Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccinating dogs for boarding kennels

• 10-05-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Do I need to take my dog to the vet to get vaccinated for kennel cough for boarding kennels? does'nt the vet need to sign something to prove they were vaccinated, my local vet quoted €80 per dog (I have 3 dogs) so thats €240! Is there any other alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

For kennels it does need to be done for a vet as you'll need proof of vaccination. Also the kennel cough vaccine is given up the nose so really a vet should do it as it takes a bit of practice! Ring around a few different vets and get more quotes, prices can vary a lot between practices! Where abouts are you located? Some people here may be able to pm you the name of a cheaper vet :)

Edit: Just make sure you have it done at a minimum 2 weeks before he goes into kennels, they won't accept dogs that have been vaccinated less than 2 weeks as the vaccine wouldn't have fully activated yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

€80 per dog!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    My vet does my two for €40, and you do need it plus a vaccination card or letter from the vet to say what vaccs they have and when the boosters are due.
    I would say call around, but the vacc cert can only be gotten from your current vet.
    I would definitely ask if he meant €80 for all three.

It'd be cheaper to bring them with you:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The booster vaccs with Kennel cough are usually around 70 altogether, so 80 would be a little on the high side, but 40 would be very cheap for all those vacc's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I pay €50 for booster & KC vaccine. other vets looking for €80 so you should ring around. where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would be astounded if it was €80 per dog for just the kennel cough vaccine. Are the dogs up to date on all of their other vaccinations? Sorry OP, but as you ask doesn't the vet have to sign something to say that they are vaccinated, it suggests to me (maybe wrongly) that you don't have vaccination cards at all.

Kennels will need the dogs to be fully up date with all of their vaccinations, not just the KC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

maybe that price was for the initial round of vaccinations?
    OP should contact the kennels and find out how long before boarding the vaccs need to be completed (usually around 10 days), or you might run out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

I'm in Cork, I have a vaccination card for two of the dogs from last year which cost €80 each, I have plenty of time I just want to get it sorted early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lynchieboy wrote: »
    I'm in Cork, I have a vaccination card for two of the dogs from last year which cost €80 each, I have plenty of time I just want to get it sorted early

If dogs don't need their booster maybe vet is charging you for consultation and kc vaccination? Total rip off if that is the case! I think I pay €75 or €80 for booster and kc in Dublin but don't get charged consultation.

Advertisement