Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2003 times are wrong

Options
  • 11-05-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 DC server 2003's and the time is wrong and as a result all the PC's connected to the network are displaying the wrong time. They are about 14 minutes ahead. I have tried to reset the servers to the correct time but they keep reverting back. How can I change them to the correct time and have them stay that way?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭The Mighty Dubs

Ill have to admit, I'm a total novice at this networking lark. I will need to check this

from what I can make out both servers are running NT5DS. What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NT5DS is used to synch time within the domain hierarchy. NTP is used to synch to an external source.

If you have two NT5DS servers that both are set 14 mins fast and they revert to this time after reset by you - it looks they take their cue from another server, which in turn is 14 mins fast.

A bit more here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223184

There are 4 servers in total on the network. All are NT5DS. So I'm not sure where the NTP server is that it could be possibly getting it from. Is it possible to maybe use one of the servers as an acurate clock and to get the others to synch off it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

I'm using this on every site,installed on at least 2 DCs if possible !
    Then use the Microsoft command to get all clients the nntp from DCs.

Well worth the cost ,keeping in mind that 5 minute off sync can cause issues in AD domain !

Advertisement