Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My ozzy VISA options? (currently 457)

Options
  • 11-05-2012 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a bit confused from some of the chats I've had with people (in addition to googling).

Currently I'm on a business sponsored 457 and have been for just over a year. Very very grateful to my employer but I'd like the option of moving about now, particularly to another city.

What options do I have? I don't want to have another employer have to sponsor me, so I'd like to be a free agent. Myself and my ozzy girlfriend have discussed marriage and that's the way we're going ... but I don't want to be in her pocket either :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Don't know about the marriage route but like yourself we're on a 457 and are now looking at a 857. Have a look at it and see if there's anything helpful in it.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/
    You be tied to the same employer for two years but after that you're free to move, plus you'll have done two years towards citizenship on your own.
    I don't think the 857 route is affected much by the upcoming changes, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You don't have to actually get married to get a Partner Visa you can be in what is called de facto relationship for one year
    Check here to see if you qualify http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

Partner permanent visa (subclass 801)

remain permanently in Australia with your partner
    work and study in Australia
    enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare
    See: Medicare
    eligible to receive certain social security payments
    See: Centrelink
    apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)

Advertisement