Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green is the colour.(RTE Documentary)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looks cool, hopefully it'll span a lot more than just the international team.

First lad talking was a history lecturer of mine, was really good and I think thats where I began to show a wider interest in football. Also nice to hear Bray get a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watched the first two programmes,great viewing,last nights one threw up a few things

The FAI turning down the chance to go to the 1950 World Cup
    Players from the North and South playing for both countries on the same weekend!!
    The FAI squandering all the money they made during the League Of Irelands boom years in the 50s and 60s,maybe if the money had been pumped back into the game,the league would still be getting decent crowds today.
    The "big five" selection team for the National squad and only for Johnny Giles housemate reading the paper in Manchester,Giles wouldnt have known he was picked for Ireland

The clip of Eammon Dunphy strutting his stuff against Spain in the 1966 World Cup play off,Inesita wouldnt get a look in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

maxi mccann talking about playing against united

getting thrown outta school for playing football instead of gaa

great stuff

Don Givens scoring a hat-trick against the Russians and having to thumb a lift back to the hotel after as the team bus got stuck in traffic and he and Eoin Hand had to catch a plane back to England,two of them in the team track suits,Don had the match ball and some fella picked them up and asked them "Have ye been to the match lads?" :D

I hope RTE release this series on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My father was at that USSR match said it was one of the best he had ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

The Irish team giving the Nazi salute was worth watching

The Irish team giving the Nazi salute was worth watching

Ya I never before seen or heard about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Pretty good so far. Not mad about Maloney presenting it and it could do with slowing down a little bit, thus giving more time to certain subjects. I know it's a four hour documentary but it feels like they're flying through everything. Just could do with a strong narrator and getting rid of some of footage of journalists/lecturers having a say.

Yeah it's funny how they'd play in for both teams over one weekend. Never knew about that entertainment tax that applied to most things bar the GAA. Doesn't surprise me one bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Missed the 2nd episode, but from the 1st...
    • Charles Stewart Parnells affair with Kitty O'Shea prompting huge numbers stopping playing GAA and switching to football
    • An Irish goalkeeper 'inventing' the penalty kick, by suggesting it to the IFA who in turn, recommended it to FIFA
    Overall really interesting documentary and I look forward to Saturdays repeat

Parnell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I hadn't known about the expulsion of President Douglas Hyde from the GAA for attending a soccer international.

Fascinating documentary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

yeah excellent documentary, well done RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Blasted missed it.

Did they mention the Oympics of 1924? Irelands first appearance at a major football tournament. A team completely made up of LOI players and we played in blue not green.

This is from an old programme

The Real First Time

Ireland’s first appearance in the finals of a major football tournament, a shock 1-0 win for starters on a glorious summer Sunday afternoon only to be cruelly robbed of a semi final place by the Dutch. We walked tall all week. Our hearts burned with pride. I rang home to discover my late grandmother had watched the first football game of her life. She had cried her eyes out. Fourteen years on it still means a lot. 13,000 of us were there, tens of thousands more claim to have been there yet we all lie. My grandmother may well have cried her eyes out when Ireland won the opening game of their first major football tournament but it would have been pure coincidence because she was just out of nappies. There weren’t 13,000 fans baying for the final whistle (84 minutes early). There weren’t millions more screaming at TV sets. 500,000 did not line the streets to welcome home our heroes. Only 500 people squeezed into the Stade de Colombes. The nation didn’t find out for hours. The heroes are surely long dead and sadly long forgotten. Euro 88 was a great adventure but the team that went to the Olympic Games of 1924 were surely the real pioneers of Irish football. The football tournament was played a couple of months before the real games and is now considered to be the world’s first major International tournament. It was a forerunner to the World Cup 6 years later. Jules Rimet was the organiser. 22 nations took part including Uruguay, U.S.A., Egypt, Turkey and Estonia. Uruguay emerged triumphant but only Ireland from these islands participated. A 1-0 victory over Bulgaria was followed by a 2-1 defeat by Holland in extra time.

Only 16 of the 22 man squad actually made the 2 day overland journey to Paris along with trainer Charlie Harris. The fledgling Irish Free State was just recovering from a Civil war and this was the first time that the new Irish tricolour was raised at a sporting occasion. We played in blue shirts. Paddy Duncan of St James’s Gate scored the only goal to defeat Bulgaria while a Frank Ghent equaliser was not enough to deny Holland who survived a ropey second half to steal it in extra time. Frank Ghent was not actually selected for the Bulgaria game but his inclusion meant that 5 of the cup winning Athlone Town side represented Ireland in the quarter finals. Surely we’ll never see that again. Contemporary reports mention that the Irish and Dutch partied together long into the night. If it was half as good as memorable nights in Gelsenkirchen, Palermo, Liverpool, Dublin and Orlando then it must have been quite a party.

These games are now classed as amateur Internationals by the F.A.I. They were certainly listed as full Internationals up until at least the early 1940’s when Thomas P Walsh published the first history of Irish football. The 1924 tournament does however merit a few paragraphs in Peter Byrne’s excellent history of the F.A.I. The 75th anniversary of this tournament passed by unremarked.

losthorizon - it's on the RTE player. And yep, they mentioned that Ireland had to change from blue to green because it clashed with the colour Scotland played in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Renn wrote: »
    losthorizon - it's on the RTE player. And yep, they mentioned that Ireland had to change from blue to green because it clashed with the colour Scotland played in :)
    Renn, Many thanks. I'm going to give these a watch. They actually sound excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Any chance of a link? I can't find it for some reason. I really enjoyed the first one.

Thanks. Unfortunately it's Ireland only and I'm abroad. I guess I'll just have to wait for someone to upload it to youtube. Somebody put up the first episode so hopefully the same guy will put up the second.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

carlop wrote: »
    Thanks. Unfortunately it's Ireland only and I'm abroad. I guess I'll just have to wait for someone to upload it to youtube. Somebody put up the first episode so hopefully the same guy will put up the second.

Any chance you have the youtube link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't see part one but caught the repeat of Pt 2 yesterday - interesting stuff, if a bit rushed (as mentioned above). Must say I didn't know about the England 0 2 FA of Ireland game, I suppose that it wasn't quite an official international is why its the Hungary game that keeps getting named as the first international defeat for England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

When's the third episode on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tuesday night I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

mike65 wrote: »
    Didn't see part one but caught the repeat of Pt 2 yesterday - interesting stuff, if a bit rushed (as mentioned above). Must say I didn't know about the England 0 2 FA of Ireland game, I suppose that it wasn't quite an official international is why its the Hungary game that keeps getting named as the first international defeat for England.

It was an official international. Both the Ireland and England players received caps for it. I'd say if England don't recognise the games significance it's more down to them thinking Rep.Ireland was still "one of the home nations" when of course in reality it was not.

I think the manner of the defeat v Hungary is why that particular game is so well remembered, rather than because of it was the first (or more correctly the second) home defeat by a non-UK team in a full international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Im all for ill informed footballing knowledge about ireland....its why i come on here.

But for Ray ****ing Houghton to say we dont develop enough professional footballers, he can **** right off with his complete and utter lack of knowledge about anything.

Well over 3000 professional/semi pro footballers created by our system playing right now.

Which is not ****ing bad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Highlight was Nell McCafferty and her time in the Derry City Exiles supporters and her subsequent dropping out due to the "farting on the supporters buses from Sligo to Dublin":D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Im all for ill informed footballing knowledge about ireland....its why i come on here.

But for Ray ****ing Houghton to say we dont develop enough professional footballers, he can **** right off with his complete and utter lack of knowledge about anything.

Well over 3000 professional/semi pro footballers created by our system playing right now.

Which is not ****ing bad tbh.

I'm not saying you're wrong with that figure but I find it hard to believe there is 3000 active Irish pro/semi-pro players. Where are they all playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

episode 1 is now gone from youtube, removed by rte :(

episode 2 is up on dailymotion. . .for how long i couldn't say

theteal wrote: »
    episode 1 is now gone from youtube, removed by rte :(

episode 2 is up on dailymotion. . .for how long i couldn't say

Yeah it's annoying. I really don't get why they have it on the player as Ireland-only. I guess there's some copyright material or something, but anybody who isn't Irish isn't going to give two ****s about the programme, and will probably never come across it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Did you hear Mark Lawrenson last night. "I knew I wasnt good enough to play for England so I jumped at the chance to play for Ireland"

Twat.

Granny rule should be scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Did you hear Mark Lawrenson last night. "I knew I wasnt good enough to play for England so I jumped at the chance to play for Ireland"

Twat.

Granny rule should be scrapped.

He was good enough to play for England. IIRC he opted for us when he was with Preston and wouldn't have dreamed of a call up to the England squad.

The documentary reflects badly on the FAI and Charlton to certain extent.

The English managers reaction to them wanting to play Argentina during the Falklands war said it all!

It also raises certain issues about Charlton.
    He never had any interest in capping LOI players. His tactics at USA 94 were also questioned. He made the players play a high intensity game in that heat, very stupid if you think about it.
    He also had a very talented group of players and probably never got the best out of them with his long ball game but the Ole Ole brigade didn't seem to care at the time.

Very interesting TV, credit to RTE.

Apparently after watching the famous Eng v Arg 1986 QF Charlton became convinced about how he wanted Ireland to play. He saw England (who were 2-0 down and had done precious little up to that point) switch to a high pressure, high intensity game with lots of crosses and long-balls and cause Argentina all kinds of problems , nearly rescuing the game.

Charlton was solely interested in results. Everything else seemed to be of no importance to him. If you look at his overall selections he actually selected very few players in total relative to subsequent managers. He had little interest in experimentation with new players or in developing young players for the long term. For the most part he very quickly worked out who the best guys available to him right now and then stuck with them for as long as possible (too long in fact). Anyway, that's why LOI guys never got a look in beyond the first few games in 86.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

sugarman wrote: »
    Loving this so far, so much I didnt know..

..still shocked we were invited to play in the 1950 WC but declined, understandably, but still.

Also, anyone notice they didnt even mention euro '92? Went straight from 90-94:p

Had we qualified for Euro 92 I think we could have won it. We were just in our peak between 91-94 under Charlton. Falling asleep in Poland cost us.

..still shocked we were invited to play in the 1950 WC but declined, understandably, but still.

Also, anyone notice they didnt even mention euro '92? Went straight from 90-94:p

I only saw bits of it out of the corner of my eye, but they did show some of the Wembley game v England 91 and Poland in Poznan 91.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

ColeTrain wrote: »
    He was good enough to play for England. IIRC he opted for us when he was with Preston and wouldn't have dreamed of a call up to the England squad.

The documentary reflects badly on the FAI and Charlton to certain extent.

The English managers reaction to them wanting to play Argentina during the Falklands war said it all!

It also raises certain issues about Charlton.
    He never had any interest in capping LOI players. His tactics at USA 94 were also questioned. He made the players play a high intensity game in that heat, very stupid if you think about it.
    He also had a very talented group of players and probably never got the best out of them with his long ball game but the Ole Ole brigade didn't seem to care at the time.

Very interesting TV, credit to RTE.

The Ole Ole brigade comment is unfair and revisionist. Better Irish teams left qualification behind them; Charlton and his methods didn't. Irish soccer never had much to cheer about only campaign after campaign of bitterness and recriminations.

I hope you are over thirty otherwise your post is even more off the wall as you simply never experienced the magic of those three, especially the first two summers. It was something Ireland as a nation had never experienced before. Rugby was just a vehicle for exploring latent homosexuality in middle class men and GAA existed solely on the island.

Charlton and the Ole Ole brigade are the reason we have Shay Given, Robbie Keane, Duffer and a host of other top quality players. It goes a long way to explaining why there are so many top quality footballers playing LOI and Leinster senior league. They grew up watching and were inspired by the events Charlton set in motion.

Never forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Fantastic documentary, but agree with a previous poster that it feels rushed. And also the editor has no sense of milking the nostalgia. Nearly every memorable goal is cut to about 2 seconds before it's scored. Just give us a bit of build up so we can sit back and relive the memory!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hope you are over thirty otherwise your post is even more off the wall as you simply never experienced the magic of those three, especially the first two summers.

I am.

I do remember them. They were good times for a poor country and football was also established firmly in the country (as you correctly point out) after that which is good.

I also remember the widespread vilification of anybody (like Dunphy) that dared to voice a mildly critical opinion of Charlton and the FAI. You sense that Dunph still carries the scars from that.

There is something about the national team that inspires a certain national soft-headedness when it comes to countenancing any kind of criticism. Then you get all kinds of morons (famous Roddy Doyle type spoofers and the non-famous) coming out of the woodwork to lecture people for daring to gainsay the national delirium. Often the people that criticized were the people that went to Landsdowne down the years when the rest of the country didn't give a fuck.

I enjoyed those summers like anybody but I agree with Cole Train. The (excellent) team of 1990 did well despite Charlton, not because of him and he got it badly wrong in 1994.

It's also true to say Ireland sadly/paradoxically lost some of its Irishness in the Charlton era because of the trend in selction procedures that he heralded.

stovelid wrote: »
    I am.

I do remember them. They were good times for a poor country and football was also established firmly in the country (as you correctly point out) after that which is good.

I also remember the widespread vilification of anybody (like Dunphy) that dared to voice a mildly critical opinion of Charlton and the FAI. You sense that Dunph still carries the scars from that.

There is something about the national team that inspires a certain national soft-headedness when it comes to countenancing any kind of criticism. Then you get all kinds of morons (famous Roddy Doyle type spoofers and the non-famous) coming out of the woodwork to lecture people for daring to gainsay the national delirium. Often the people that criticized were the people that went to Landsdowne down the years when the rest of the country didn't give a fuck.

I enjoyed those summers like anybody but I agree with Cole Train. The (excellent) team of 1990 did well despite Charlton, not because of him and he got it badly wrong in 1994.

It's also true to say Ireland sadly/paradoxically lost some of its Irishness in the Charlton era because of the trend in selction procedures that he heralded.

The villification of Dunphy was purely becuase he plays Devil's Advocate. He was criticising an irish set up at the zenith of it's unprecedented success.

I'm not going to dispute the style or footballing issues with you; no doubt there were plenty. However no other manager with an eye on style or otherwise got us to the summer tournements. The question I'd always ask is would another manager have got us to these competitions playing better football and going further. The reality is going further meant a Euro '88 semi and an Italia '90 semi.

The comment about Irishness is, I'm sorrry to be frank, utter bullshíte. Ireland and it's Irishness is formulated as much on foreign soil as it is here. If anything notions of Irishness are preserved with a greater enthusiasm and elán abroad as they are here. Having the sons and grandsons of Irish men representing the country is as close to the epitomé of Irishness as you can get. We've exported many of our best and brightest for generation after generation. We're doing it again.

and if you want to beat Charlton with that stick remember Steve Staunton gave Aidan McGeady, Liam Lawrence, caleb Folan and Joe Lapira their debuts.

I cannot fathom why Irish people incessantly bring that up; especially now that they see how it happens first hand. Surely to christ one or two of you have brothers and sisters living aborad; would you begrude thier sons the chance to represent their nation were they good enough?

Ya imo that was probably the best football we played under Jack in that group until the Poland match away when things went horribly wrong

The question I'd always ask is would another manager have got us to these competitions playing better football and going further. The reality is going further meant a Euro '88 semi and an Italia '90 semi.

Not even sure what that means. The Italia 90 team contenders if they had been let play.

The comment about Irishness is, I'm sorrry to be frank, utter bullshíte. Ireland and it's Irishness is formulated as much on foreign soil as it is here. If anything notions of Irishness are preserved with a greater enthusiasm and elán abroad as they are here. Having the sons and grandsons of Irish men representing the country is as close to the epitomé of Irishness as you can get. We've exported many of our best and brightest for generation after generation. We're doing it again.

and if you want to beat Charlton with that stick remember Steve Staunton gave Aidan McGeady, Liam Lawrence, caleb Folan and Joe Lapira their debuts.

I cannot fathom why Irish people incessantly bring that up; especially now that they see how it happens first hand. Surely to christ one or two of you have brothers and sisters living aborad; would you begrude thier sons the chance to represent their nation were they good enough?

This is kinda what I'm talking about: emotive bluster being considered sufficient to counter perfectly reasonable opinions because it's the national team we're discussing in a time of hysteria.

I'm not really against maybe one or two Irish-descended players playing for their country if they always wanted to. I myself was born in England to Irish parents and was brought up in Ireland and if I was a top-level footballer, I'd only play for Ireland and nobody else. The problem with the Charlton era is that it legitimized the practice of any spoofer declaring for Ireland to further their career.

For what it's worth, I don't follow the national team too closely any more even though I want them to do well and will watch the games. I prefer my club. Even I , however, think it's a little sad that most people these days would take any mercenary in the green shirt if It meant getting ahead whereas I liked it better when there was a little bit more valour and principle in representing your country and people like Stephen Ireland or Cockney English reject Irishman Innit Guv would never be welcomed with open arms if it meant a little further progress. Picking the odd LOI player would also not be a good move for "football" reasons but it would be a nice move for reasons that international football should be more about: pride, loyalty, love of country and all those stupid antiquated notions.

Like I say, modern football innit.

As for Dunphy. He's a clown a lot of the time but he hadn't really settled into his Contrarian House Clown For Cash routine in 1990 and I'm think he was making a genuine criticism of Charlton's under-management of our talent resources in that tournament. Something he was vilified for. And the vilification then - as it will be this summer for anybody that doesn't get on the wagon - will largely emanate from people that never stuck with the Irish team when it wasn't fashionable to do so.

I'm not really against maybe one or two Irish-descended players playing for their country if they always wanted to. I myself was born in England to Irish parents and was brought up in Ireland and if I was a top-level footballer, I'd only play for Ireland and nobody else. The problem with the Charlton era is that it legitimized the practice of any spoofer declaring for Ireland to further their career.

That wasn't Charltons doing. Ireland was picking ex-pats and chancers (delete as appropriate) long before he ever became manager. For instance Eoin Hands last game as manager 8 out of the 13 who played for Ireland weren't born on the island. Ever since the 70's the joke was FAI stood for "Find An Irishman".

Charlton didn't give debuts to Tony Cascarino or Mark Lawrenson for example (imho two of the biggest chancers ever to play for Ireland).

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    That wasn't Charltons doing. Ireland was picking ex-pats and chancers (delete as appropriate) long before he ever became manager. For instance Eoin Hands last game as manager 8 out of the 13 who played for Ireland weren't born on the island. Ever since the 70's the joke was FAI stood for "Find An Irishman".

Charlton didn't give debuts to Tony Cascarino or Mark Lawrenson for example (imho two of the biggest chancers ever to play for Ireland).

True. Just meant that it really ramped up in the Charlton era.

Again, I would not be against the odd ex-pat if Ireland would have been their only choice.

Not even sure what that means. The Italia 90 team contenders if they had been let play.

This is kinda what I'm talking about: emotive bluster being considered sufficient to counter perfectly reasonable opinions because it's the national team we're discussing in a time of hysteria.

For what it's worth, I don't follow the national team too closely any more even though I want them to do well and will watch the games. I prefer my club. Even I , however, think it's a little sad that most people these days would take any mercenary in the green shirt if It meant getting ahead whereas I liked it better when there was a little bit more valour and principle in representing your country and people like Stephen Ireland or Cockney English reject Irishman Innit Guv would never be welcomed with open arms if it meant a little further progress. Picking the odd LOI player would also not be a good move for "football" reasons but it would be a nice move for reasons that international football should be more about: pride, loyalty, love of country and all those stupid antiquated notions. Like I say, modern football innit.

As for Dunphy. He's a clown a lot of the time but he hadn't really settled into his Contrarian House Clown For Cash routine in 1990 and I'm think he was making a genuine criticism of Charlton's under-management of our talent resources in that tournament. Something he was vilified for. And the vilification then - as it will be this summer for anybody that doesn't get on the wagon - will largely emanate from people that never stuck with Irish football - be it international of domestic - when it wasn't fashionable to do so.

And what is bolded above isn't emotive bluster?!

Firstly A couple of general points:- You are aware Stephen Ireland is a born and bred Irishman, ergo not a mercenary.
    - For the record would you mind listing the 'spoofers'?
    - "it's a little sad that most people these days would take any mercenary in the green shirt if It meant getting ahead" I can only assume you are meaning Aidan McGeady, Darron Gibson and James McClean. If not please feel free to enlighten me.
    - Regarding Italia '90. Ireland were knocked out one nil by the hosts in Rome. Ireland had they won would have had to face the current world champions in a semi and play the previous beaten finalists in the final. what point was Italia '90 to be considered a successful tournement. Ireland's group mates were both knocked out by West Germany. England got to the semi's due to an outrageoursly fortunate goal against Belguim, a team that was a far softer prospect than Italy. I think your potted revisionism is well wide of the mark.

On the point of 'mercenaries' specifically: The 'mercenaries' in the Ireland shirt rarely if ever let the side down. Townesend, Houghton, Aldridge even Cascarino gave unbelievable service to the Irish jersey and wore it with pride. You look at the number of ex-LOI players in the squad now they are there because they chose to stick with soccer, choosing it about GAA in some cases. They stuck with it because of seening the 'mercenaries' represent Ireland with such class and distinction. If your rant is that these guys took the place of then then 'cream' of the LOI then that is a poor argument. Any player worth his salt was on the first boat to England, to earn a decent living and good luck to him. I'm not getting into a píssing contest about the LOI I've outlined my opinions on it in previous threads and I think it is very important to Irish soccer, but as a stepping stone only. You and others like you seem to have an inflated sense of its worth to the Irish team.

You look at the number of ex-LOI players in the squad now they are there because they chose to stick with soccer, choosing it about GAA in some cases. They stuck with it because of seening the 'mercenaries' represent Ireland with such class and distinction. If your rant is that these guys took the place of then then 'cream' of the LOI then that is a poor argument. Any player worth his salt was on the first boat to England, to earn a decent living and good luck to him. I'm not getting into a píssing contest about the LOI I've outlined my opinions on it in previous threads and I think it is very important to Irish soccer, but as a stepping stone only. You and others like you seem to have an inflated sense of its direct worth to the Irish team.

With regards Eamon Dunphy; he was well established as troll of record by 1990. Well established. The second Ireland were off the plane from Germany, dunphy had the knives out for Charlton. Dunphy is a smart man, nay maybe even a smart football man but every thing that man says (some things I agree with some I don't) is predicated with a childish vindictiveness. He is for the most part a credibility free zone whose opinion on any one topic is about as immovable as a travelling circus.

Did anyone manage to find any links for this outside of the RTE Player?

I've had no luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

If ya have an account with Irish Torrents, ya might find it there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It was an official international. Both the Ireland and England players received caps for it. I'd say if England don't recognise the games significance it's more down to them thinking Rep.Ireland was still "one of the home nations" when of course in reality it was not.

I think the manner of the defeat v Hungary is why that particular game is so well remembered, rather than because of it was the first (or more correctly the second) home defeat by a non-UK team in a full international.

I read about that Ireland game somewhere, it might have been Inverting The Pyramid. Apparently there were so many Irish fans at the game they were far in the majority and the English reckoned it didn't really count as the English having a home advantage.

Yep, was in the chapter 'The Hungarian Connection'.

Good old Eircom Park and the Bertie Bowl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

You should be able watch these on Vimeo.

Episode 2: http://vimeo.com/42763927

Episode 3: http://vimeo.com/43180875

Good finale tonight, it should be up on Vimeo in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

A lot happened in the LOI the last 12 years that was glossed over very quickly and then left with a fleeting comment about LOI will be for the "hardcore" and LOI should live within its means.

LOI ..."Know you limits.":rolleyes:

Staunton & Delaney were given an easy ride overall.

Brian Kerr got an awful raw deal looking back on it. Very well spoken guy any time I listen to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement