Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV Show - Paddies On Oz

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Starts on TV3 next Tuesday @ 10pm. I will definitely tuning in, but I hope it doesn't show the Irish in a bad light in Aussie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Starts on TV3 next Tuesday @ 10pm. I will definitely NOT tuning in, but I hope it doesn't show the Irish in a bad light in Aussie.

I just fine tuned your post for you there, hope you dont mind to much.

Im fairly certain it will turn into the sort of show that every parent wont wont to see, for reference tune into the thread about Anti-Social Behaviour in Perth, gives a brief but fascinating insight into whats going on, you have almost everybody appalled by it and a few trying to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

TV3 pick the worst possible stereotypes never.

Talafornia in the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

There was a similar programme on Sky waaaay back in 2000 or 2001.. it was quite good from what I remember. Sure, some curbside dramas outside the establishment but the spirit of the hardy backpacker was there. Does anyone recall the name? Would love to see if there are any clips on the web.

After watching it, and seeing many friends going over, I did the WHV adventure as well - one of the best things people can do in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Australia Uncovered

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

TV3 pick the worst possible stereotypes never.

Talafornia in the Sun.

Agreed. If it's TV3 you can guarantee it's going to be bottom of the barrel stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i tuned in. im not sure what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smile it confuses people

I liked it from friends over there it seems to show it as they portray it but I'd have like to heard more information like regional work and how they cope with missin home but that's just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Christ , not more shyte from TV3 - programme will have been made with a budget of 2 euro ( like everything TV 3 pump out ). I shudder to think how bad it will be.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any way of watching it over here thrrough the tv3 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Would be great if they didn't restrict the online watching of it to Ireland only. Anyone know of a way around that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Also known as Banged up Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If they just purchased the in cell footage from the Melbourne custody centre on a weekend there is your show right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Watched it last night...

So far its all about people in Sydney on WHV and how they work and play hard.

I was hoping they would show some families that have moved over there to see how their standard of living has changed for the better (or worse)

I'll watch it next week as its about Melbourne and hopefully they will get on to Brisbane at some stage cause thats where myself and family are thinking of heading once the visa comes through which will be any day now hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

families wouldn't be the lowest common denominator as young people getting pissed and causing trouble or getting into all sorts so not as film worthy
    But I would also like to see how genuine people and families are getting on and coping with such a major shift in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jwilco

It was ok, was expecting it to be worse and painting everyone out there in a bad light.

Ah, I just remembered, someone from TV3 had an ad on gumtree a while back looking to talk to people that had moved here.

Anyone managed to rip it from their online player and host it elsewhere? Could do with a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ya same here:D must be some way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I watched it and tbh it was better than I thought it would be. There were 3 groups - a group of building lads, a group of professional girls (who were rather nice on the eye and naturally enough worked in finance in the city) and a big group of mixed backpackers but only 2 girls of them spoke. They all came across fairly well. The girls I'm sure would have been of interest to a lot of professional girls looking to go over. They were showed walking around in tight jogging pants around coogee walk track and ordering coffees etc. :D They didn't show a huge amount about their work situations and how they managed to secure work. They generally admitted though that they hadn't integrated with the Aussies as they had their own social group etc playing football with Clann na nGael. It has been all single people so far, no couples or families or people who have met an Aussie.
    Next week it is in Melbourne and I presume after that it will be in Perth.
    I hope the next shows go a bit deeper and follow people around re securing work and having to secure accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I thought it kind of showed the two types of Irish over in Oz. The 3 women looked to be a bit professional with seemingly good jobs in finance and you got the idea that they weren't the types that went out on the lash every night and looked as if they wanted to make a living there.

The other group of about 8 I thought represented the type that were into the party scene and nearly every scene they were in they were either tanked or in the process of getting tanked. They showed that Cock & Bull pub that's usually referred to on this forum and Aslan were playing a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Well I guess we are giving away a bit now but sure a lot of the lads here won't see it anyway. Ya some of the scenes were v typical backpacker stuff....the lads from the buildings in Cock n Bull in their hi-vis jackets, trying their best to fill themselves to the brim with alcohol and then pull some bird. They certainly wouldn't have been pulling the girls! It came across as being a place v much for a single 20 something person. But I guess that's a big part of TV3 audience.

• Advertisement

Got it working, used the first one on the list http://spys.ru/free-proxy-list/IE/
    I am using Firefox so it's File>Options>Advanced>Network>Settings, tick Manual Proxy configuration, paste the IP address in there (HTTP Proxy) and the port is 80 for the first one. Delete cookies and the video will work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I hope the next shows go a bit deeper and follow people around re securing work and having to secure accommodation.

Not going to happen - we're talking TV3 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How come you never see people who come out to Aus, and would like to get in a band, or show of their paintings, or something from that side of life.

I suppose they wouldn't make good numpty tv?

I watched the opening bit of the show and it's builders, women playing GAA, a few pi55ed backpackers, and that's it. So I turned it off. The usual sh*te......

Why can it not be a clip of John who is an artist or a writer, and is going to the alternative spots in Sydney instead of the cock and bull and f**king Aslan ffs...........

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I'd wish as a nation we could move on from the whole drunken Irish 'rippin it up abroad' thing. I'd say there are so many great stories about successful Irish in Oz

Was watching Masterchef the other night and the red team were cooking in a two hat restaurant (Bistro Ortolan) in Sydney. Was opened by an Irish guy called Paul McGrath from Cork. Why not do an interview with him instead of a couple of bats on WHV's??

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Watched it on player last night, better then the usual dross TV3 put out.

I'd wish as a nation we could move on from the whole drunken Irish 'rippin it up abroad' thing. I'd say there are so many great stories about successful Irish in Oz

Was watching Masterchef the other night and the red team were cooking in a two hat restaurant (Bistro Ortolan) in Sydney. Was opened by an Irish guy called Paul McGrath from Cork. Why not do an interview with him instead of a couple of bats on WHV's??

Exactly. As a guy who is into his music, the first thing I sought out in the big cities was where the gigs were at, alternative bars etc etc.
    Aus got such a bad rap as being "uncultured" and Sydney had so much to offer on that front. More than Ireland.
    I was in these places, and met very few Irish, but they were there all the same. There is a music promoter in Sydney who is doing well, from Dublin. Why not a bit on him?
    There is so much more to show than builders and GAA heads on the pi55....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

seachto7 wrote: »
    Exactly. As a guy who is into his music, the first thing I sought out in the big cities was where the gigs were at, alternative bars etc etc.
    Aus got such a bad rap as being "uncultured" and Sydney had so much to offer on that front. More than Ireland.
    I was in these places, and met very few Irish, but they were there all the same. There is a music promoter in Sydney who is doing well, from Dublin. Why not a bit on him?

Err this is TV3 you are talking to, who brings such quality TV shows like:
    http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=dublinhousewives

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

seachto7 wrote: »

Like where Aslan were playing then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I watched it and it was alright ....was actually better than I expected, wasn't too unrealistic.

Funny enough those bunch girls that worked in the city, I think I met one of them before somewhere at least a few years ago and I reckon they are probably sponsored.

• Advertisement

Dubnobass wrote: »
    Like where Aslan were playing then? :D

Aslan are tailor made for the likes of the cock and bull........

Advertisement