Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CELT V CELTA (without a degree)

• 11-05-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

hey,

just looking for advice on which i should do.... i don't have a degree, just have a diploma! I am working in the insurance sectior & have been for the last ten years but am looking at redundancy so want to travel for a bit.

Which would be the better course for me to do? Would i be better off doing the CELTA as without a degree it may be a little easier to get work with the CELTA rather than CELT?

I am looking at traveling to the MiddleEast/South East Asia...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

my girlfriend is in the same boat as you, but she doesn't have any third level qualifications. However, we both did research on the subject and its not a requirement to do the Celta, but some countries/schools only accept potential teachers who have a degree as well as their TEFL qualification, be it Celt, celta or any other qualification.

So it really depends on where you want to work abroad. For instance, afaik South Korea and China won't accept any teachers without a degree, even though you don't even need a TEFL qualification to work in South Korea(only a degree in anything)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

Yes, speaking as a TEFL teacher who has both experience and a CELTA I found it incredibly difficult to get work anywhere without a degree!

While I appreciate some places (particularly Asia i'm afraid) require it for visa purposes, I don't understand the places in Europe who demand you have an undergrad in ANY discipline.

I hate to discourage you as I loved every minute of the CELTA, and I love teaching but just to warn you, you're both going to have a tough time without it.

An avenue I'm looking into now is choosing an Advanced Diploma which is a level 7 or 8 on the NFQ (you need a level 7 to teach in Ireland! ridiculous!) and depending on the course it could only take a couple of months to get...rather than doing 4 years in college. I wonder would this qualification substitute the degree? if the diploma is the level as an undergrad could they be regarded as the exact same thing? Maybe someone here knows...

Advertisement