Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths marking

• 11-05-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I've been hearing that applied maths is marked rather nicely. On the marking scheme it's laid out as I'd expect, but people are saying if you have the technique right, you'll get a lot of the marks. For example you could make a mess of the calculations and still get a b or an a, is this right?

I'm fairly weak at it now, because well I didn't do much work in the last 2 years. Would I be better off trying to do 2/3 questions really well, or attempting 6 half assed? (getting the part a's, and likely not understanding some part b's).

Hoping for anything above a d2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

(-3) for a blunder (-1) for a numerical slip. Same as in maths. Rest goes for method.

G'luck brah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Well, Q5 is ridiculously easy to get marks in so there's a start :P

Q3 is pretty much the same, if you've no idea write out all the formulas and a big diagram, do as much as you can in it and you'd actually get the most of the marks!

Q10 is always quite easy if you can get the hang of it, the part a's are pretty much the same thing every year!

In Q4 if you just carefully calculate all the forces and do your equations you'll literally get almost all the marks. Draw a big diagram aswell with the directions of the forces on the objects all done out and there's even more marks!

Q1 is ok, just do out all the uvast values and put them in a few formulas and hey there's even more marks! It's not too bad really :)

As for Q2, that can be tough but if you can sort out the relative velocity, get its magnitude and direction then you'll probably get 10 marks from just that!

So yeah, it's not actually that bad of paper, certainly not hard to get a D2 in anyway! You shoul aim for a C1 :)

Advertisement