Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processing as a software

Options
  • 11-05-2012 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone know about the software "Processing"? What do you think about it? How often does it used in daily work or life? Better to hear some on-hand experience...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I assume you mean the Java based graphics API. I don't think it finds much use outside of academic circles, and has / will be trumped by HTML5's canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

You really have to give a bit more detail on it. Are you applying for a job & looking at how this would look? Are you a designer/programmer — going into either?

Processing was created to give visual designers/artists a simplified platform for writing code to do motion graphics/interactive pieces. It's really good for what it's designed for, but I don't know if you'd write production software from it. Like the way it can compile as an Android app though.

While HTML canvas is the platform you'd go with on the web, processing has been ported to a JS library so could be used here also.

Really depends on what angle you're coming from to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 magpie0508

Feathers wrote: »
    You really have to give a bit more detail on it. Are you applying for a job & looking at how this would look? Are you a designer/programmer — going into either?
    QUOTE]

I am starting my MSc program in computer science this fall. Just found a book about this software and get quite intested-I like visualization. Wanted to know you guys' thoughts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I'd say go for it. It gives a good entry point into doing visualisations & dealing with timings/frames, flocking etc. If you're in computer science, you might find it a bit simplicistic, but it's essentially Java under the hood so you can expand on it.

I haven't seen much of it professionally in work (web development), but it's really about getting your head around the aspects of it like the 3D, lighting image manipulation etc. Find it interesting too, but don't have enough time to devote to it unfortunately.

Advertisement