Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross town Running Track Flooded -

Options
  • 10-05-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

New Ross Town Park Running Track tonight
    Copyof100_2288.jpg

Copyof100_2291.jpg
    Some €106,579 has been allocated in Sports Capital Funding, a programme which aims to boost participation in sport, to the running track

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/facelift-for-town-park-2888843.html

€ 107.000 spent recently by NR Town Council and this is the end result ..What a shame

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

New Ross Town Park Running Track tonight
    Copyof100_2288.jpg

Copyof100_2291.jpg
    Some €106,579 has been allocated in Sports Capital Funding, a programme which aims to boost participation in sport, to the running track

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/facelift-for-town-park-2888843.html

€ 107.000 spent recently by NR Town Council and this is the end result ..What a shame

It's not perfect alright. But anyone who attended Day 1 of the County Track and Field Championships last Sunday, and saw the huge crowd of participants, will agree it's a valuable facility despite the persistent drainage problem. And I did hear it commented down there that no other facility in the county would have been able to stage that event on Sunday after all the rain that's fallen in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No , Its not perfect ,- I agree .
    Here is the same spot last Sunday , which is like a lake tonight .
    It was grand last Sunday , but tonight there were athletes there annoyed by this :
    DSCN4302.jpg

It would seem only fair to point out that remedial drainage works were carried out since the last post on this thread and they seem to have been almost completely successful. Even after all the rain we had today, standing water on the track is limited to a few sporadic puddles. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Delighted to hear .............The ' run for life ' on a Wednesday evening is proving popular and its not nice to see the track flooded .

Was down for a walk earlier this evening and it seemed clear which is great .

The ' run for life ' on a Wednesday evening is proving popular and its not nice to see the track flooded .

You're probably thinking of the United Striders AC adults running group - beginners Wednesday & Friday at 7.30, experienced Wednesday at 7.30. It's been really popular alright.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    It would seem only fair to point out that remedial drainage works were carried out since the last post on this thread and they seem to have been almost completely successful. Even after all the rain we had today, standing water on the track is limited to a few sporadic puddles. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Same again this evening .......impossible to use the track .

I know we had 3.6mm of rain today , but I don't think those remedial drainage works have been a great success .

A dry day with the sun shining and its like this tonight :
    CopyofDSCN4736.jpg

CopyofDSCN4738.jpg

There are other areas of the track similar to this too .

With all due respect - if you compare the top photos to the bottom photos, you've got to agree it's made a significant difference. It's not perfect, but it's significantly better and those puddles don't prevent anyone from using it.

It's hard to get away from the fact that its location is a flat area between a big hill and a river, whose level is sometimes above that of the track. I think it's also built on the old landfill, so drainage may never be perfect. I believe its the only hard-surface running track in the county and we're damn lucky to have it.

With all due respect - if you compare the top photos to the bottom photos, you've got to agree it's made a significant difference. It's not perfect, but it's significantly better and those puddles don't prevent anyone from using it.

It's hard to get away from the fact that its location is a flat area between a big hill and a river, whose level is sometimes above that of the track. I think it's also built on the old landfill, so drainage may never be perfect. I believe its the only hard-surface running track in the county and we're damn lucky to have it.

Would tend to agree with most of the above post , however ,

I fail to see much of the spent €107k . -

The football pitch is still soggy , the park is still black after nightfall.

Well the running track can speak for itself .

The floodlights overlooking the basketball/tennis court area are often on full blast in complete daylight .

Granted , the additional fitness units are welcome , and their has been a massive upsurge in footfall since the Park's completion .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Would tend to agree with most of the above post , however ,

I fail to see much of the spent €107k . -

The football pitch is still soggy , the park is still black after nightfall.

Well the running track can speak for itself .

The floodlights overlooking the basketball/tennis court area are often on full blast in complete daylight .

Granted , the additional fitness units are welcome , and their has been a massive upsurge in footfall since the Park's completion .[/Quote

Any idea how long the running track is someone told me 280m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

It used to be 300m when I ran with the club. Dont think its been modified since.

Down South wrote: »
    It used to be 300m when I ran with the club. Dont think its been modified since.

300m is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

300m is correct

I presume that is the inside lane distance

300m is correct

I presume that is the inside lane distance

Correct again!

Advertisement