Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Cork City

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Looking for a gym in Cork city centre. I'll be doing weight training, but I also like to do some kickboxing on a punchbag and swimming from time to time so those included would be ideal. I'm also looking for monthly/ 3 month membership

If anyone could post up possible gyms and an idea for membership that'd be great! :D

Thanks in advance

(I was a member of the Locker Room last year, but found it to be quite lacking in equipment, as well as using a finger-printing system)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sano Vitae, under the Clarion.

They have plenty of free weights, a decent number of weight machines, a ton of cardio machines.

Then a room inside the work out room has a Heavy Bag, it's not always up, but there is a step ladder there to put it up yourself if you want.

The pool is great, the Sauna is a god send, and the Jacuzzi is heaven.

The place is generally not too packed (but I am a morning gym person)

They do quarterly memberships from like 175 for off peak.

It's a good place and I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

The Mardyke Arena just outside the city centre is also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The Mardyke used to haver a dedicated punching bag up, this is no longer the case and if you want to use a bag you need to use one of the exercise rooms upstairs which has a storage room full of bags and heavy bags, the room isn't always free so it's not a guarantee. Other than that it's probably the best gym in the gym, clean, modern, good equipment and a pool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

the mardyke is probably best for all that. however during peak times the weights room is far too packed

the locker room on washington street is very good but it has no pool. its been a while since i was there last so i can't remember if they have a punching bag but as for machines and weights they are very well equiped and even at the busiest times i never had to wait long for a machine. it has no parking however

ive been to the clarion san vitae about 4 times and wasn't impressed at all. unless its changed in the last year the free weights are minimal and the non-cardio machines were being used as seats for men who were there for a long chat. seems more of a social club to me

most gyms will give you a free trial, use them as gyms cost a lot of money. go at a peak time or your usual gym time to get a feel for how busy it is. but do not give them your real number. i went for a trial in a gym once and for the year they kept txting and ringing me asking to join. was a lot of hassle to get them to stop

EDIT: just saw there you said you didn't like the locker room. sorry for not seeing that. i've been to a lot of gyms in the last 4 years and found it one of the best for weights and cardio. but i see what you mean about their finger print system, it never worked for me which was annoying

Do the clarion still have a smith machine and no other benches for weights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

EyeSight wrote: »
    the locker room on washington street is very good but it has no pool. its been a while since i was there last so i can't remember if they have a punching bag but as for machines and weights they are very well equiped and even at the busiest times i never had to wait long for a machine. it has no parking however

EDIT: just saw there you said you didn't like the locker room. sorry for not seeing that. i've been to a lot of gyms in the last 4 years and found it one of the best for weights and cardio. but i see what you mean about their finger print system, it never worked for me which was annoying

Just as a caveat, this is a deliberate criticism of the locker room.

The Locker room has a very out of date cardio and weights range. The machines need to be replaced. Having used the crosstrainers there compared to the new xtrainers in the Mardyke, there is no comparison.

Much of the resistance equipment is damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced.:
    • A typical example being the preacher curl, which is missing the safety catch on the left side, so the bar can just slide off onto your foot.
    • Another being the spring locks, which are all loose, at on stage I was doing a barbell curl and one of the plates literally flew off the bar (I had a springlock on) and bounced across the room. It was a 20kg plate moving from shoulder height across a room. It was quiet so there was nobody around, but in fairness that's a disgrace.
    • The cable machine has the pulley wheels to contend with, on the left side the resistance is much greater than the right side (I can do full stack one arm rows with the left side and have to use both arms for the right side). The pulley wheel actually flew off at one stage when I was lifting the weight.
    • Pretty much all the barbells have loose ends on them, something a €2 Allen key would tighten, hasn't been done is nearly a year I'd say.

The staff in the locker room are all very friendly and pleasant, but it is pretty evident the owners couldn't give a **** about the state of the place (this was insinuated to me by three members of staff working there) so I cancelled my membership. I'd rather pay twice or three times as much (which I literally do now) and have a diminished risk of damaging myself or somebody when using the equipment than to go to that place and risk my ****ing life :P

i agree the mardyke is way better equipped and has better maintenance, but they seriously neglect their members who do a lot of weight training. the weights room is tiny for a gym of that size and despeite all the extensions and add ons they never seem to try and increase its size. have you ever been there at around 6pm? you'd spend your time waiting rather than working out. they never open up the squad gym when it's not used by squads. they did briefly last year and it was great.
    once again, it is a great gym besides that

regarding the locker room, while i haven't been there in about a year and while their equipment isn't as good as the mardyke(it's hard to compete with them) i didn't find it to be as unsafe as you say. the main thing i loved about the gym was that i could go at any time and not have to wait for anything and the other lads there had good gym etiquette(although there was one or two lads trying to push steroids). you could just go in, do your workout and leave with no fuss. i would only recommend this place to someone who does a lot of core work or weight training compared to cardio

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how busy is the mardyke in the morning?

how busy is the mardyke in the morning?
    its not usually busy around that time. if i can i always prefer the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

There is a gym in St Finbarr's Gaa club in Togher and I think it is cheaper than most gyms.I play handball down there.If you would like to try handball get back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

hello, sorry to bring up an old thread, but im also looking to join a gym in cork city, is there any ye could reccomend that also has a pool/sauna etc...? and preferably not the mardyke, too many students!

many thanks,
    td

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

tonyduggan wrote: »
    hello, sorry to bring up an old thread, but im also looking to join a gym in cork city, is there any ye could reccomend that also has a pool/sauna etc...? and preferably not the mardyke, too many students!

many thanks,
    td

NRG On the western road?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

NRG On the western road?

thanks for the reply, ill look that place up. are you a member yourself? is it any good?

edit - i just checked the costs there, over a grand for a years membership! any place around a bit cheaper than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

thanks for the reply, ill look that place up. are you a member yourself? is it any good?

edit - i just checked the costs there, over a grand for a years membership! any place around a bit cheaper than that?
    It shouldnt be that much im always getting texts of their special offers and one of the last ones was a couples membership 2 people for €1050.

whaaaatttttt ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

There is a gym in St Finbarr's Gaa club in Togher and I think it is cheaper than most gyms.I play handball down there.If you would like to try handball get back to me.

I joined this recently to play squash, do I get access to the gym also?

Advertisement