Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII grenade found in Rahoon garden

Options
  • 11-05-2012 8:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

More than 30 families were evacuated from their homes in the city overnight, after a viable World War Two grenade was discovered in the garden of a house.
    The device was found at around 10.30pm at a property in Currach Buí in Rahoon. The army bomb disposal team was called to the scene. The area was made safe after 1.30am. http://www.galwaynews.ie/25754-evacuation-rahoon-following-discovery-grenade

How on earth did it get there and from where? WWII was 70 years ago. Anyone have any further info in relation to this. Maybe I should go and inspect my garden.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Allied or Axis grenade?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Was it dug up, or was it found lying there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kevin65 wrote: »
    Was it dug up, or was it found lying there?

Indeed - who recognised it, and how did they know it was a grenade?

Why were they looking in the garden at the time? It's pretty dark at 10:30pm at night at the moment ....

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

JustMary wrote: »
    Why were they looking in the garden at the time? It's pretty dark at 10:30pm at night at the moment ....

Front door slams...

W:howya love, how was the pub?

M: grand now, fairly quiet just had a quick one on the way home

W: ah sure thats nice, did ya drop that movie back to xtravision on the way to work?

M: I did, did ya sort that grenade in the garden?

W: jez no, totally forgot.

M: ahh for f--k sake, whats wrong with ya? do I have to do everything around here? I told ya I wanted to get that cleared out before I cut the grass at the weekend.

W: sorry luv but today was mental.

M: I'll have to ring them now and look at the bleen'in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The Holy Hand Grenade of Rahoon ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No offence here, but if you asked me "guess which Rahoon estate they found a hand grenade in" that'd pretty much be top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Evacuating 30 families for one grenade?! That's a bit over the top surely. I could understand if it was a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

That was from the one house,could you imagine if they had to evacuate the entire street!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    No offence here, but if you asked me "guess which Rahoon estate they found a hand grenade in" that'd pretty much be top of my list.

Ahh, yeah, that's kinda what makes me wonder what "hand grenade" really means. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Sappa wrote: »
    That was from the one house,could you imagine if they had to evacuate the entire street!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

As far as I could see there was a maximum of 8-10 houses evacuated.

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh, yeah, that's kinda what makes me wonder what "hand grenade" really means. ;)
    Ya know, I have no idea what this means.
    Is it a triple or quadruple entendre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

snubbleste wrote: »
    How on earth did it get there and from where? WWII was 70 years ago. Anyone have any further info in relation to this. Maybe I should go and inspect my garden.

Pineapple?

You forget... WW2 in Europe had a Western Front, an Eastern Front, a Southern Front (when the Allies invaded Italy) and of course the Rahoon Front !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

I can't copy and paste it, but it says on Galway News Facebook page that a guy found it on Spiddal Beach and brought it home to his house in Rahoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 germyldon

..I heard it was found on a beach in Spiddal and brought home,prob unwittinglly:)

At least he had the, er, sense, to leave it in the garden and not the play room.

I can't copy and paste it, but it says on Galway News Facebook page that a guy found it on Spiddal Beach and brought it home to his house in Rahoon

Wonder what he would have done if he found a mine on the beach?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

scholar007 wrote: »
    Wonder what he would have done if he found a mine on the beach?
    Keep it in the shed like in Hot Fuzz?

So now the other questions arise :

How the hell did a WW2 grenade end up on Spiddal beach ?

Should the Blue Flag criteria also be testing for "lack of explosives" on the beach?

;)

• Advertisement

Hey - I've just found something on the beach in Salthill.

I havent a clue what it is but its 6 foot in length and cylindrical (silverish in colour) with a little propellor and fins on one end and a small nipple like protrusion on the other.

I think it would look nice in my garden at home - Anyone willing to give me a hand loading it into the car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Depends, do you live in Rahoon?

I think the original story was some lovesick puppy trying to serenade his love-to-be by crooning the popular love ditty Grenade, complete with props..

Didn't some old geezer find a barrel of marijauna and a .45 automatic on Salthill beach years back?
    He went and turned it in.:rolleyes:

Advertisement