Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I also gave it a very through going over with my damp meter - no problems that I could find - it even has all the original booklets for the caravan and all the appliances.
    Excuse my ignorance, we've only recently decided to think about considering the possibility of maybe getting a caravan or motorhome, and I had wondered about damp. What is a damp meter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Hi all, quick question, can I tow a double axle caravan on a normal car license? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

simple answer, not unless you have E+B class on your license, even then very few twin axle caravans would be light enough, paired with a suitable towcar would come in under the 3.5T limit of a B license, so may need E+C1, if you have to do test for this, could be very expensive. My outfit combined is approx 4500Kg and only went this way as I have E+C for work

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donkeykonky

batmanzed wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, we've only recently decided to think about considering the possibility of maybe getting a caravan or motorhome, and I had wondered about damp. What is a damp meter?

Its a small device for measuring the amount of moisture in wood/concrete etc. It usually has 2 sharp prongs on the top that you stick into whatever it is you want to test. it will then give you a % moisture reading. The highter the percentage the wetter the material.
    Caravan walls by virtue of their construction are of the sandwich type. Their is and outside aluminium/grp skin. Glued to this you have wooden battons for support/rigidity. between these battons is insulation. then a layer of vinyl covered board is stuckon top.
    Caravans are prone to leaking along the seams/rails and this can be detected using a damp meter. Anything reading above 15% ish can indicate the caravan is leaking. This can be a pain to fix and very expensive if done professionally. You can pick em up cheap enough on ebay.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Rocheydub

Well, fellow caravaners!

Had a brilliant summer with the tourer, hit Kerry for a week in August (fab weather surprisingly) and a great few days in Wicklow too. I'm considerably hooked! My only flaw with it, was my car (1.6D Volvo) struggled on the long run to Kerry... At times I struggled to get above 40kph!!!

I have traded my car now to a Honda Accord 2.2d as a straight trade, so please God, I can go to Europe next year, struggle free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Rocheydub wrote: »
    My only flaw with it, was my car (1.6D Volvo) struggled on the long run to Kerry... At times I struggled to get above 40kph!!!

Peak torque in that engine is at 1750rpm my father in law has one and he's always overrevving it.

That point aside the 2.2 is definitely a good move. 1.6 clutch and flywheel probably not up to the task anyway. The volvo DMF it a 2000 euro job.

Advertisement