Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with baby by train (Dublin to Cork)

Options
  • 10-05-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I didn't know where exactly to post this so I hope this is the right place.

We are moving from Dublin to Cork but neither my wife or me have a drivers license so we cannot drive, we have a 10 months old baby and my wife is telling me that travelling by train from Dublin to Cork will be a nightmare, and doesn't want to come by train.

Coming by bus, I do think it will be a bit more uncomfortable, so I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences with travelling with a baby from Dublin to Cork? Is there space in the toilets for changing nappies? can you walk around a bit in case the baby starts to cry?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I generally travel Dublin to Wexford with my little girl twice weekly since about 8 months, and less frequently since she was just a few weeks old to visit her grandparents. It is just over 2 hours so I think that may be a little shorter than your journey to Cork. I previously travelled by bus but I personally prefer the train and always take that option now when I can. To be honest the bus with a baby can be a nightmare, especially if it is busy. The CIE trains are generally quite good, especially the newer ones which have a baby changing table and plenty of space to store a buggy. You can walk up and down the corridors between carriages easily to soothe baby if you need to. If you need any other questions answered feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've been travelling by train since 2 months all over the country (Cork - Sliog return was long!). The cork train is lovely, there are changing tables in the toilets. I usually book one of the seats beside the spaces for wheelchairs so that I can park up the buggy without folding it and so baby can nap. It was the IR staff told me to do but but of course you have to move if a wheelchair user gets on. I find baby spends most of the trip looking out the window at the world going by at speed. When baby was really small the train was way better than the car because you're not supposed to have their little bodies comfined in car seats for long periods.

One interesting observation though, on the Dublin-Belfast train one time, it was full on a friday afternoon. There were 2 seats left, one beside me and baby, one beside a homeless, drunk. Another person got on so had the choice to make, sit beside the baby (who was asleep at the time) or the smelly guy. THey chose the smelly guy ;)

good luck with the move. exciting times ahead for your family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I travel between Dublin and Cork and have a 21mth old now (bloody hell where has the time gone :D)

Firstly book your tickets so you get seats and sit on the inside with the baby they love looking out the window

Try book a time that the baby usually naps at that way they tend to sleep the whole way down and are not cranky when you get there and the rocking of the train helps with the sleeping

Its not a long journey and every time we have done it, its gone without a glitch and he loves it, at 10mths they are still not walking and running around so have no real desire to get down where as my fella just wants to walk everywhere on his own and gets restless now so it is startling to get harder, we usually book just the two seats together so that way we are not bothering anyone else should he start screaming his head off, and you dont have to make eye contact with anyone giving disapproving looks of "oh ffs will you shut that baby up"

However I did have to get the train home once, no seat booked, and on a morning when they where all on their way up for the gaa and it was jammers, we sat at a table of older people on the outside and he loved it, all the oul ones chatting to him as he was sitting on the table watching everything go by, I was dreading it before hand but it went very smoothly.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

What alternative is your wife suggesting? Apart from asking someone to give you a lift the only real options are bus or train... and I'd take the train! More room, more comfortable, more to entertain/distract the baby.

I have travelled fairly long distances on the train with 3 children under 3... and as they got older. It's not really an issue. Bring food, drinks and something to occupy the baby and they will be fine. As another poster mentioned, it is possible to push the buggy on and leave the baby in it to sleep.

If your wife is still set against the train, is flying an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

train is better than the bus. a friend travelled with her baby to mallow from Dublin. I put her on the train and they sat at the first seat in the carriage where the wheelchair user also sits. she had space and could leave the baby in the pram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

it has been awhile, but i have travelled by train with small children and it is fine. you need the space for children. as someone said try to get the seat where with wheelchair space and bring plenty of snacks and activities.
    you can chance in the toilets, but it is a mare. try to do it discreetly in your seat. you can walk around.
    by bus in contrast no room to walk, no room to chance and no room for you to stretch - i know this from a 1hr+ journey to airport with a 3 yr old and 1 yr old - luckily they slept.
    however you go bring a sling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pepefloyd

Thanks everyone, after reading this she is happy to take the train.

*For the one who asked, yes, she was even considering flying which I considered an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hiya does anyone know if twin Biggs fit on train from cork to fota

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Please don't try and do as a previous poster suggests and change a childs nappy in your seat. Discreetly or not that is disgusting!
    Im sure its not what most parents would do as I thankfully haven't encountered that on my very frequent journeys. People eat and drink in their seats and a babies sh1tty nappy is not pleasant for others to have to endure smelling nevermind the basic hygiene issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

After 6 years hopefully the child is out of nappies at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

bee06 wrote:
    After 6 years hopefully the child is out of nappies at this stage.
    Indeed hopefully! Obviously hadnt realized how old this thread was when I posted ☺

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I drive and when they were little esp when I had a 1 year old and a baby. Train was always my 1st choice.
    It is by far the easiest mode of transport with a baby or small child.
    Buses are a nightmare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement