Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can dogs have solpadine?

• 11-05-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

my dog had a lump removed last week from his ear. he has stitches and his painkillers have run out but its hurting him. we're back to the vets tomorrow morning, in the mean time could i give him a solpadine with his food?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which type is it? The range includes:
    Solpadeine Headache, a combination of paracetamol and caffeine
    Solpadeine Plus, a compound analgesic containing paracetamol and codeine (Co-codamol), with caffeine
    Solpadeine Max, a compound analgesic containing paracetamol and codeine (Co-codamol), with a higher codeine content than Solpadeine Plus
    Solpadeine Migraine, a compound analgesic containing ibuprofen and codeine

Tbh, I wouldn't give human medicine to an animal, they are different.
    Both paracetamol and codeine may have an adverse effect on the dog.

You can ring a pet shop if they have over the counter pain relief for dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

NO! Do not give your dog paracetamol/ibuprofen products. You could be giving yourself a hefty vet bill when they get liver or kidney failure.
    NEVER GIVE HUMAN MEDS TO A PET WITHOUT VET APPROVAL. Human physiology is more different than you'd think to a cat or dog.
    Get more meds from your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

NEVER EVER give human medicines to a dog/cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

so it's ok for me to hoover up horse tranquiliser every weekend but not cool to give painkillers to the dog eh?...

aye no bother, i'll not risk, he can grin and bear it til tomorrow morning, i'll compensate with treats in the mean time, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could ring the vets and ask them to leave out some painkillers for you to pick up later?
    I've done that before with my vets, rang during the day and asked the vet to leave out tablets for me to collect that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Well my vet is always telling me that many of the drugs (animal & human) are the same, it's the dosage and the paperwork that's different. I was on steroids once and my dog was on the same tablets!

However a dog's digestive system (for a start) has differences to a humans, so if it was my dog I'd say sorry pal you have to suffer a bit until I get the drug 'scribed by the vet. Being stark about it, the pain won't kill him; the Solpadene might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My vet told me last week that I could give one of my dogs paracetamol, and told me the dosage. Obviously not as a regular thing, but he was due to have 2 teeth out, and the advice was given in case he seemed in pain before the op.

Phone your vet and ask, they may well tell you what dosage is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Conways1977

Human drugs perscritions and animal drugs are different. If he's in alot of pain, try a cold compress instead of giving him tabs.

Advertisement