Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality tarp

Options
  • 11-05-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi there, i am looking for a replacement tarp to my cheap version, i quite like the dd hammock 3x3 with the 19 attachment points and what look like really good reinforced corners but alas the price,http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp Anyhow anyone here got any suggesstons please. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Hi there, i am looking for a replacement tarp to my cheap version, i quite like the dd hammock 3x3 with the 19 attachment points and what look like really good reinforced corners but alas the price,http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp Anyhow anyone here got any suggesstons please. :)

I have that DD tarp and it's good stuff, but if €45 is too expensive, then you've a good few options. There's tons of G1 surplus British Army bashas on eBay, and while not as big or light as the DD, they are tough as nails.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have the DD tarp and it's grand but I wouldn't call it "quality" as such. That category will cost you up to double the DD price. UK army surplus would probably be your best bet for a cheap and strong tarp (but smaller and heavier).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddler1974

the decathalon tarp is a great tarp for the money, has good attachment points is a good size and allows different pitching options google reviews and you will see,
    decathalon shop in belfast
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tarp-khaki-shelter-id_2363223.html#
    also check out tarpology by jed at truenorth tarps
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/shelter/tarpology-setting-up-your-tarp-in-different-configurations.html

happy experimenting

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Thanks paddler, am i right in saying that above tarp has 6 attachment points ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

the british army basha is the toughest, most multipurpose tarp on earth. only one i use. more than big enough for my dd hammock, and far tougher than the dd option, which i think is not that great tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 paddler1974

yes, the tarp has 6 attachment points and also has an attachment point in the middle of the tarp for suspending it from overhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

the british army basha is the toughest, most multipurpose tarp on earth. only one i use. more than big enough for my dd hammock, and far tougher than the dd option, which i think is not that great tbh.

The Brit Basha is great for groundhogs, and you can fit a DD Scout under it, but not their full-size hammocks. That said, it is a terrible option for hammocking. It might just about cover you in the hammock from rain, but wind is a killer when hanging, which is why a big tarp you can peg down is great. The DD is cheap and light, but not tough. Silnylon is lighter, but much more expensive and even less tough. Bashas are tough and cheap, but not big. It'll always be a compromise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Genuine question, is it better than the Aussie hootchie? The only negative I've heard about them is the price. Otherwise owners love them (and aren't shy to tell you...)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Genuine question, is it better than the Aussie hootchie? The only negative I've heard about them is the price. Otherwise owners love them (and aren't shy to tell you...)

i have never used the ausie hoochi. recently spent best part of a week under my british basha in cork where it pissed down solidly the entire time. sleeping in my dd travel hammock. stayed bone dry the entire time no problems.
    yes, there are bigger tarps, lighter tarps, but no stronger tarps.

Advertisement