Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip or overnight at Uluru?

Options
  • 11-05-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi all,

Just looking for some opinion on this. Want to take a trip next month to Uluru and Darwin but only have a few days off. I know it's not ideal but was thinking of doing a day trip to Uluru from Alice Springs and on to Darwin after that. Anyone able to recommend a good day tour or would I really be missing out on the experience not camping there?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

paidi09 wrote: »
    hi all,

Just looking for some opinion on this. Want to take a trip next month to Uluru and Darwin but only have a few days off. I know it's not ideal but was thinking of doing a day trip to Uluru from Alice Springs and on to Darwin after that. Anyone able to recommend a good day tour or would I really be missing out on the experience not camping there?

Cheers,

First things first. Unless you are planning on spending some time in nearby Mary River or Kakadu, then do not go near Darwin. It is a hole, and there is nothing remotely interesting there that you can't find somewhere else.

What I would do is take 5 days if you can. Get return flights to Alice Springs. Book yourself a 3 day/2 night tour with Adventure Tours, or whoever which will take you to the Red Centre. Not only will you see Uluru, you will also see Kata-Tjuta (overshadowed but arguagly more beautiful than Uluru) and also Kings Canyon (stunning). This would also give you a couple of days in Alice to relax and see the place at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Thanks for that. I've always had it in my head that I'd like to get to Darwin for a look. But I think it may not be possible this time round. Might just do that and go to Alice and get a few days there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A lot of people put Darwin down but it is a decent place and has a different vibe and feel to the other cities. Kakadu and Litchfield NPs are wonderful to see. Down from Darwin near Katherine you have the stunning Katherine gorge where you can canoe up along it. Stunning place. The thing about Darwin is that you will see plenty of Aboriginals around, not always in their best light I'm afraid but you get an idea of how things are for them. You won't see them in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth. Driving along you will see some of them sleeping or sitting under a tree in parks.
    There was a spread in the Weekend section of the Independent this Saturday on Darwin. Here are a few things mentioned.
    Mindil Beach markets
    Parap market ..Asian foods mentioned.
    www.crocosauruscove.com ....see huge crocs when you are lowered in a tube tank into their pool.
    www.darwinharbourcruises.com.au
    www.defenceofdarwin.nt.gov.au ....info on Darwin being bombed by Japanese during WW2.
    www.fishdarwin.com.au ...fishing in Darwin.

I'd well recommend a visit there. May to October is best as that is the dry season. I was there in June and the weather was fab if a little hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

How many days do you have? If its just a long weekend, stay south.
    If you're familiar with 4WD you could drive back to Alice via kings canyon and west McDonnell ranges to Alice. Or if you wanted someone else to handle that consider a tour
    http://www.wayoutback.com.au/getdoc/984b02c6-5c0f-48e0-b7ff-e833fb8075f1/5-Day-Uluru-Tour-Itinerary.aspx
    It is 5 days though.
    To be honest to get a good look at Alice and Darwin AND surrounds you'd need 10-14 days at your leisure.
    Darwin, as other poster said, is quite different to other places in Australia. I would not write it off, it has its social problems but to be honest I've seen as bad in Todd Mall and under the bridge in Alice. Its not a pretty town thanks to cyclone tracy but useful as a base for a variety of destinations at the top end. The B52 bomber display was interesting. To see anything you will need to go on an organized trip or get your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Are you driving, you'd definitely need to spend a night. Too remote (even from Alice) to consider doing it in a day. Camping is expensive around Uluru. There's only one campsite and I wouldn't recommend trying to free-camp nearby. Plus the access fee to Uluru and Kata Tjuta is pricey but does cover a number of days IIRC. Also consider King's Canyon, nearby (well it looks nearby but still is a long trip)

On the way down from Darwin, definitely consider stopping at Mataranka Hot springs, Lichfield or Kakadu NPs (Lichfield is smaller if time is an issue), Edith Falls - basically anywhere with water to swim/bathe in. You'll understand why soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Thanks for the info lads. I might stick to Alice and Uluru this time round with the time frame being short but would still like to have a look at Darwin some time. I'll be flying in to Ayers/Alice on my own so will prob go for an organised 4WD tour. Anyone done this one:

http://www.wayoutback.com.au/Tours/3-Day-Uluru-Tour.aspx

The 5 day is prob too long for me but this looks good. Wondering if it's decent value or any other better ones available?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 debsw

I went to Uluru about five years ago. I flew into Alice Springs and stayed at Annie's Place (hostel) and they do camping trips to Uluru for three days/two nights - first day went and saw King's canyon and then visited Uluru the second day (watched sun rise and set over Uluru) and walked the full way around Uluru (recommend - different to images you have in your head). Each night camped out under the stars - great experience, it does get cold at night though!!

Advertisement