Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.net

Options
  • 10-05-2012 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

I was thinking for studying in asp.net self study

Is it worth the time or should I just keep studying php

Can anyone recommend asp books and trainning vids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Knowing more languages can never be bad. More languages is more tools to get any job done.

I am not commenting on ASP or .NET in general though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Any books you rec

Cork24 wrote: »
    Any books you rec

I do not know ASP. But another user posted this recently http://www.pluralsight-training.net/microsoft/Courses#aspdotnet which looks decent in general (the site and some of the other tutorials I did not watch any of the ASP stuff but have looked at some of the C# stuff).

I would be more a Java, PHP, Python and Ruby sort of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Don't bother with traditional ASP.Net, focus on ASP.Net MVC3 instead. Traditional ASP.Net web forms aren't great really.

MVC 3 on the other hand is probably one of the best web application frameworks I have ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Just to clarify some of what has already been mentioned. Traditional ASP is an old technology you shouldn't be interested in. ASP.NET it's successor is a framework that gets a lot of use at the moment. There are two technologies that use the ASP.NET framework (which is a subset of .NET) and these are ASP.NET WebForms and ASP.NET MVC3 (think MVC 4 is in beta). WebForms was created to be familiar for WinForm developers and there is plenty of work out there in it. ASP.NET MVC was created after WebForms and it is based on the web friendly Model View Controller pattern. I don't think anyone would argue that ASP.NET MVC is the future of Microsoft' web development technologies. I currently use it and it is a pleasure to work with, it is very intuitive once you understand the MVC pattern.

I have this book and I really like it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-ASP-NET-MVC-Framework-ebook/dp/B005PZ07US

It has two decent size tutorial projects in it and it has chapters covering the important aspects of ASP.NET MVC.

Also it is important to note that ASP.Net WebForms/ASP.NET MVC are web frameworks not languages. Typically either C# or VB.NET is the language used with them. Other languages such as IronJava, IronPython, etc. can be used or C++/CLI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Don't bother with traditional ASP.Net, focus on ASP.Net MVC3 instead. Traditional ASP.Net web forms aren't great really.

MVC 3 on the other hand is probably one of the best web application frameworks I have ever used.

I have to agree with that! If you can only learn one, learn .net mvc.

Thanks lads i will look out for ASP.NET MV3

i like the web Experssion and Visual Studio how every thing is wizard form in making Web Forms etc.

to making a site is it a good idea to use the build in Wizards for web forms and querying databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Another consideration is that if you learn C# via ASP.NET then you'll be able to use a lot of the C# you learned for other stuff such as Windows Forms, Silverlight for Windows Phone 7 or Metro for Windows 8. That's what happened to me, anyway.

EDIT:
    Cork24 wrote: »
    to making a site is it a good idea to use the build in Wizards for web forms and querying databases.

It's as good a place as any to start. :)

Any good books on C#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Jon Skeet's C# in Depth is good. It's not ASP.net with C# more pure C#
    http://csharpindepth.com/

For ASP.net with C#/Vb I'd look at the Microsoft certified exam book:
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-515): Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Jon Skeet's book while it is very good it is aimed at people who already know C# and goes in depth into a select number of feature of the language such as reflection, delegates, etc. For anyone looking to learn C# I'd tell them to stay well clear of it. I wouldn't have any advice on what book to go for as a beginner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

http://techbus.safaribooksonline.com/book/programming/csharp/9781430225492
    http://techbus.safaribooksonline.com/book/programming/csharp/9780132657402

I've read these two books to learn various bits of the language. Found them quite good. You'll find lots of info online as well in different places but Stackoverflow I found to be very good for finding common problems and solutions.

I like the Deitel books, how to program in C++/Java are very good gives you a step by step guide in how to debug and write code better.

couldnt get into C++ No Fear..

I will look at some Amazon E-books, still be talking about 30+ for computer books even tho they are kindle format.

Advertisement