Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan cable?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

xsiborg wrote: »
    the UPC modem/router wont work with the digiweb DSL though dave, its a cable modem/router.

but same as jonski you should consider putting some money aside and getting homeplugs after a while, save all the router switching and cable running... :)

Quick scout on Amazon.co.uk shows 'em averaging €40, how do they work (excuse the ignorance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

not t'all dave, basically they come in pairs, one you plug into the electrical socket near your router, and plug the ethernet from your router into it with a standard 1.8m cable. the other plug then goes in an electrical socket near your xbox, and you run a standard ethernet cable into it.

they use your electrical wiring in the house then to transfer data at up to 200mb/s between your xbox and your router, i dont think the zyxel is a gigabit port router but at least you'd get the maximum 100mb/s full-duplex throughput the very same as you would if you were to run a length of cat5 into the den from the router in the living room.

are these the ones you're talking about on amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000SO94FA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/276-6293559-8101200

i'd sooner get the ones out in PC world out near the parkway that were €80 for the 200mb/s throughput rate, especially if you were using them for xbox and you wanted no lag. also they'd work better with the windows media center app on your xbox if you wanted to stream music and movies, etc...

not t'all dave, basically they come in pairs, one you plug into the electrical socket near your router, and plug the ethernet from your router into it with a standard 1.8m cable. the other plug then goes in an electrical socket near your xbox, and you run a standard ethernet cable into it.

they use your electrical wiring in the house then to transfer data at up to 200mb/s between your xbox and your router, i dont think the zyxel is a gigabit port router but at least you'd get the maximum 100mb/s full-duplex throughput the very same as you would if you were to run a length of cat5 into the den from the router in the living room.

are these the ones you're talking about on amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000SO94FA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/276-6293559-8101200

i'd sooner get the ones out in PC world out near the parkway that were €80 for the 200mb/s throughput rate, especially if you were using them for xbox and you wanted no lag. also they'd work better with the windows media center app on your xbox if you wanted to stream music and movies, etc...

That sounds ideal, little to no lag that way. Might head down this route then, must put some cash aside :cool:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There's a 500 mb/s one on ibood today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Ok, will give that a try now so in a few... Spare room is my den and where the sexbox will be located, didn't wanna be running that on wireless :cool:

Hmmm what is a sexbox, and where may I get one? :P

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Hmmm what is a sexbox, and where may I get one? :P

At any good local retailer, just give a sly wink to the person at the counter and they'll sort you out with one, will set ya back 200 a night though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

At any good local retailer, just give a sly wink to the person at the counter and they'll sort you out with one, will set ya back 200 a night though :P

Word of warning, make sure you get one with a male-female socket, I got the male-male with disastorous results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

/276-6293559-8101200[/url]

I missed this part and headed off out to PC World to have a look this morning ..... €80 , I wasn't expecting them to be that expensive :(

Having said that there does seem to be some kind of deal with signing up for UPC between PC World and Carphone Warehouse for a voucher so that might off set the expense .

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

jonski wrote: »
    I missed this part and headed off out to PC World to have a look this morning ..... €80 , I wasn't expecting them to be that expensive :(

Having said that there does seem to be some kind of deal with signing up for UPC between PC World and Carphone Warehouse for a voucher so that might off set the expense .

You'd get the one from amazon cheaper. €53 delivered. Fast delivery too.

MarkR wrote: »

You'd get the one from amazon cheaper. €53 delivered. Fast delivery too.

jonski i'd get rid of half that unnecessary equipment you have and go with marks idea and get the plugs on amazon and then put the voucher towards something else, although as mark pointed out pcworld you pay a fierce hefty premium for the convenience of having them just out the road... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jonski, If your still after a set of homeplugs I have a set of 85mps Devolo Homeplugs that I no longer use(Actually have 2 sets).
    30 quid will make me a happy camper if you want to take a set ;)

EDIT :Just to add I was using them to stream media around a home network to multiple points, and to connect a linux box and PS3 and smart TV to net, and never encountered any lag or bandwith issue even when using the switch with 3 devices to one plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

banie01 wrote: »
    Jonski, If your still after a set of homeplugs I have a set of 85mps Devolo Homeplugs that I no longer use(Actually have 2 sets).
    30 quid will make me a happy camper if you want to take a set ;)

EDIT :Just to add I was using them to stream media around a home network to multiple points, and to connect a linux box and PS3 and smart TV to net, and never encountered any lag or bandwith issue even when using the switch with 3 devices to one plug.

Thanks , I'll keep that in mind but I am still undecided so don't hold them for me because anyone that knows me knows I take forever to make a decision .

The girl on the phone says go with me and I'll do it all for you and there will be no delays , but then there is the boards members deal that is worth €50 and the pc world and carphone warehouse thats worth €125 but both of them seem to be long winded ways around it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

you actually CAN use your router with a upc modem (i saw too the advice you were given in the broadband forum, jor el was wrong, karsini was right).

i remember a post in the broadband forums that told you specifically and easily step by step instructions on how to set this up.

it was by a poster who frequents the limerick forum too actually called 'roast'... :)

ps, now you can go back to the original idea with the ethernet cable, although homeplugs would be a much better way to go tbh, sounds like you have an awful entanglement of cables and equipment running around there! :D;)

Totally missed this thread. I'm gonna chime in in the hope I can help.

I think the post you're referring to is this one. Unfortunately, that post wouldn't help in this case. The DGN2200 is an ADSL modem, doesn't act as a normal ethernet router.

The best I could advise for your situation Jonski, is to switch your DGN2200 to "Routing Only" mode. A cable would connect from the UPC modem, into one of the lan ports on the DGN2200. In essence, the UPC modem would just use the Netgear to distribute it's internet connection to all of your other devices.
    Minimal change to your existing setup, and no real cost involved.
    Although I reckon it would be better to route a coax cable across the room, use the UPC modem, and retire the Netgear. Coax isn't too expensive, and it could be nailed to a skirting board. I wouldn't bend it more than 90 degrees at any one point going around corners though, they can fray pretty easily.

Homeplugs are alright, but I'd stay away from them in this situation. They do add a certain amount to your ping time, which could deteriorate gaming stability (and perhaps even offset the ping improvement from switching from Eircom to UPC!).
    Homeplugs performance really depends on the quality of the wiring in the house, which in 90% of cases is dodgy. Especially if you're in an apartment block, where the power is considered "dirty", homeplugs aren't the way to go.

That being said, they could work perfectly, it depends on your situation!
    But from my own experience, they're too expensive and the possible speed decrease doesn't justify it. Ethernet cable is a lot better, (and cheaper, depending on the source) although it can be a pain to lay!

Dave, best option really would be to lay a cable between the two rooms tbh, and clip it to the skirting board.

roast wrote: »
    Ethernet cable is a lot better, (and cheaper, depending on the source) although it can be a pain to lay!

Dave, best option really would be to lay a cable between the two rooms tbh, and clip it to the skirting board.

Cheers Mike, bit of effort involved in this alright but would prefer that to increased ping time etc and potential lag when gaming.

Will let ye know how I get on with it :cool:

thanks for that one roast, covers all the options comprehensively, and explained each one far better than i could've done! :D

Ran the Ethernet cable into the spare, just reached with a few extras inches to spare.

Sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ran the Ethernet cable into the spare, just reached with a few extras inches to spare.

Sorted :D

Happy days! Don't trip over it. ;)

Hopefully no fear of that, tis run along the wall, out the balcony and in the window :o

Hopefully no fear of that, tis run along the wall, out the balcony and in the window :o

*snip snip*

free broadband, woo! :p

*snip snip*

free broadband, woo! :p

Ya nearly could ya fecker, run a long enough cable across the road :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Now to get one a few hundred meters long, and run it to BGC! :o

Advertisement