Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog issues

• 10-05-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

My dog is a 4 year old mixed breed. I was letting him in from the back garden today and noticed he had a weird walk, so I checked him out and he had a large p00p half way out. It was sort of bloody. Red blood. Could he have been constipated and damaged his rectum when going the toilet?

I'm a bit worried for him now. He's immunised and wormed so I don't think it's an infection. What should I do??? any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I dont think immunised and wormed means he cant pick up something? We had this once with one of ours and she needed meds to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sparko

Not to be captain obvious, but bring him to the vet. Better safe than sorry. Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Immunisation just prevents certain specific diseases such as parvovirus or distemper, so being immunised will stop him picking up what ever he was vaccinated against he could still get sick. It's just like with humans, we're all vaccinated against certain diseases as babies, these vaccines prevent us from getting specific diseases such as whooping cough or polio, but we still can get tummy bugs, chest infections etc..

But definitely if there was blood in the stool it would be worth getting him to a vet just in case, it's probably something like gastritis (tummy bug), so a course of antibiotics from the vet and some bland food like boiled chicken and rice may sort him out. But the only way to know what's wrong for sure is just pop down to the vet! Best of luck :)

Advertisement