Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Heard a Very Sad Story Tonight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Feeona wrote: »
    Maybe it would!. As you said yourself, we don't have all the information.

In which case I'm commenting on face value without making qualifying suppositions, which is the only basis I can comment.
    Assuming that these are four sibling living the same everyday lives as the rest of us, and assuming that the carer is telling the truth. Their indifference seems selfish to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I don't know their backgrounds so I can't judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I doubt this is anything new, sad yes but not everyone thinks family comes first.

Family does come first.

But what if the daughters have married and now have families of their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I agree 100% with you. It's a lot to ask for. Sometimes you just have to put yourself and your own family first. My friend's brother John. He has downs. He's got the mind of a child and the body of a man. He has tantrums and can get violent and he's very strong. I can attest to that, he's attacked me twice. The first time I was a teenager and me, Jenny and a few other mates were in Jenny's getting ready to go out shopping to town and he wanted to come but we couldn't let him so he had a tantrum and he tried to strangle me. It took FOUR people to get him off me! The older he's gotten the more violent he's gotten. Jenny's had hundreds of black eyes, bruises and cuts and even a broken arm once over the years thanks to him. Now, Jenny's 7 months pregnant and has four young kids under the age of 8. She's afraid to let him near the kids because he loses his temper very easily and just starts hitting people until he gets his own way. Is Jenny supposed to put herself and her kids at risk? What if he hit's Jenny and she loses the baby or hits on of her kids and seriously hurts them?

And they're soon to be a 7 person household! Jenny isn't able to help pay for her brother's care. She can't effort too. She's only working part-time and she's planning on working right up till she gives birth because they need the money for their OWN family. She's going to have to give up the job when she has the baby because they plan to move out to the west.

Why does Jenny keep having children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

She only planned on having three but the 3rd pregnancy turned out to be twins. And this current pregnancy was an accident. She got pregnant on the pill and wasn't very happy about it at first because the twins are still very young (they're a year and a half old now) but she's looking forward to it now. This baby going to be her first and probably only son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

maybe it may be like this,

i have 3 cousins in the one family, two girls, one boy, the girls went out in the world and got good jobs and lived their lives. the boy had a handicap he is the youngest, but while the mammy lived, he was treated like a baby all his life, his sisters did not like that being done as they saw the day coming that there would be no mother, so the girls kept out of it because it only caused problems if they decided to help, the mom was very protective,
    but when their mother died, the girls took over the care of their brother, he was thirty when she died, and never let out of the home,
    so the girls sent him to a st john of gods school where he learned to read and some skills,
    one of the sisters has her own small business, and she has thought him to answer phone and take care of himself, he now helps her, and has a life,
    where is before he was kept in a corner, never got out, never sent to where help was available for his own good,
    now he has a life, he meet people and has come on leaps and bounds,
    so the upshot of the problem could be that the girls in the family that you are speaking of, could have a whole different way of taking care of their brother, so they are leaving the parents do it their way while they are in the world, but when the day come they may take over the care of their brother, doing it their way, as my cousins did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

wtf is wrong you peoplel he has 4 sister and not one will help there ****ing 4 of them im 24 my brother disabled and yes i choose not to meet anyone or start a family to look after him im sure if it was the other way round he look after me

you do for family

A lot of people won't jump on a bandwagon to bitch about 4 people they don't know, based on second hand information you found out last night,and posted on the Internet.
    Some people realise there are more than two sides to every story. Who knows what kind of relationship these girls have with their parents or their upbringing. Why jump to assumptions and judgements without knowing the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

In these situations,if everone involved gave a little of their time,then one/two people wouldn't have to give all their time.
    The future also has to be discussed by all the family regardless of their situation otherwise things will not be easy if indeed the parents die before the child.
    I'm abig softie tho.Couldn't imagine not taking care of a family member no matter what the cost..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

goat2 wrote: »
    maybe it may be like this,

i have 3 cousins in the one family, two girls, one boy, the girls went out in the world and got good jobs and lived their lives. the boy had a handicap he is the youngest, but while the mammy lived, he was treated like a baby all his life, his sisters did not like that being done as they saw the day coming that there would be no mother, so the girls kept out of it because it only caused problems if they decided to help, the mom was very protective,
    but when their mother died, the girls took over the care of their brother, he was thirty when she died, and never let out of the home,
    so the girls sent him to a st john of gods school where he learned to read and some skills,
    one of the sisters has her own small business, and she has thought him to answer phone and take care of himself, he now helps her, and has a life,
    where is before he was kept in a corner, never got out, never sent to where help was available for his own good,
    now he has a life, he meet people and has come on leaps and bounds,
    so the upshot of the problem could be that the girls in the family that you are speaking of, could have a whole different way of taking care of their brother, so they are leaving the parents do it their way while they are in the world, but when the day come they may take over the care of their brother, doing it their way, as my cousins did.
    Fair play to them.
    Delighted he's after improving his quality of life with a bit of help.
    That story made me happy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement