Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Army, the chips are in!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BornToKill wrote: »
    I can't see how being on a bus or train would get you locked out of the public transport grid? That sounds counter-productive.
    Fare dodging, public order offenses, puking on the Nightlink etc. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Fare dodging, public order offenses, puking on the Nightlink etc. :p

Again, grand with that. I hate paying my fare and subsidising the scobies who never have a ticket. No-one wants to be harassed or puked on either. Kick them off - that's fine with me. It's all good so far.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    There will be legislation (albeit poorly written) and technical controls to hide this info from people without clearance to see it.

I have no problem with this on a chip if it makes daily life faster and easier to get through.

Just because its on a chip does not mean the doctor who scans you is going to see the ****ing receipt for the last prono you rented.
    It will if the shop has a transmitter to upload data to the chip! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

BornToKill wrote: »
    So ...

no illegal drug trade
    no black market
    no tax evasion
    no social welfare scamming

Just because it's a cashless society? It would make the first two more problematic but what would stop people bartering and trading for goods and services directly? Also, plenty of things can be used as a de facto currency like food, livestock, minerals and arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

briany wrote: »
    Just because it's a cashless society? It would make the first two more problematic but what would stop people bartering and trading for goods and services directly? Also, plenty of things can be used as a de facto currency like food, livestock, minerals and arms.

I'll give you this chicken for a wrap of heroin, then. It would seriously cramp street dealing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm in two minds on the matter as one of the 'target audience', shall we say.

On the one hand, I'm not a fan of the idea of being 'chipped.'

On the other hand, I'm also not a fan of the fates of some of the Americans who have been captured and spirited away with no idea as to where the heck they went to or, at times, even when they were taken (Eg Nick Berg, Matt Maupin): Anything which gives a chance of immediate rescue has something to recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

On the other hand, I'm also not a fan of the fates of some of the Americans who have been captured and spirited away with no idea as to where the heck they went to or, at times, even when they were taken (Eg Nick Berg, Matt Maupin): Anything which gives a chance of immediate rescue has something to recommend it.

The lads doing the capturing now will just shovel out the chip with a hot spoon before they throwing the fella into the bag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anything which gives a chance of immediate rescue has something to recommend it.
    I'd be nervous of something that could give your position away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

twinQuins wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for those details.

Like you said, unless you've done something illegal you should have nothing to hide.
    A lot of people died in WWII because ID cards and databases had too much information

You have done something illegal.
    It's a fairly safe bet you've driven a car above the speed limit, or over hatched white lines in the road. Maybe you've downloaded something or otherwise engaged in copyright infringement. Maybe what you have done isn't illegal yet or is legal here but illegal in the US, and they don't mind kidnapping people who break their laws.

Three thousand years ago..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth
    Gilead then cut Ephraim off from the fords of the Jordan, and whenever Ephraimite fugitives said, 'Let me cross,' the men of Gilead would ask, 'Are you an Ephraimite?' If he said, 'No,' they then said, 'Very well, say "Shibboleth" (שבלת).' If anyone said, "Sibboleth" (סבלת), because he could not pronounce it, then they would seize him and kill him by the fords of the Jordan. Forty-two thousand Ephraimites fell on this occasion.
    —Judges 12:5-6

• Advertisement
Advertisement