Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Garlic

Options
  • 11-05-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Mr Fox brought home a bunch of wild garlic he picked while fishing down the Blackwater yesterday. Any idea how I can make the best of them? Tested recipes much appreciated. Thanks!

Happy Friday!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Try Googling for Wild Garlic recipes, I know soup can be made, or used in salad or on pizza, it's also known as Ramson.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No actual recipes as such, but can be added to salad leaves, you can make a pesto with the leaves instead of basil and garlic, stuff fish such as trout and steam it or just wilt it with a little butter as a vegetable just like spinach.

There's an Indian takeaway near here in Greystones that does a wild-garlic naan when it's in season which is yummy too.

By the way, it's a bit past it's best now really .. it's best when the leaves are small and tender before the flowers form. When the flowers have formed the leaves get a little bit tougher and a bit stronger in flavour, it's still OK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i was in l'ecrivain yesterday and had wild garlic and celeriac soup, it was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Is it just the greens you have or is the root attached?

The greens can be used in salad, I usually just wilt them in butter and use like spinach.

The root is where the real flavour is IMO. This stuff is a pleasure to eat. While its very harsh raw, once cooked it becomes more subtle and gets very sweet. Just blanch it for around 2 minutes and then toss it in butter and diced shallots. Lovely stuff, take full advantage of it while its in season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Is it just the greens you have or is the root attached?

The greens can be used in salad, I usually just wilt them in butter and use like spinach.

The root is where the real flavour is IMO. This stuff is a pleasure to eat. While its very harsh raw, once cooked it becomes more subtle and gets very sweet. Just blanch it for around 2 minutes and then toss it in butter and diced shallots. Lovely stuff, take full advantage of it while its in season.

Greens & flowers.

They started to wilt so I sauteed them with butter and olive oil, lardon and mushroom, threw in cooked pasta and hey ho... it's yum!

Will try and make soup the next time.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, forgot about the flowers themselves, they're nice in salads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

The leaves make a great pesto, just use the normal recipe and replace the basil with it

Hennybug wrote: »
    The leaves make a great pesto, just use the normal recipe and replace the basil with it
    .. and the garlic. At least I do .. it's garlicky enough already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

If you are making a soup, use the leaves, blend them in with the soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

OOoooooooh Pesto....
    WIll give that a go too

• Advertisement
Advertisement