Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl composter what not to put in

Options
  • 11-05-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Bought one of these and the instructions say not to put potatoe peelings or citrus fruit into it,:confused: Is there anything else that i shouldnt put into it, think i have most of the things that shouldnt go in but thought potatoe peel and citrus fruit would be ok to put into it,:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well potato peels will more than likely sproot and start to grow more potatoes and use up the compost around it. I never add them. Citrus fruit is acidic. Not all plants like acidic compost and can react bad. But if you only have a little amount, break it up and chuck it in.
    Don't put any cooked scraps or meat/fish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never really had a problem with potato peelings; if they do sprout, they don't get very far due to lack of light, and die and compost.

Man I've had some go mad on me. They actually started producing little tubers. Spring onions too. I've been amazed to see what can and will grow in the dark. I guess there might also be a concern about spreading virus/blight? Domestic composters dont always generate the high heat needed to kill off everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

think ill chop up the spuds to be on the safe side,
    thanks for the help:D

but even from a little peeling they grow! :) If you see a piece with an eye on it, chuck it and put the rest in. Makes you wonder how we manage to fail growing crops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Never had a problem with peelings either, yeh the occasional sprout, but they rot down well. I'd avoid egg shells as they can attract rats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I thought that raw egg shells are ok, never put cooked shells in it? Is it really not recommended?

Advertisement