Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any plans to build this year?

• 11-05-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

No I'm not talking about houses silly.....:rolleyes:

Travelling here and there the last few weeks, I've seen a good few girders put standing.

Anyone any plans to put up a shed (be it storage, loose, slatted, etc) this year?

I've also noticed that it's mainly red oxide finish instead of galvanise.... is this penny pinching or were sheds (especially cattle sheds) overspected during the days of 'the grant'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

hmm kinda have a shed in mind but havent made any enqueries yet. i could do with a few extra bays of slats, it would just mean roofing an existing yard area into an existing shed, that area is currently where my crush is though so it would mean digging that out and finding a new spot for it. dont think it would be a terribly expensive job but ive not priced it yet or anything like that..
    on the galvanising, if using H iron i would insist on galvinised..
    i saw a smashing shed a few months back, 4 bay double with creep areas either side and indoor crush etc, real big shed all made from railway track, it was really well done, owner did alot of work himself, told me it was a very cheap shed, its the only one like it ive seen, probably alot better than H iron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have plans to finishing the shed I started last year, over 80% done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have plans to finishing the shed I started last year, over 80% done

Had/have you cattle on just the tanks in the meantime bob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

In 2002 we built a slatted unit with auto scrapers and 56 cubicles. This got us away from using the old small straw bedded sheds.

Last winter we had 64 cows on 56 cubicles. We also had half the old small sheds full again. This winter we will have the same with all the small sheds full. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to put up another shed this year as I only bought a patch of ground last year and have over 20 acres to drain and reseed this year on that along withanother 20+ at home. Next year it will have to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Oh God yeah.

A brand new 4 meter x 3 meter steel garden shed that I got for nothing :D

Can never have too many sheds, of any size :pac:

Don't think I'll need to go looking for a teleporter for this one though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

i work with a builder who does all farm sheds,concreting,welding,building etc. and these last few months have been the quietest this last 5 years. we have usually had a couple days a week at worst the last two years but now we havent even any work priced or enquires about work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

yeah im gonna put up a 60*40 shed with calving pens and pens for suck calfs-

i have a new 45ft wall to go up for a brewers pit

was gonna build a shed the exact same as the one i put up last year for 58heifers with cubicles however the drop in milk price has put that one on hold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    Had/have you cattle on just the tanks in the meantime bob?

sure have and they seem to like it without the umbrella over head. Pillars timber barriers, nearly everything except the sheeting. Its like that for about 6 months. Probably being described locally as the NAMA job that has come to a stop. Rang my builder with a job the other day that I had gotten him and he said he is up the walls again this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

building a 47 x 20 straw bed shed just for suck calves with attached utility area for mixing milk and having a locked cabinet for drugs & chemicals.

Also want to try build a 60 x 40 shed to start a new off farm enterprise. Ideally even a 3 bay hay shed would do.

WANTED : 3 BAY HAY SHED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

building a 47 x 20 straw bed shed just for suck calves with attached utility area for mixing milk and having a locked cabinet for drugs & chemicals.

Also want to try build a 60 x 40 shed to start a new off farm enterprise. Ideally even a 3 bay hay shed would do.

WANTED : 3 BAY HAY SHED

off farm enterprise eh........... tell us more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Loads of plans, doubt they will come to fruitition though. was going to put up three bays over tank and one dry, but holding off till next year (being held off). decided better option to hold on a bit and have the extra to put in calving pens,creep and crush on the back of four bay. spent enough this year with renting land, reseeding, stocking, doing another bit on the house and then to top it off a bloody wedding and honeymoon. i,m just putting in pens in a 5bay hayshed and will keep extra stock on straw bed, with the extra comfort hopefully they will pay for next years housing. (off topic question) whats the ballpark on big baled squares. and how many to winter 40 weanlings.

johnpawl wrote: »
    off farm enterprise eh........... tell us more

He wants the hay shed for a 'lab' and to house an underground safe to stash the cash from the proceeds :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

I just put a 17ft creep onto an existing 60ft slatted cubicle shed,going to divide into two 13x15 calving pens and two 13x15 calf creeps .
    I am putting a 3ft walkway at the back for ease of access.

fear tuath wrote: »
    I am putting a 3ft walkway at the back for ease of access.

Why not make it a crush and it could serve two purposes? Just a thought...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We are extending and re-roofing our fixing/tool shed . The old roof was so bad that even when it was raining outside you couldnt work in there :rolleyes:, so its long overdue .
    It will be a cheap shed , I have damn near enough blocks collected over the past two years so wont need to buy many more to finish them off , got four fine 32 ft girders and heaps of that z profile runners to put on top of the girders for carrying the sheeting .
    A bulider rang a month ago to see if i would take 80 sheets of light guage sheeting , I had them sold within a week for E400 and bought enough heavy guage to cover the roof (35 x 35 ) for E960
    Last of all I rotaspiked and spread the grasseed for an electrician last year and he said he will wire it at cost (hopefully he hasnt forgotten )
    I know it sounds like alot of messing for a small shed but there is no rush with it and it will be a grand shed when i get it finished for small money .
    Oh and i nearly forgot i got a 16 x 16 ft roller door that ill use in it that came from a factory . It was perfect and only about a year old but they had to change it for an electric one instead of one that opens with a chain .
    Its not paying very well to be a plasterer at the minute but it does give me the chance to pick these sort of things up for small money or sometimes no money at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

Why not make it a crush and it could serve two purposes? Just a thought...:rolleyes:

I have got the crush,holding yard ,calf shed,adjoining them.
    The idea of the walkway is to feed calves hay, meal, or move from calving pen without opening or jumping over gates.
    Also stock can be checked before work in the morning without entering pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Goin putting up a 3 bay double 60ft x 40 ft. Just pricing it up this week, hope to get the ball rolling in the next couple off weeks. 40 ft by 15 will be straw bedded. There will be small crush and calving pen and the rest for storing hay, straw and few bits of machinery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

We are looking to put up a 3 bay unit, approx 20.00m x 10.00m. I am fed up chasing lads to price the work. Recession me arse. Some lads wouldnt bother pricing it because he reckons the fella down the road could do it cheaper. Another lad, I have to hound him after getting broken promises to call me back later that day. It's the same for concrete works and steel works.
    Was trying to buy a tractor back in September and had the same hassle. Usual sob story when they are forced to close shop for good. Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i only have 1 pen for cows calving and numbers are up to 90 this year so goimg to do up a 50 x 50 shed ,no floor in it,so have to pour money onto the ground:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

leg wax wrote: »
    i only have 1 pen for cows calving and numbers are up to 90 this year so goimg to do up a 50 x 50 shed ,no floor in it,so have to pour money onto the ground:mad:.
    do you calve most outside or how do you manage with the one calving pen. how long prior to calving would you isolate a cow near calving or would you just let them be? calved down 30 this year on three pens and set up another 2 for next year hopefully calving 50 next year. they would be fairly staggered calvings too , (not by choice).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

We finished this silage slab about 8 weeks back hope to have silage on it in 2 weeks weather permitting:rolleyes:

have planning gone in for a 4 bay slatted shed with 14'6'' slats hope to break ground sometime in july.

We finished this silage slab about 8 weeks back hope to have silage on it in 2 weeks weather permitting:rolleyes:

have planning gone in for a 4 bay slatted shed with 14'6'' slats hope to break ground sometime in july.

Nice work.;) Is it just a flat slab, can't see any effluent channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

1chippy wrote: »
    do you calve most outside or how do you manage with the one calving pen. how long prior to calving would you isolate a cow near calving or would you just let them be? calved down 30 this year on three pens and set up another 2 for next year hopefully calving 50 next year. they would be fairly staggered calvings too , (not by choice).
    95% calve in the pen,i put the cows into the creep area at night if they are close and into the pen when they are broken down.as they spring up they are brought home from a out farm,also calving is not compact(working on it),i have 18 served since the 1 may this year so will need it next spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

did it cost much- ive a very similar job to do-pm me if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i think you put that pic up before, fine job. how are the sheds beside the slab laid out. is it just the leanto part behind the barrier thats slatted or the whole lot. i have sheds very similar to your set up but without the leanto section so I was thinking of slatting it and roofing it in like yours, not sure i could leave it open though as im in a very exposed spot but I figure it would work out cheaper than a entire new shed and it would tie in well with the existing sheds for creep area etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Nice work.;) Is it just a flat slab, can't see any effluent channels?

No not flat whole slab is sloping towards the left with a fall away from where the pic was taken.theres a 6*3 channel set in the concrete running the whole length of the slab about 5meters out from the feed bunker.

@stanflt. figures not fully totted up yet but looking like between 22000 and 24000 +vat . did a good bit of it ourselves . the concrete at the feed bunker is new also because the feed passage was originally on the inside of the lean to which is now the creep area for d calves

@vanderbadger. Yeh put up a couple of pics before it was finished alrite. The lean to is roughly half slats with back half part straw bedded creep area. The round roof shed is one of the two silage pits which will now be penned out for more straw bedded area for cows with baby calves for the 1st week or so after calving.Not sure how to lay it out yet though. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!! its 36' wide 6 bays long with one open end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

noticed there was a good few ads on the journal this week looking for work

Advertisement