Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study?

• 10-05-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

How much study is everyone doing?
    I'm currently doing about 4 hours mon-sat.
    I feel calm about the exams but at the back of my mind something is telling me that I'm not doing enough work and I'm going to mess up.
    I got 530 in the mocks and need 475 but I've heard people of dropping by 100 points so this may be the reason for my conscience pestering me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Wkds wrote: »
    I feel calm about the exams but at the back of my mind something is telling me that I'm not doing enough work and I'm going to mess up.
    I got 530 in the mocks and need 475 but I've heard people of dropping by 100 points so this may be the reason for my conscience pestering me.

I guess 3-4 hours mon - friday.
    Except thurs I usually get a bit more done cos Im taking the day off.
    Then sat and sun trying to get at least 7. Not sure how well Im keeping up though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

biohaiid wrote: »
    I guess 3-4 hours mon - friday.
    Except thurs I usually get a bit more done cos Im taking the day off.
    Then sat and sun trying to get at least 7. Not sure how well Im keeping up though. :/
    That seems to be a fair bit. Is all of that study or is hw included?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

I'm doing about 5-6 during the week and 7 a day on the weekend. If I were you I'd block that voice out. I'd say your doing about as much as you should but the real question you should ask yourself is if it's effective study. Just staring at a book or organising a folder etc doesn't cut it. The only way I could imagine someone losing a hundred points is if they got way more than they needed, took those points for granted and did sweet **** all for the rest of the year. As long as you keep up what your doing and do it effectively you'll be fine if not you'll improve. Be Happy!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Went through it all 2 years ago, thats a perfectly acceptable amount of study. The main thing is you feel prepared :) there is no right or wrong amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

That seems to be a fair bit. Is all of that study or is hw included?

Apperently not enough according to the timetables the teachers have made :/
    Homework included.

• Advertisement

Derick990 wrote: »
    I'm doing about 5-6 during the week and 7 a day on the weekend. If I were you I'd block that voice out. I'd say your doing about as much as you should but the real question you should ask yourself is if it's effective study. Just staring at a book or organising a folder etc doesn't cut it. The only way I could imagine someone losing a hundred points is if they got way more than they needed, took those points for granted and did sweet **** all for the rest of the year. As long as you keep up what your doing and do it effectively you'll be fine if not you'll improve. Be Happy!:)
    To be honest whatever I feel whatever I'm doing is good study and if i feel myself drifting I take a break. I guess I'm just worried that the lc will be corrected way harder than it was in the mocks. How many points is everyone aiming for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

4 hours a night including homework, I'm doing no more or no less. 5 days a week and then I do 7 on Sat and take Sunday off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Oh and 550, hoping for med. No idea on HPat yet, got my parents to look at it. I don't want to know, they seemed happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Derick990 wrote: »
    To be honest whatever I feel whatever I'm doing is good study and if i feel myself drifting I take a break. I guess I'm just worried that the lc will be corrected way harder than it was in the mocks. How many points is everyone aiming for?
    Aiming for 500.. Hopefully I'll get it! Should do with all the study I'm doing!

Oh and 550, hoping for med. No idea on HPat yet, got my parents to look at it. I don't want to know, they seemed happy!
    Would you not look at it? Might give you an extra bit of motivation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm more preoccupied with not disappointing myself with the grades I want to achieve, it may sound stupid but my Grades are more important to me than my points (I realise that makes no sense since grades=points) but I don't want to go below certain grades in certain subjects if you get what i'm saying? For example
    • English- A2
    • Business- A1
    • Geography-A2
    • Economics-A2
    • Music-A2
    • French-B2

I would be very disappointed if I got below these grades in my subjects, and I have a feeling that may just happen! :(

French
    I know a B2 mighn't seem very high in comparison to what other people are looking for, but does anyone have any idea how I could get this? My Oral went really, really well. I was extremely happy with it. Made no errors basically from what I can remember, got in my tough topics, subjunctives etc. Does anyone know in or around what % out of 100 I could be hoping for? To take the pressure off a bit? It's the comprehensions in particular i'm worried about. Some day I could get 50/60 and other days I could get 25/60 :( It's so off-putting.

English
    Even though I got an A2 in the Mock, i'm worried about not keeping it to the same level. In particular, Paper I and Hamlet are worrying me. I know the Comprehensions are fine, but the Section B seems quite random at times and the huge variety in Hamlet Questions they can ask is really irritating. Do you think if I knew the following characters well (Hamlet, Gertrude, Polonius, Horatio, Claudius) and the Importance of Soliloquy's, Imagery, A dramatic scene, Deception & Loyalty/Betrayal i'd be ok?

I'm more preoccupied with not disappointing myself with the grades I want to achieve, it may sound stupid but my Grades are more important to me than my points (I realise that makes no sense since grades=points) but I don't want to go below certain grades in certain subjects if you get what i'm saying? For example
    • English- A2
    • Business- A1
    • Geography-A2
    • Economics-A2
    • Music-A2
    • French-B2

I would be very disappointed if I got below these grades in my subjects, and I have a feeling that may just happen! :(

French
    I know a B2 mighn't seem very high in comparison to what other people are looking for, but does anyone have any idea how I could get this? My Oral went really, really well. I was extremely happy with it. Made no errors basically from what I can remember, got in my tough topics, subjunctives etc. Does anyone know in or around what % out of 100 I could be hoping for? To take the pressure off a bit? It's the comprehensions in particular i'm worried about. Some day I could get 50/60 and other days I could get 25/60 :( It's so off-putting.

English
    Even though I got an A2 in the Mock, i'm worried about not keeping it to the same level. In particular, Paper I and Hamlet are worrying me. I know the Comprehensions are fine, but the Section B seems quite random at times and the huge variety in Hamlet Questions they can ask is really irritating. Do you think if I knew the following characters well (Hamlet, Gertrude, Polonius, Horatio, Claudius) and the Importance of Soliloquy's, Imagery, A dramatic scene, Deception & Loyalty/Betrayal i'd be ok?
    I feel your pain for the comprehensions they can be ridiculous some years especially the 2nd comp. As regards to hammy you will defo be grand for that. A character is nailed on to come up isn't it? I'm just learning the characters of Hamlet and Claudius really well. But by doing this I could have a decent answer on most of the themes.

• English- A2
    • Business- A1
    • Geography-A2
    • Economics-A2
    • Music-A2
    • French-B2

French

English
    Personally I'd say you probably got 90% or something in regards to French imho. Could be wrong though :p That's all I'm doing for Hamlet and I'm going for the A1 so I hope it's enough :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Only really started studying about a week ago, I'm doing a few hours a day. Trying to do at least half an exam paper in one subject each day (well, in the sciences, not English etc) as well as general study.

Really scared I'll drop from my pres. I got 570 and ideally I'd like to go up a bit from that, I really think I can improve a lot in physics, chemistry and applied maths as well as bringing my A2s in maths and biology to A1s.

I'm determined to study a lot more from now until the exams, because I know how devastated I'd be if I did worse than the pres. I don't really know how much time I spend studying, but I'm making use of lunch times and free classes in school now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If it's after school usually 2/3 hours. Since I'm starting to stay at home I can get about 6/7 hours but usually I focus on specific subjects like 3 a day sometimes 4. Everytime I go to school I seem to have wasted my time so I have to just go in for English , I didn't really do anything study today. Tomorrow me and friends did plan to not go school but hang out instead. Now I'm not so sure or I'll see them for a little while . I can't keep wasting the free time that I have. I've not done mocks either and I still use my books for answering questions in the paper. I have started to learn them off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I am doing about 5 hours a day after school and on weekends about 7 hours and hoping for these grades:
    Biology-B2
    Spanish-B2
    Geography-A1
    Chemistry-C1
    English-A2
    Irish-B1

I really have done a lot of study over past 2/3 months so should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Haven't done a rats, I wish I felt guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I have no idea what college course I'm aiming for :D I failed miserably at the Hpat

I study as often as possible. Taking days off occasionally. Got up at 7 this morning and I'm stopping around 12 once I get this Chemistry paper done. Take half hour breaks during the day

Aims are:

Mocks : Target

Irish A2 : A1
    English B2 : If I pass I'll be happy
    German B1 : B1
    Maths C2 : B1
    Ag Science B2 : A1
    Biology A1 : A1
    Chemistry A2 : A1

I'll probably go down from my mocks realistically:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Study about half an hour. Hoping for all A1s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I just do what I can - if I dont start til 7pm I dont stay up til all hours trying to compensate :L
    Makes me wonder if I'll get the grades I want or not but meh. Ideally I'd like an A1 in French and A2/A1s in Geography, Irish and English, a C2 or higher in maths and a B2 or more in business. I think I'd be happy with a C3 in history...
    I feel like thats perfectly within reach unless Irish goes badly; the mock was a real best care scenario kind of test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'm trying to do about 2 hours a day myself. Have been focusing a lot more on physics (I want a A1/2) and biology (also want an A1/2, but would be happy enough with a B1).

Today I left school after my physics double class and my single bio class. Plan to finish off all mechanics Qs and start the electricity Qs today. Also want to revise Unit 1 of bio. If I find I have more time I'll write out detailed plans for my comparative for GV+V and LG.

Aiming for 350, although would love to get higher.

Good luck OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

im studying from 6am - 10pm on weekends. i take breaks for 30 mins at 11am, 3pm, 7pm. NO PAIN, NO GAIN is what i say.

im hoping for pharmacy because my HPAT isnt high enough :(

my mocks were like this:

Maths A1
    English A2
    German B1

Biology A1
    Chemistry A1
    Economics A2 :(
    Ag. Science A1

kitty9 wrote: »
    im studying from 6am - 10pm on weekends. i take breaks for 30 mins at 11am, 3pm, 7pm. NO PAIN, NO GAIN is what i say.

my mocks were like this:

Maths A1
    English A2
    German B1

Biology A1
    Chemistry A1
    Ag. Science A1
    That all your doing? :D Seriously though how do you stay focused/motivated for that length of time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think it'd be unwise to take kitty seriously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Find a small room to study in and get someone to lock the door :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I think it'd be unwise to take kitty seriously ;)

lol apart from my eccentric posts in after hours and stuff, those were my results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aomame

Honestly I've not been feeling motivated at all recently :( The teachers are giving us loads of homework, mostly revision essays, and I want to keep up with them and study too but instead I end up contemplating all of that work and then just not doing it. I'm usually ok at weekends if I start early but weekdays are a disaster. I come home from school and try to study but I just fall asleep or read the same thing over and over again without actually learning anything. I got 540 in the mocks and I have no idea how because I was very unprepared and not expecting much, but I do need those points for my course! These were my mock grades;

English: A1
    Classics: A1
    Biology: A1
    German: B1
    Geography: B2
    Irish: B3
    Maths (OL): B1

I wouldn't mind going up in geography and German, but I'd be over the moon if everything else stayed the same! If I can download "How to Study" to my brain somewhere please someone let me know! It's a skill I have yet to develop as I have unfortunately discovered this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

my mocks were like this:

Maths A1
    English A2
    German B1

Biology A1
    Chemistry A1
    Ag. Science A1

The road to failure is a bittersweet one no doubt.

reznov wrote: »
    The road to failure is a bittersweet one no doubt.

thanks reznov.

any chance of some skype so u can show me ur bits? :D

• Advertisement

thanks reznov.

any chance of some skype so u can show me ur bits? :D
    There's something fishy going on here :cool:

Advertisement