Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Whitechurch, Dublin please

Options
  • 10-05-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello there, just wondering if anyone could help?
    My sister-in-law has been offered a council house in Whitechurch Rathfarnham and is feeling a bit nervous about the area.
    Can anyone from the area give your opinion on it?

Is it OK, is it rough-is it a nice place? I think hearing from Whitechurch residents might make up her mind on whether to move in or not.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Few years ago but worth reading this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936766

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Few years ago but worth reading this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936766

Thanks-I read that, interesting reading..Would be good to hear a recent opinion from a resident or two from the area itself, but thanks MrJoeSoap, that was helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I grew up near there and I would not recommend it, especially if she is nervous already. Been about five years since I had to actually go in to Whitechurch, but I doubt much has changed since then, or if it has they're keeping it very quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Heres my two pence for what its worth

I grew up in a place called holylands (its now mountain veiw estate :D) at the time it was rough and I mean rough, admittedly I grew up on the quieter road but none the less it was the same estate.....at the time there where a number of families that caused a lot of trouble and where best avoided

We were sent to a school well out of the area so our school friends where not ones in the estate, so we had another outlet and didnt really pal in the area which was good, I knew a few individuals but never actually hung around there, mam also sent us to activities not that we had much money we didnt but we where not in the estate a lot of the time

I heard of people dying due to drugs, I seen kids my own age drinking and doing drugs over in the field at nutgrove but I was never into that stuff

"Holylands" is now a very quite estate mostly privately owned and no real trouble and generally a nice place to live, I only realised this after I moved out and would go back to visit my mam

On to Whitechurch, I think Whitechurch has the same reputation that Holylands had a number of years ago, however a few bad eggs shouldn't dictate how a place is perceived. I know of one individual from there who was a nightmare, who is now staying in accommodation at her majesty pleasure, so there is one bad egg gone, and how much longer till the rest grow up, die from drugs or end up in prison, its what happened where I grew up

So not saying that your friend should take it but she could be offered worse ie Tallaght or Clondalkin or she could get better considering she is probably on the DLRDCOCO housing list

I think if you can advise her to go there during the day and also at night just to drive around slowly and at various times to judge for herself, if she does take it up gets the kids into a school well away from the area so they have another outlet

I totally understand your predicament at the moment I am on SDCOCO and my options are Tallaght, Lucan and Clondalkin none of which I have any desire to live in and as I dont drive I would be stuck there with no way of getting over to my family, so certainly do not want to do that but I do realise an area is what you make it and where I am now is not ideal but we make the most of it for now until we can afford to move back to DLRDCOCO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hello there, just wondering if anyone could help?
    My sister-in-law has been offered a council house in Whitechurch Rathfarnham and is feeling a bit nervous about the area.
    Can anyone from the area give your opinion on it?

Is it OK, is it rough-is it a nice place? I think hearing from Whitechurch residents might make up her mind on whether to move in or not.
    Thank you.

I'm familiar with the area.
    It's rough around the edges and your sister will get use to the noise of mopeds and gardens with white vans but there are far, far worse places to live in Dublin.
    She won't be dealing with robbed cars, fires and people getting shot.
    The upside is, it has all the benefits of Rathfarnham, the mountains, Marley Park and good bus service and most importantly the chipper in Whitechurch is daycent.
    Overall, it's not a place you would fear for your safety but don't expect glamour.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the area.
    It's rough around the edges and your sister will get use to the noise of mopeds and gardens with white vans but there are far, far worse places to live in Dublin.
    She won't be dealing with robbed cars, fires and people getting shot.
    The upside is, it has all the benefits of Rathfarnham, the mountains, Marley Park and good bus service and most importantly the chipper in Whitechurch is daycent.
    Overall, it's not a place you would fear for your safety but don't expect glamour.

Thanks for that..she grew up on a council estate in Tallaght which was fine-of course there were a few bad eggs but she never felt unsafe.
    She just feels nervous because she's not familiar with the area, but I'm thinking it's just like any other council estate in Dublin.
    If it has a serious crime problem or if there's trouble on a daily basis, I think she'd rather know.
    I'll pass on your comments.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

My in laws live in ballyboden and I have friends in whitechurch, they don't seem to have any problems up there, there will always be the few bad eggs where ever you move to. Shops and church and brilliant chipper up there and as the other poster said very close to all amenities. Great residents association too.

alie wrote: »
    My in laws live in ballyboden and I have friends in whitechurch, they don't seem to have any problems up there, there will always be the few bad eggs where ever you move to. Shops and church and brilliant chipper up there and as the other poster said very close to all amenities. Great residents association too.

Thanks for that-she is moving in to her new home tomorrow and I've passed all these comments on to her and they've actually really helped her feel at ease.
    I appreciate your help everyone, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brazilaa

Thanks for that-she is moving in to her new home tomorrow and I've passed all these comments on to her and they've actually really helped her feel at ease.
    I appreciate your help everyone, thanks

hi i have just been offered a house in the whithchurch way area .... could you please let me know how your sister has found the area and is it alright. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sisters

Could anyone tell me what Whitechurch lawn is like? heard mixed reviews about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

sisters wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what Whitechurch lawn is like? heard mixed reviews about it

My best friend lives on the Lawn and while she had her doubts at first, she loves it. Anytime I've been there its really quiet and you wouldnt hear a pin drop. She was quite nervous moving to Whitechurch but she's had no bother at all and she's always saying how lovely everyone is.

Advertisement