Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese TV Series

• 11-05-2012 1:11pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have many Asian films in my collection but have never watched a TV series.
    Last night I started watching Gokusen. Silly, but with some real LOL moments in it. I'm actually enjoying it so far. (Two episodes in).

So, Japanese TV, I have no real clue where to start, anyone got some recommendations for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

For anyone interested, I've just discovered My Boss, My Hero.
    About a yakuza who is too stupid to be the next boss, so must go back to high school.
    So far, I'm finding it dead funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

How are you watching these series? On the internet?

One drama I really enjoyed is called Yamada Taro Monogatari. It's a happy and charming story, really funny and engaging. You might want to take a look.

I also got very much into Kaseifu no Mita last year. I was watching it in Ireland while it was airing in Japan. It was a huge cultural phenomenon, one of the most popular dramas ever.

One thing I would say from experience, if you are poking around sites looking for drama series, make sure your adblockers and virus checkers and so on are all up to speed. :mad:

hibby wrote: »
    How are you watching these series? On the internet?

Yup.
    Most of them on youtube.
    I have just started Tokyo Dogs, purely for the eye candy - Hiro Mizushima.

Thanks for the suggestions hibby, I shall check them out next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

If you enjoyed 'My Boss, My Hero', you might like 'Tiger and Dragon'.
    It's slightly less crazy, but the humour is still good natured and fun.
    In fact, I enjoyed a lot of the Kudo Kankuro dramas, especially 'Ikebukuro West Gate Park', since it was the first JDrama I saw. There's buckets of dramas new and old to get through, some a little sweet for my taste, but lots of guilty pleasures :) enjoy!

I'll add Tiger and Dragon to my list Chad, thanks for the suggestion. :)
    hibby wrote: »
    I also got very much into Kaseifu no Mita last year.

I'm half way through this one and am loving it! Mita is mad. :D

Keep the suggestions coming!

• Advertisement

Unubore Keiji (Deka) has become my new favourite. Funny and so very cheesy. Tomoya Nagase is fantastic and so over the top I was cracked up on a number of occasions.

This really tickles my funny bone. :)

Advertisement