Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan cable?

• 11-05-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Need about 30m of lan cable with plugs both ends, priced in Maplin was 60 euro:eek:, anywhere local I could get it cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

Opposite Emo Filling station on Clare Street, Kengiston (possible wrong spellings) they will make up one for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Was that for the actual cable, or was that it packaged in a box?

You can get the cable cut, and then just do it up yourself for cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

60 euro seems mental, is that for Cat6 or Cat5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Need about 30m of lan cable with plugs both ends, priced in Maplin was 60 euro:eek:, anywhere local I could get it cheaper?

acalmenvoy if you're around town i have a 50ft cat5 cable you can have for free, cat6 is only any good to you if you're running a gigabit network, and even then there's no guarantee your laptop nic will support it...

im looking at you nvidia gigabit chipset that fails to resolve ip addresses unless you throttle it down to 100mb! :mad:

but 100mb is more than sufficient anyway, im still able to happily stream HD content from my laptop to my xbox 360 media center with no lag and no interference... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

xsiborg wrote: »

acalmenvoy if you're around town i have a 50ft cat5 cable you can have for free, cat6 is only any good to you if you're running a gigabit network, and even then there's no guarantee your laptop nic will support it...

im looking at you nvidia gigabit chipset that fails to resolve ip addresses unless you throttle it down to 100mb! :mad:

but 100mb is more than sufficient anyway, im still able to happily stream HD content from my laptop to my xbox 360 media center with no lag and no interference... :)

For free? I'll take seven :p

• Advertisement

haha, i have two spare dave, i got the guy in micro-ireland in thomas street to make them up for me at €10 a go, i don't need 'em now so i can give you one anyway, two if we dont hear back from acalmenvoy... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Enright wrote: »
    Opposite Emo Filling station on Clare Street, Kengiston (possible wrong spellings) they will make up one for you

Nice one, I'll give them a try.
    The Snipe wrote: »
    Was that for the actual cable, or was that it packaged in a box?

You can get the cable cut, and then just do it up yourself for cheap :)

That was boxed, could get the cable but I'd need a special tool and a bit of 'knowhow'.
    60 euro seems mental, is that for Cat6 or Cat5?

That was for cat5e, cat6 was a fiver more.

Thats sound of you, but I'm gonna need a minimum of 100ft (30m). I'll give micro ireland a ring, thanx again.

30 euro in Microireland, and 25 in Kedington, nice one lads, by god that Maplin is a rip off.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Techpart.ie are also good. Off the ballysimon road by the toyota parts place.

MarkR wrote: »

Lovely, 20 euro, and I don't have to go to that hell hole we call 'town':D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Nice one, I'll give them a try.

That was boxed, could get the cable but I'd need a special tool and a bit of 'knowhow'.

That was for cat5e, cat6 was a fiver more.

Thats sound of you, but I'm gonna need a minimum of 100ft (30m). I'll give micro ireland a ring, thanx again.

Heads are only about 2euro, and the tool you can get for the same price in any of the chinese shops about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

cant recommend these lads highly enough...when i moved into my current role i switched to them as a supplier because they are local and i support local as much as i can. They have gone above and beyond on numerous occasions to help me out.

haha, i have two spare dave, i got the guy in micro-ireland in thomas street to make them up for me at €10 a go, i don't need 'em now so i can give you one anyway, two if we dont hear back from acalmenvoy... :)

I might actually take one man if thats ok. I have a 20ft one so need to see it that'l reach first.

Moved into the new apartment on bottom of windmill st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Seems to be people in here that might be able to advise me so I hope no minds me throwing in a question .

I am thining of switching over from eircom to UPC for my broadband , my tv point is over at the opposite side of the room to my pc so I would need to run cable around the room .... would this techpart.ie place be able to make up what I presume is just ordinary coaxial cable but with the proper screw in end fittings ?

jonski wrote: »
    Seems to be people in here that might be able to advise me so I hope no minds me throwing in a question .

I am thining of switching over from eircom to UPC for my broadband , my tv point is over at the opposite side of the room to my pc so I would need to run cable around the room .... would this techpart.ie place be able to make up what I presume is just ordinary coaxial cable but with the proper screw in end fittings ?

jonski you'll get a wireless router with UPC, they'll just change your tv point walljack to a UPC one so you wont need to run any extra coax... oh hold on, you mean a desktop machine?

well the best option to avoid unsightly cables would be to pick up a usb wireless dongle that'll connect up to your pc and pick up the signal from the wireless router.

otherwise what you need is a length of ethernet cable taped along the skirting board to keep it tidy, coax would only be necessary if you wanted to move the router over beside your desktop, its physically not as flexible as ethernet cable and any sort of kinks in it will degrade quality.

course if you still wanted to move your router over, yep, you guessed it- i have ohh, about 30 foot of coax here in limerick that you can have, plus the F-connector screw on fittings you'll need.

i'd still suggest though maybe after a while you get the usb dongle because the cables can be unsightly... :(

oh forgot to add- if you need more coax cable you can get it in urlan tv in town for i think 60c per metre

I might actually take one man if thats ok. I have a 20ft one so need to see it that'l reach first.

no bother dave, you're not too far away from me either, im out and about at the minute (posting off the mobile :)) but i have a dental appointment this evening at 7 so if 8 aint too late i can drop the cable down and see how you get on with it... :)

Yeah , I always remember , AFTER I read a reply to any of my questions here , that I never seem to include all the information I should .....

It's a desktop and used primarily for gaming so wireless is out , I will want to move the UPC modem over here as all the cables are here to shift the BB on to another room where the kids PC's and Xbox are , I hadn't thought about the whole "kinks " in the cable thing ..........I might need to think this out again .

no bother dave, you're not too far away from me either, im out and about at the minute (posting off the mobile :)) but i have a dental appointment this evening at 7 so if 8 aint too late i can drop the cable down and see how you get on with it... :)

I'll be home myself about 5, will check out the one I cureently have and will let ya know, cheers mate :)

Yeah , I always remember , AFTER I read a reply to any of my questions here , that I never seem to include all the information I should .....

It's a desktop and used primarily for gaming so wireless is out , I will want to move the UPC modem over here as all the cables are here to shift the BB on to another room where the kids PC's and Xbox are , I hadn't thought about the whole "kinks " in the cable thing ..........I might need to think this out again .

This will do the job. I use it for upc at home.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336750361&sr=8-1

This will do the job. I use it for upc at home.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336750361&sr=8-1

i thought about that too Mark til jonski said he wanted to locate the router where the desktop was.

if he were to get a couple of them though it'd certainly do away with the need for all the other cables leading to the other rooms!

• Advertisement

It does seem a little wasteful for just crossing a room. Very good for getting it to another room. If it was me, i'd run a coaxial cable with the f-type connector on it behind or on top of the skirting board. Modem right by the computer, and connect that to pc direct, and then on to tp-link for other room. Or really push the boat out and get three of them. One by the modem. One by the pc. One in the other room.

It does seem a little wasteful for just crossing a room. Very good for getting it to another room. If it was me, i'd run a coaxial cable with the f-type connector on it behind or on top of the skirting board. Modem right by the computer, and connect that to pc direct, and then on to tp-link for other room. Or really push the boat out and get three of them. One by the modem. One by the pc. One in the other room.

that's the thing, we'd really have to see the setup and layout of the place before we could make a recommendation, i think when i said about minding the kinks in the coax you'd nearly have to do a sharp 90 degrees on it or a full 180, you'd get away with an odd bend here and there.

what jonski could do too is have the upc installer run the cable in from the outside wall of the house near to where the desktop is located, then homeplugs as you suggested in the other rooms... :)

that's the thing, we'd really have to see the setup and layout of the place before we could make a recommendation, i think when i said about minding the kinks in the coax you'd nearly have to do a sharp 90 degrees on it or a full 180, you'd get away with an odd bend here and there.

what jonski could do too is have the upc installer run the cable in from the outside wall of the house near to where the desktop is located, then homeplugs as you suggested in the other rooms... :)

We demand architectural plans! :D

At least he has some idea now.

We demand architectural plans! :D

At least he has some idea now.

It's a typical Janesboro house . The tv is over at the opposite side of the room to the pc , going one way I would have to negotiate 2 doors and the other way has an open plan to the kitchen so either way hiding the wires is going to be a problem .

My main problem is lack of knowledge and lack of thought . The diffenences between cable and adsl is just something that never even entered my head .

I currently have eircom BB with the phone line running to directly behind my pc it connects to a Netgear dgn 2200 and from there land 1 goes to my pc lan 2 runs into the fron room and over to my sons pc , lan 3 runs into the front room and over to the other side where it hooks up to a Prime Dual 16-port 10/100 hub pd-1016r , connected to that are my two daughters pc's and an xbox .............. there is also two laptops and 4 smart phones in the house . ( it's like an internet cafe here at times ) ( and no , I'm not loaded , just handy and building and upgrading and buying from adverts :) ) .

The switch to UPC was to save money and was only considered after feedback from the gaming community that UPC was now suitable for gaming . I have gone in next door and run ping tests and tracerts around 9 pm at night and it seems pretty stable and consistant ......... but the switch was never supposed to have an initial outlay of cash , so self install and use of the equipment I already had . I didn't realise or stop to think that I wouldn't be able to use the DGN2200 as a simple router by running an ethernet cable over from UPC's cisco modem .

So ther eye go , my life story laid out like an open book :D

you actually CAN use your router with a upc modem (i saw too the advice you were given in the broadband forum, jor el was wrong, karsini was right).

i remember a post in the broadband forums that told you specifically and easily step by step instructions on how to set this up.

it was by a poster who frequents the limerick forum too actually called 'roast'... :)

ps, now you can go back to the original idea with the ethernet cable, although homeplugs would be a much better way to go tbh, sounds like you have an awful entanglement of cables and equipment running around there! :D;)

you actually CAN use your router with a upc modem (i saw too the advice you were given in the broadband forum, jor el was wrong, karsini was right).

i remember a post in the broadband forums that told you specifically and easily step by step instructions on how to set this up.

it was by a poster who frequents the limerick forum too actually called 'roast'... :)

ps, now you can go back to the original idea with the ethernet cable, although homeplugs would be a much better way to go tbh, sounds like you have an awful entanglement of cables and equipment running around there! :D;)

Gonna jump in here and ask a question, I have digiweb in the apt. and have the router hooked up by the phone line here in the sitting room.

There are phone jacks in each room, could I use an old modem I have in one of the rooms rather than running an ethernet cable from the sitting room?

Have the UPC cisco modem and a ZyXEL one too. Should really ask roast, he works with this shtuff everyday :D

Gonna jump in here and ask a question, I have digiweb in the apt. and have the router hooked up by the phone line here in the sitting room.

There are phone jacks in each room, could I use an old modem I have in one of the rooms rather than running an ethernet cable from the sitting room?

Have the UPC cisco modem and a ZyXEL one too. Should really ask roast, he works with this shtuff everyday :D

as long as dave each phone point is active (which you'd be extremely lucky to happen tbh!), you could run as many routers off the one line as you want, but, only one router would want to be turned on at a time, in other words- turn off the router in the living room if you're going to be connected to the router in the bedroom, and vice versa when you go back to the living room.

for handiness sake aswel make all the wireless SSIDs the same... :)

as long as dave each phone point is active (which you'd be extremely lucky to happen tbh!), you could run as many routers off the one line as you want, but, only one router would want to be turned on at a time, in other words- turn off the router in the living room if you're going to be connected to the router in the bedroom, and vice versa when you go back to the living room.

for handiness sake aswel make all the wireless SSIDs the same... :)

Ok, will give that a try now so in a few... Spare room is my den and where the sexbox will be located, didn't wanna be running that on wireless :cool:

Ok, will give that a try now so in a few... Spare room is my den and where the sexbox will be located, didn't wanna be running that on wireless :cool:

the UPC modem/router wont work with the digiweb DSL though dave, its a cable modem/router.

but same as jonski you should consider putting some money aside and getting homeplugs after a while, save all the router switching and cable running... :)

• Advertisement

I'll go have a search around and see if I can find that Post by Roast .

It's not strangely enough , all the cables are either well hidden or enclosed in trunking . I have no experience with the homeplugs networking any slow down or interference with them does anyone know ?

Advertisement