Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have started a new Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab.

Just login and have fun!!

telnet 72.205.54.70 49001
    telnet 72.205.54.70 49002
    telnet 72.205.54.70 49003

For network diagram and updates, go to http://labswitch.blogspot.com.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

That's just awesome - Thanks.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Nice one lanswitcher, I'll have a proper look at this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lanswitcher

A 4th switch has been added, a Catalyst 3560. :)

telnet 72.205.54.70 49004

Latest topology is at http://labswitch.blogspot.com.

That's just awesome - Thanks.

Nate

No problem, I'm originally from Ireland. So just want to help everyone out here.

The free lab now has 6 switches (4 of them L3 capable), and can be used to simulate Cisco's 3 layer model: access, distribution, and core.

telnet 72.205.54.70 49004
    telnet 72.205.54.70 49005
    telnet 72.205.54.70 49006

I don't think I will add anymore. I might add some 2621 routers as part of a routing tunnel lab.

Topology posted at http://labswitch.blogspot.com .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Thanks very much! ;)

2 routers have been added to the lab. There is also a tunnel to a lab site in Bucharest.

If you have some Cisco routers or switches you want to tunnel to my lab, please contact me. Thanks!

Fantastic stuff

Nate

Nate, I assume you're in Ireland. What's the job market like over there right now, for IT, I mean. Okay, good, bad, sucks?

I hear conflicting reports...brain drain...but importing foreign workers?!?

Fantastic stuff

Nate

For a Network engineer there seems to ample well paid positions for the experienced engineer. Myself, I'm trying to break into the field, have the certs but crucially no experience, nobody seems interested in anything less that 3 or 4 years experience. If you have that your laughing.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Logain

For a Network engineer there seems to ample well paid positions for the experienced engineer. Myself, I'm trying to break into the field, have the certs but crucially no experience, nobody seems interested in anything less that 3 or 4 years experience. If you have that your laughing.

Nate

Hi Nate, I have the same problem. Cisco Certs but no experience, So no one wants to know. 3-5 years experience is asked by almost everyone. I don't have a degree so I cant get on the jobsbridge scheme to do an internship as all the IT support and admin internships require 3rd level.

I went the FETAC route and there seems to be no allowance/interest in non traditional students.

I am considering leaving Ireland to find an entry level job, maybe I will return one day when I have enough experience to be considered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are you guys honestly trying to walk into a advanced networking role with just a CCNA?

You have to work your way up. Aim for helpdesk or desktop support roles, try to move up when you have it. A CCNA will get you a interview. Get more certs while your there. After two or three years if you get no promotion, be about what you did there and move on.

But don't think your going to stroll into a network admin job straight away. FFS, I spent my last week working on H3C, Procurve and Cisco gear and would feel iffy about heading into a job where I did that as my only role. The CCNA prepares you for nothing but the basics of networking. There is a whole world of working in any IT support role that has nothing to do with networking.

Are you guys honestly trying to walk into a advanced networking role with just a CCNA?

Please quote where I said that. I am well aware of the need to serve my time, so to speak - however even the current available Help-desk roles require about 2 years experience. Trust me I've applied for just about everything :)

Occasionally however, Junior/Graduate level stuff does pop up for networking roles - but it is rare.

Nate

Please quote where I said that. I am well aware of the need to serve my time, so to speak - however even the current available Help-desk roles require about 2 years experience. Trust me I've applied for just about everything :)

I actually find that quite hard to believe, honestly send my on your CV and I'll take a look at it. You have to be missing something huge to be passed over for a helpdesk role with a CCNA.

And if its a case where a third level degree is a requirement to get past a recruitment agency or HR department, lie. Be honest in the interview as to why you did it, but just lie before that point.
    Occasionally however, Junior/Graduate level stuff does pop up for networking roles - but it is rare.

Nate

Yeah they are rare. And now days it rarer still to see a actual immediate graduate get the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Logain

You have to work your way up. Aim for helpdesk or desktop support roles, try to move up when you have it. A CCNA will get you a interview. Get more certs while your there. After two or three years if you get no promotion, be about what you did there and move on.

But don't think your going to stroll into a network admin job straight away. FFS, I spent my last week working on H3C, Procurve and Cisco gear and would feel iffy about heading into a job where I did that as my only role. The CCNA prepares you for nothing but the basics of networking. There is a whole world of working in any IT support role that has nothing to do with networking.

Hi Cuddlesworth. TBH I don't expect to get near a live network. I am aiming for level 1 support or helpdesk. As I mentioned above "entry level".

By the way folks they are looking for CCNA with no experience in Cork apply to stream in Santry if interested.

I actually find that quite hard to believe, honestly send my on your CV and I'll take a look at it.

Good stuff are you in position to help? Or are you just curious?

Nate

Curious. But if there is a problem with your CV your not going to get anywhere. And I've seen some stonkers recently.

Ok I'll bite - check PM. Perhaps we shouldn't derail this thread further as it is quite useful.

Nate

Advertisement