Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitler on Wikipedia

• 11-05-2012 1:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Anyone else find reading about Hitler fascinating? I've been reading about him on wiki, the bits about his childhood, parents and grandparents I find especially intriguing. I tried reading Mein Kampf online but it's hard to read, the translation doesn't seem very good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

He has Irish relations you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

and only had 1 ball in his bag ..............

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

You should like this so, it's very interesting

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

He was a vegetarian don't ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

No, OP. Id rather watch paint dry, Thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He invented happy hardcore dance music

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

he started calor gas also...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Read a bit of mein kampf, crazy, full of hate and it seemed to have an air of anti-semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

After seeing this photo you will find it hard to take Hitler seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Seachmall wrote: »
    He was a vegetarian don't ya know.

but he liked sausages (wurst).....not the vegaterian type either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Bar the whole genocide issue he is an interesting character, excellent orator and brilliant politician but terrible military commander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A lot of Hitlers quotes could apply to today's Global elite.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed... Adolf Hitler

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." ....Adolf Hitler.

"The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one"....Adolf Hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never read about him, just saw bits of (yet another) WW2 documentary on History channel.
    Intend to watch The Fall? about the fall of Germany in WW2 at some point.

I hope Europe never sees another despot like him or Stalin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I prefer this version of Hitlers life.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Bar the whole genocide issue he is an interesting character, excellent orator and brilliant politician but terrible military commander.

everybody has good points.......but his were really so few......

You ever play the Hitler game on Wikipedia? You go to Random Article and see how many clicks it takes you through articles linked to on that specific one 'til you get to the page about Hitler.

The first link you click to from the Random Article counts as #1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed... Adolf Hitler

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." ....Adolf Hitler.

"The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one"....Adolf Hitler.
    A lot of them? That's just the same one, three times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone else find reading about Hitler fascinating? I've been reading about him on wiki, the bits about his childhood, parents and grandparents I find especially intriguing. I tried reading Mein Kampf online but it's hard to read, the translation doesn't seem very good.

Theres good books on the man by John Toland, Ian Kershaw and Alan Bullock, which would be more informative and in-depth.

but he liked sausages (wurst).....not the vegaterian type either...

'Tis a myth, don't ya know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

A lot of them? That's just the same one, three times.

Are you a grammar Hitler?

• Advertisement

You ever play the Hitler game on Wikipedia? You go to Random Article and see how many clicks it takes you through articles linked to on that specific one 'til you get to the page about Hitler.

The first link you click to from the Random Article counts as #1.

Interesting note: If you click "Random Article" and then always click the first link in the article you will eventually end up at "Philosophy" with something like a 95% success rate.

'Tis a myth, don't ya know.

no..his favourite was.....bratwurst......sort of suited him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

And sang...

no..his favourite was.....bratwurst......sort of suited him....

Him being a vegetarian is a myth. I have no idea if he liked sausages or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Pyr0 wrote: »

I doubt very much a terrible military commander could conquer most of Europe. He got too cocky and went for Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He build lovely roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You'll go fuhrer with your research if you don't use wikipedia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

everybody has good points.......but his were really so few......

This is true, you can't escape the facts of course as it swings both ways. I'm not saying he was a great guy or anything or 'praising him', I'm just acknowledging aspects of his personality that made him a serious figure in the political world of the last 100 years.

• Advertisement

Him being a vegetarian is a myth. I have no idea if he liked sausages or not.

yes he was sort of vegaterian...except for the occasional sausage.....

he loved lots and lots of creamy cakes.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They could also apply to wikipedia.

There is a severe lack of those youtube film's in his filmography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    Are you a grammar Hitler?

But he didn't correct his grammar? :confused:

Hah you have my former username. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

try reading it on www.mickopedia.org its much more fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I doubt very much a terrible military commander could conquer most of Europe. .

I doubt somebody whose knowledge of the subject is limited to perusing a few websites knows enough to comment, hence
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78620886&postcount=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sindri wrote: »
    He has Irish relations you know.

Not by blood thankfully ;)

• Advertisement

I doubt very much a terrible military commander could conquer most of Europe. He got too cocky and went for Russia.

I should have been a bit more clear. He had a tendency to hinder his generals during operations, holding them back from seizing the initiative and completely destroying enemy armies, retreating when holding ground was suicide, terrible ideas of attack and completely delusional of his armies capabilities during the latter years of the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

From what I remember from Junior Cert History, Mein Kampf was full of bad grammar, ranting, and was generally no better than the average post on the Politics Board on boards.ie, so maybe that's why the translation doesn't make any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Pyr0 nails it there from what I've read. Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So you believe he existed then now, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I'm intrigued by mass murder too. It's just a dream though, but I can still dream :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

He was banned from Xbox live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

has any posters read mein kampf ive been meaning to give it a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

He had some of the world's best ever military commanders working for him. They conquered Europe. Hitler didn't. If he had listened to them more he would've been a lot more successful. Unfortunately for him, (and fortunately for the rest of the world) he believed his own hype.

prinz wrote: »
    He had some of the world's best ever military commanders working for him. They conquered Europe. Hitler didn't. If he had listened to them more he would've been a lot more successful. Unfortunately for him, (and fortunately for the rest of the world) he believed his own hype.

his greatest success was........killing 10 million germans, and losing a third of his country..........

has any posters read mein kampf ive been meaning to give it a bash.

Some people say it's intruiging and fascinating, personally I thought it was fairly shit.

I didn't get to the end but I know how it ends anyway so no loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

From what I remember from Junior Cert History, Mein Kampf was full of bad grammar, ranting, and was generally no better than the average post on the Politics Board on boards.ie, so maybe that's why the translation doesn't make any sense?

It tends to vary from what appears well reasoned and well written stuff to just mad cap ramblings that go around in circles of irrational bile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

That's a common mistake,while his origins where in 'Goosestep Dub' Hitler was no fan of 'Happy Hardcore',this came along after his initial creation Breakbeat Hardcore under his pseudonym 'DJ SS'

From his first release 'The Pyscho EP'

He later transitioned to Jungle & DnB under another alias 'Sounds of the fuhrer'

It was the emerging Happy hardcore that began spreading across europe which eventually led to his 'Downfall',prior to this he was dropping bombs all over europe and causing quite a scene!

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Some people say it's intruiging and fascinating, personally I thought it was fairly shit.
    Ditto. I found it more than a tad repetitive and boring. Maybe it loses something in translation though?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto. I found it more than a tad repetitive and boring. Maybe it loses something in translation though?

is it worth a read?

• Advertisement
Advertisement