Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogerstown Harbour pollution

Options
  • 11-05-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

It's quite usual to see sanitary products washed up on the beach at Rogerstown but of late with the storms that seems to have become much worse. I'm wondering if the local sewerage plant is not sufficient to prevent this or are these waste products coming of the many boats moored in the harbour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

imokyrok wrote: »
    It's quite usual to see sanitary products washed up on the beach at Rogerstown but of late with the storms that seems to have become much worse. I'm wondering if the local sewerage plant is not sufficient to prevent this or are these waste products coming of the many boats moored in the harbour?

I wouldn't blame the boats since they are fair day boats rather than long voyage ocean going cruise ships:) Afraid the problem is down to the improper disposal through the sewage system of plastic sanitary products. Them, condons and tomatoes are the bane of sewerage plants not to forget clogging sewerage lines on the way to the plant. I have stayed in hotels abroad were they had a separate bin for sanitary products which I presume were then sent to an incinerator.

I walk that area a good bit and I have to say the two items that I keep coming across is glass in every form which would put me off walking barefoot along the beach and mattresses. Either a cargo ship of mattresses sank in the Irish Sea or the fly tippers think the sea is an ideal dumping ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I wouldn't blame the boats since they are fair day boats rather than long voyage ocean going cruise ships:) Afraid the problem is down to the improper disposal through the sewage system of plastic sanitary products. Them, condons and tomatoes are the bane of sewerage plants not to forget clogging sewerage lines on the way to the plant. I have stayed in hotels abroad were they had a separate bin for sanitary products which I presume were then sent to an incinerator.

I walk that area a good bit and I have to say the two items that I keep coming across is glass in every form which would put me off walking barefoot along the beach and mattresses. Either a cargo ship of mattresses sank in the Irish Sea or the fly tippers think the sea is an ideal dumping ground.

Tomatoes???

It is quite amazing what washes up there at times alright especially after a storm. I salvaged a tent still in it's bag one time! I would have thought most people are careful not to put sts down their own toilets in case of causing their own pipes to block so that's why I wondered if it's a more 'local' problem, especially as I thought the sewerage plant had been upgraded in recent years. But judging by beach the upgrading hasn't been sufficient. I know swimming is totally out in the harbour but it would put you off even paddling on a warm summers day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

imokyrok wrote: »
    Tomatoes???

Yes, the seeds pass through your gut unharmed and sewerage is rocket fuel to them so always a problem with them growing at the sewerage works.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/tomato-crops-flourishing-down-at-sewage-works-14899691.html

Advertisement