Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Rás accross the country

• 11-05-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The An Post Rás is an annual, eight-day, stage race around Ireland. The race is Ireland's number one cycling event and will take place from May 20th - 27th, 2012

You mightn't get much of a chance for shots; presuming that they'll cycle past once (not sure if they do any number of circuits in any locations)
    The action gets underway on Sunday May 20th in Dunboyne, Co. Meath with stage finishes in Kilkenny, Gort, Westport, Bundoran, Buncranna, Killybeggs, Coothill and finishing in Skerries
    •Stage 1, Sunday 20th May, DUNBOYNE – KILKENNY 147 Kms.
    •Stage 2, Monday 21st May, KILKENNY – GORT 158 Kms.
    •Stage 3, Tuesday 22nd May, GORT – WESTPORT 145 Kms.
    •Stage 4, Wednesday 23rd May, WESTPORT – BUNDORAN 135 Kms.
    •Stage 5, Thursday 24th May, BUNDORAN – BUNCRANA 149 Kms.
    •Stage 6, Friday 25th May, BUNCRANA – KILLYBEGS 134 Kms.
    •Stage 7, Saturday 26th May, DONEGAL – COOTEHILL 161 Kms.
    •Stage 8, Sunday 27th May, COOTEHILL – SKERRIES 139 Kms.

linkto the route with detailed times and locations within each stage

Some of mine from Galway stage in 2010. This year I'll have my 70-200 f2.8 lens so looking forward to it-
    link 1

lan abstract one

Cheers,
    pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm hoping to get some shots of them passing our town. It will be on the bypass outside town so i'd say they'll be fairly moving. Any tips for me? The fastest moving objects i've shot sofar is football matchs:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

As additional information and taking advantage of Dinneenp's post there's also charity cycle in aid of Temple Street Children's University Hospital a massive concentration of cyclists (about 1,000) is expected on Saturday, May 19th also in Dunboyne.
    More info here: www.cycle4life.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get some shots of them passing our town. It will be on the bypass outside town so i'd say they'll be fairly moving. Any tips for me? The fastest moving objects i've shot sofar is football matchs:pac:

It was two years ago when I last took photos of the race.
    There was 2 groups but it all passed me within 1 minute, extremely quick.

I checked the exact route and picked a location where they'd be cycling up a hill so wouldn't be going as quick. I stood in a roundabout so I'd get them coming up the hill and passing me as well.

I had a 18-250mm lens so could zoom from 250mm (coming up hill) to shorter focal length for them passing me.
    (This year I'll have my 70-200mm f2.8 as main lens so might have problems with when they're passing me; unless I change lenses very quickly but am losing potential shots then.)

I tested on some cars driving past first for panning and shutter speeds and the motor bikes. The road will be closed off about 10-15 mintues before the group come.

Obvioulsy use continuous shot mode.
    A fast aperture for blurred background as well.
    practice your panning beforehand, can get some nice shots with a slower shutter speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

I've drawn maps on ridewithgps for each of the stages

Links here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78641332&postcount=29

Might make it a bit easier for people to figure out the exact route. They can also be downloaded as gps files.

emtroche wrote: »
    I've drawn maps on ridewithgps for each of the stages

Links here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78641332&postcount=29

Might make it a bit easier for people to figure out the exact route. They can also be downloaded as gps files.

Fair play to ya, good detail, I like the gradiant which is important to take into account as the cyclists will be slower on uphills so more time to click, click, click.

Just have to pick my spot now (Galway)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Bagwanscottie

I know they are looking for pix from the Ras stages over at the Ras facebook page, pix of the actual race, spectators etc. They have some cool stuff like a really great 60th anniversary Rás jersey for people who post their pix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bagwanscottie

Just to be totally straight here I'm involved in this years Rás behind the scenes on the An Post side. But I'm a Rás fan. Think it would be great to get tips here for good places to watch/photograph this years Rás. Thanks for starting the thread dinneenp and for the god advice.

One of my kids was sick so I didn't get to take any photos. Just wondering if anyone else did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

dinneenp wrote: »
    One of my kids was sick so I didn't get to take any photos. Just wondering if anyone else did?

I did, have them uploaded here i used my nikor 300mm, was'nt happy with my panning, did'nt get the blurred backround that i wanted. They went through so fast i had'nt time to change settings:cool:
    Had the camera on burst mode, and shot about 150 photos:D

Advertisement