Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green is the colour.(RTE Documentary)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A lot happened in the LOI the last 12 years that was glossed over very quickly and then left with a fleeting comment about LOI will be for the "hardcore" and LOI should live within its means.

LOI ..."Know you limits.":rolleyes:

Staunton & Delaney were given an easy ride overall.

Brian Kerr got an awful raw deal looking back on it. Very well spoken guy any time I listen to him.

It was a five part documentary really imo. You could have had a full episode dedicated to the LOI, the women's game and grassroots football. And there was more grist to be chewed over 2002 - 2008 imo.

Totally agree on Kerr. I always think aswell that we missed a trick getting rid of him like we did. One more campaign and clear objectives and maybe we could have asked him to move back to a developmental role if we hadn't of qualified.

I think he clearly deserved another shot too. Those fecking Israel games. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

They flew through it last night,when you seen what happened after Kerr he did get a raw deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Speaking of Kerr goes to show that sometimes managers need bit of luck. Pretty much all managers would have done what Kerr did in the away game in Israel, to hold on for the win, but it took great goal by them and then opinion changed.

Then the home game I can clearly remember Duff basically having header on the Israel Goal line from corner and somehow he manged to header it sideways and straight at keeper when it was much easier for simple tap in with head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

totally agree on kerr, he came in for his first campaign when we such a bad start to to the euros 04 then the wc campaign , we should have qualified. i think we only lost 2 competitive matches during his reign, france at home 05 and switzerland 03 and he deserved another shot at it for the 08 euros. his reign was similar to eoin hands time in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Whatever about him being unfairly shafted from the senior seat, it's pretty criminal that room wasn't found for him somewhere else in the structure.

Abbas Suan was the Israel player who scored the 91st minute equaliser against us.

You should goggle his name, some interesting articles on him. He was from the minority Arab Israeli population who became a national hero to some and to others he was the cancer in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Yea they really flew through everything it probably could have been twice as long! Still really enjoyed it though I have to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Kerr could have probably done with a bit of luck. However the results don't lie. In 16 games he couldn't beat anyone tougher than Albania. Further (and more importantly) the team didn't appear to be getting any better under his stewardship. The way they just limped out of 06 with that 0-0 v Switzerland was enough to convince me that Kerr wasn't the right man for the job (even if the next one was Stan :eek:)

Stan got off to horrendous start lets face it, but when we beat Slovakia and Wales in double header at Croker we were back in with chance to qualify.

I just wonder had we held out for a win in Slovakia when we were 2-1 up with few minutes remaining what might have been. Now Stan did not make things easy for himself that night when he bought on Jonathan Douglas and Darren Gibson when the likes of Reid and Hunt were on bench at time. But would be interesting to see would things might have changed and would we have done a miracle of miracles.

Then again maybe we were better off as lets face it Stan was brutal manager and we never have got in Trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

Last night's episode was the toughest to watch. Those three failed playoffs were all torrid affairs and each ended in differing degrees of controversy. It was sad the way that Kerr went because he was ousted but also because he'd brought a lot of promise to the job and we all expected great things but he just fell short. Maybe that wasn't the right place for him. I agree he's been a fantastic servant to the grass roots side of things though and doesn't get even get enough credit for that.

Kind of surprised and pleased to see Stan show up on it and speak candidly about his time in charge of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

briany wrote: »
    Kind of surprised and pleased to see Stan show up on it and speak candidly about his time in charge of the team.

Never was one to hide as a player, so not that much of a surprise I think. Don't know which journalist made the point during last night's episode, but it was a great one - irrespective of his time in charge, he should still be remembered as a fantastic warrior for Irish football, one of the best players we ever produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Wasn't a fan of Stan as a manager or anything but take away the games v Cyprus and his qualifier results weren't really *too* bad. I think he was just in a group he was never going to qualify from anyway and then went and made it harder for himself by dropping some needless points (eg throwing away leads in both Cyprus and Slovakia). By the time the German 0-0 game was over I think the players were just thinking about closing off the campaign and forgetting about it.

He was the "worst" Irish manager as far as a lot of people are concerned but that was just a relative thing. Believe it or not but there will be worse campaigns in the future for Ireland and we'll look back at a 4-5-3 group in 2008 as not the most terrible thing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I was only a kid really during McCarthy's time as manager but he got a raw deal. Looking at it last night he done a wonderful job. To qualify out of a group with Portugal and Holland. To go without your best player and to draw with Germany and to put it upto Spain. Pity he didnt stay longer in the job. He played some lovely football just wonder why he never done it with Wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

nice to see the show, some the first programs were interesting from a factual point of view. We never really had outstanding players who changed games in an instance with their own outstanding ability and the show concentrated on tough times and 1st we had

I think we could have qualified for a few more tournaments than we did but we weren't really ready either the FAI, underage or the country. Things thankfully have changed for the better and the 3 games will definitely help us a lot with the World Cup 2014.

Advertisement