with riverfest and mardi gras i know from my brother is that only few places benefit so they should look at heading all the city
    4th of July is concentrating on the entire city.

yes its on the Wednesday, but there is plans that hopefully within the next few years that when its on the Saturday, that we will have the largest 4th of July Festival outside of America.

That sounds daft - Gotta have it on a Wednesday when everyone has work the next morning because it just so happens to be independance day across the Atlantic?

Why not have it on a Monday at 5am - The day and time George Washingtons sisters cat was born.

- Although on a positive note, am sure all the Scumbags won't want to be out headbutting and glassing people when they have to be in work at 9am the following morning.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Its not going to be the same setup. With Mardi-Gras you were confined to a specific area. With the 4th of July, there will be a "pub trail" I guess you could call it, called route 66, where all the different bars put on different entertainment. But that will be across the city, not just in the quarter.

How will this differ from any other night in town? It'll surely be the same tired covers bands in all the pubs, no? I'd love to be wrong about this...
    The 4th of July is going to be across the entire city, from UL, to Peoples Park, to Aurthur Quay Park, everything from Gigs, to twilight markets, to Tai-Chi and angel card readings.

And again, just like Riverfest, Patricks Day festival/parade and every other 'special public event', some unnamed 'entity' will be making no effort whatsoever in terms of decent music or staging/production. "Ah aure, get the lads to play, they're handy enough, and put them on the steps in Arthurs Quay Park, a few of them old speaker boxes piled up and throw an oul tarp over them... Be grand... No one will notice. We'll make a packet out of it waaaahahaha."

It never ends.

g

godfrey wrote: »
    How will this differ from any other night in town? It'll surely be the same tired covers bands in all the pubs, no? I'd love to be wrong about this...

And again, just like Riverfest, Patricks Day festival/parade and every other 'special public event', some unnamed 'entity' will be making no effort whatsoever in terms of decent music or staging/production. "Ah aure, get the lads to play, they're handy enough, and put them on the steps in Arthurs Quay Park, a few of them old speaker boxes piled up and throw an oul tarp over them... Be grand... No one will notice. We'll make a packet out of it waaaahahaha."

It never ends.

Exactlymypont we have all these events but there is nothing to make them really good
    Also it seems its the same event management company that has all the contracts to do these events:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

You are correct. The same company has been 'managing' events in Limerick for at least 2 terms of contract. Being a politically charged job, I imagine no one else wants to touch it! Imagine having to deal with the numpties in the city council...

g

Unfortunately, the scale of the event LLH were saying has to be scaled back, due to restrictions by the council, however the "Mardi Gras" style route (Route 66) Is still in place.

And I agree with what you were saying about FE. It is a political position but they have no involvement with the projects that LLH, or the Market Quater are running.

• Advertisement
Advertisement