Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student bars in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 10-05-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Group of us from college are finished exams next Saturday but we are all looking to head into town for the night but none of us are into clubbing sort (esp with all the schwers) so we are looking for a nice student bar our own age to go if anyone knows of any?? Just we are all relatively young (21/22) but all feel relatively like a baby in one of the more "mature" late bars in town. No nightclubs please just a nice late night bar were we can have some banter and also have the chats with randomers. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Whelans up on Wexford Street maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Dublin isn't good for student bars at all compared to the likes of Manchester or Edinburgh, in fact I can't really think of any, just tonnes of ****ty "nightclubs".

Your best bet would be the Living Room, Sweeneys in Dame Street, the Porter House on Nassau Street or pretty much any of the bars in the Wicklow Street/South William Street/Exchequer Street area. However they're not very studenty, more just bars aimed at younger people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the resident soak, gavin shels will no doubt be along to help you with suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭x00065954

the resident soak, gavin shels will no doubt be along to help you with suggestions

Gavin shels??? Dont really know what you mean sorry...

Yea the places suggested all seems pretty sweet. Yas know yourselves as long as there is no schwers outvaaa we are all happy really. Just that we were planning to watch the Champions League final too so anywhere with people our own age with massive screens would be perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

x00065954 wrote: »

Yea the places suggested all seems pretty sweet. Yas know yourselves as long as there is no schwers outvaaa we are all happy really. Just that we were planning to watch the Champions League final too so anywhere with people our own age with massive screens would be perfect :)
    The Woolshed on Parnell Street maybe? Has massive screens and a youngish crowd (and pitchers for a tenner), though the place will be very busy with the Heineken Cup final followed by the Champions League on the same day. I'll be there with a few mates for the day and we're all 21/22!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

x00065954 wrote: »

gavin is a regular user here in this forum with a wealth of knowledge on the student bar scene

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you want cheap drink go to O'Reillys (under Tara Street Station) or MacTurcaills on Townsend Street. Pints are 3.30-3.50 so it brings in the students. They ain't nothing special but that's where the cheap drink is. Might be a good place to start off the night. Also, Saturday nights are metal night in O'Reillys if you're into that.

Cassidy's on Westmoreland Street do some cheap pints and it's a nice place to hang out.

There's the Village for late night drinking or Whelan's too for dancing. Oh, also Doyles, across the road from Trinity. You can't get more studenty than that. Just head upstairs. They've specials on certain drinks and shots. Open till after 3am.

Oh, also the George Bernard Shaw (which I've never been to) up past Camden Street on Richmond Street. They do certain drink specials too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gavin is a regular user here in this forum with a wealth of knowledge on the student bar scene

:D
    Larianne wrote: »

There's the Village for late night drinking or Whelan's too for dancing. Oh, also Doyles, across the road from Trinity. You can't get more studenty than that. Just head upstairs. They've specials on certain drinks and shots. Open till after 3am.

Oh, also the George Bernard Shaw (which I've never been to) up past Camden Street on Richmond Street. They do certain drink specials too.

Village, Whelans and Doyles would have been my picks. Just on the Bernard Shaw, get spot BUT it's last orders at 12.30/1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Karma Stone on Wexford Street, very popular with students due to its drinks deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Living Room isn't too bad on a Saturday night, young rather cosmopolitan crowd [aka not Irish!]. Think they do some pitcher deal.

Tbh if you're heading out on Saturday and are looking for a place that isn't too young, isn't too old and isn't Coppers then The Village is the place imo. Never had a bad night in there, but be warned that its very hard to get a drink at times upstairs because its so wedged.

• Advertisement

Jello wrote: »
    The Woolshed on Parnell Street maybe? Has massive screens and a youngish crowd (and pitchers for a tenner), though the place will be very busy with the Heineken Cup final followed by the Champions League on the same day. I'll be there with a few mates for the day and we're all 21/22!

<3 the Woolie.

Great place to spend a Saturday watching the matches if you get in there early enough to grab seats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

cson wrote: »
    Living Room isn't too bad on a Saturday night, young rather cosmopolitan crowd [aka not Irish!]. Think they do some pitcher deal.

Tbh if you're heading out on Saturday and are looking for a place that isn't too young, isn't too old and isn't Coppers then The Village is the place imo. Never had a bad night in there, but be warned that its very hard to get a drink at times upstairs because its so wedged.

Very hard is an understatement! Whoever makes the roster is missing a part of his brain with the sheer lack of bar staff!

Yeah its a scrum in the upstairs bar alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Surely The Village would be considered a nightclub, which the OP doesn't want at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Workmans club, Grand Social, or Fibbers maybe if you're into that.

Village, Whelans and Doyles would have been my picks. Just on the Bernard Shaw, get spot BUT it's last orders at 12.30/1.

Well, you ain't the only stooodent around 'ere. :p
    Jello wrote: »
    Surely The Village would be considered a nightclub, which the OP doesn't want at all?

Not downstairs...
    The Workmans club, Grand Social, or Fibbers maybe if you're into that.

Damn it! Always forget that one. Grand Social/Fibbers would be more 'rock'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Personally I think the speakeasy (formerly Shebeen Chic) on Georges Street/Dame Court is a nice spot, good crowd and delish pizza, dunno how busy it gets on a Saturday. The Living Room/Porterhouse/Grand Social/Workmans are all great spots, but from past experience, will be absolutely jammers on a Saturday.

P.S. If its drink promos youre after, The Living Room is the closest you'll get, but even then it isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Larianne wrote: »
    Well, you ain't the only stooodent around 'ere. :p

Not downstairs...

Damn it! Always forget that one. Grand Social/Fibbers would be more 'rock'.

Lol I'v yet to go to TWC, really want to.
    Would you class Grand Social as a rock place? It depends what night you go I suppose. Fibbers is, but you've got a good student crowd in the mix.

Btw, while we're on the subject of bars, has anyone heard of The Trinity Bar? Has it been there for long ( it's on Dame Street) Never heard of it till now.

Edit: O.k, it is new, it replaced Citi Bar :O When did this happen?
    http://publin.ie/2012/trinity-bar/
    And did they raise the price of cocktails there or is it just my imagination?

Grand Social is definitely not rock. Its a venue, so it's live music and dj's, yet to see anything resembling rock there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

mmcn90 wrote: »
    P.S. If its drink promos youre after, The Living Room is the closest you'll get, but even then it isn't cheap.

Why do so few pubs do drinks promotions compared to the UK :confused: With the exception of the few places like the Wool Shed that do pitchers everywhere charges full price.

• Advertisement

Personally I think the speakeasy (formerly Shebeen Chic) on Georges Street/Dame Court is a nice spot, good crowd and delish pizza, dunno how busy it gets on a Saturday. The Living Room/Porterhouse/Grand Social/Workmans are all great spots, but from past experience, will be absolutely jammers on a Saturday.

Porterhouse Central? I hate that place. There has always been a high concentration any time I've been there.

Where's this Living Room place? Oh just checked,Cathal Brugha St., is it decent enough? Kinda out of the way so it'd want to be to make the trek over there. :D
    Grand Social is definitely not rock. Its a venue, so it's live music and dj's, yet to see anything resembling rock there.

Maybe it was just the night I was there a few months back so.

Porterhouse Central can get very full, but its decent beer and good craic.

The Living Room is quite good, Pitchers from €10, it can get busy, there's a good mix of students from DIT Cathal Brugha Street and a large amount of eastern europeans (Technically its a Slovak Pub). Decent food as well, some traditional slovak dishes and then the usual fried up pub grub.

Karma Stone on Wexford Street, very popular with students due to its drinks deals.

Would stay away at weekends tbh.
    Porterhouse Central can get very full, but its decent beer and good craic.

Porterhouse North is actually decent, might be a bit far out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭x00065954

Ah lads yous are all too kind with the HEAP of suggestions yous all made BUT think we kind of either decided to hit the Wollshed for the Heinekin Cup and Champions League or maybe Living Room (if its too crowded in the Woolshed) from all the suggestions to the place by you guys. So in saying that we must hit the place quite early to even get a spot in the place so I say see you all there at 3PM? :D

Hit the Woolie early and get the bleachers seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

........... Has no one mentioned the Pavilion bar in Trinity ? and The Buttery Bar in Trinity ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

The Living Room on Cathal Brugha Street is full of students because it's right opposite the DIT, plus it's a sports bar so they have big screens and play matches. Plus as a regular and DIT student, I can nearly guarantee it'll be full and fun because we have our exams finishing next week too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Not only that but he's a regular in your college OP, well at least he is when he gets his ass out of bed, so around two days a week regular :D . By the way OP, I can't believe you used your student number for your username :rolleyes:
    Jorcky wrote: »
    The Living Room on Cathal Brugha Street is full of students because it's right opposite the DIT, plus it's a sports bar so they have big screens and play matches. Plus as a regular and DIT student, I can nearly guarantee it'll be full and fun because we have our exams finishing next week too:)

I'd agree with that recommendation, though I've not been in the bar in a few years since it was called 'Sidewalk' (?) I believe, and it was a pretty damn good spot back then ~2004. I see they've still got the pool tables which is a good thing, do they still have the arcade machines?

I was a DIT Bolton St head, so the local student bar there was Bodkins which is across the road from the college, though the early house Slattery's on Capel street was a good student filled spot too and used to (possilby still) has good live music night as it was run by Smiley Bolger, a promoter for Thin Lizzy back in the day.

The Big Tree on Dorset St. was a good live music student spot also. Hmm I must make my way round these places again sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

Yes but they keep moving them round and they're seriously diminishing in number so I reckon they're not going to remain a permanent fixture.

• Advertisement

cade wrote: »
    Not only that but he's a regular in your college OP, well at least he is when he gets his ass out of bed, so around two days a week regular :D

Miss you too man...:D
    cade wrote: »
    The Big Tree on Dorset St. was a good live music student spot also. Hmm I must make my way round these places again sometime soon.

Not sure what it's like on Saturdays, but Fridays that place are beyond dead.

Advertisement