Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Parking at Dublin Airport

• 11-05-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Anyone know if it's still okay to park for free in the short term car park? Haven't been there in a while.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Think it's paid parking in all the carparks within the airport property, but have you considered parking at the Airport church? With security issues, I'd say your bike would be lifted/impounded by the airport police fairly pronto if parked outside the official parks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No, it's still free to park in the short term, just don't take up a proper space. I always park in car park 3 near where the buses leave from. Just inside the carpark on the left is a big space with barriers around it nip between the barriers. I've parked there about 20-30 times. You can chain your bike to the barriers too.
    You can park nearer, but I remember some one on biker.ie saying they worked in the airport and for some reason this was a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Thanks Paparazzo (I would use the "thumb" but seems I don't have enough posts yet).
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    You can park nearer, but I remember some one on biker.ie saying they worked in the airport and for some reason this was a good spot.

Might just be less crowded than No. 1? I was nearly boxed in on a previous occasion.

Presumably, as it's all unofficial, the airport authorities won't give a rat's ass if you have a problem like that.

Not sure if locking is a good idea. I'll bet if they want to move your bike (e.g. because of security alert) they'll have no qualms about destroying your lock plus any bike parts nearby.

All in all though it's well worth the risk to be able to step out of the terminal and be on your way in minutes, without spending a cent (probably shouldn't be blabbing about it here - everyone'll be in on the act and then the jig's up!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It's as close to official as you can get. I've read about 20 threads on it over the years on a load of sites, people have rang the airport and were told what I just told you. People have asked security and were told the same. Just leave it in a place like the one I said.
    One guy said he didn't know where to park so he left it outside the airport police station and left his boots under the bike cos he had no room in his top box. They were still there when he got back 3 days later!
    I wouldn't worry about security risk. I've seen bikes parked there for about 6 months at a time! I'd definitely lock it, if it's a security risk they'll grind the lock off. It won't happen, but I wouldn't leave a bike anywhere for a few days without locking it. Plus, 3 is miles away from the terminal.
    3 is never crowded, I'd say the max I've seen is 3 bikes there, normally only 1 or 2. You'll never get boxed in because everyone parks in a row, front wheel against the barrier so you can lock to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Closest i can find to an official position on parking online but it dates from 2009.

The accepted safe location for parking is within Block A Level 1.

This is a secure area and it features regular foot patrols from the Airport Police Service. Even if most of the time its just to look jealousy at the different bikes :eek:

Parking elsewhere within the airport, you may run the risk of your Bike being clamped or impounded by the APS.

This is taken from this 2009 DAA Policy Document
    11.3 Bicycle / Motorbike

There is also no charge for parking a motorcycle at Dublin Airport in the Multi-Storey car parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Sorry to bump an old thread but going away for a few days on friday and was going to get aircoach from Templeogue but see they have now stopped that service so thinking of taking bike as last resort so just wondering if anyone has parked there recently- do you need to ring them first so just go around the barriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Haven't been in since September - had no problems on that occasion.
    I've always just gone around the barriers.
    In fact there are a couple of areas just inside the first entrance into the short term that you can park in without even going past the barriers.
    Link to Bing Maps view of the entrance I'm talking about (fingers crossed it will work)
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sx420nggcx0x&lvl=18.82&dir=356.89&sty=b&sp=Point.sx429tggcwj5_Untitled%20item____

The GFs old man leave his bike the alot,
    never had any issues.It must be there 7/8 weeks off the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

My dad is in and out of the airport a lot, always sees bikes... one of the lads working with him travels weekly and leaves the bike there all the time, without hassle. Can't offer advice on which short term it is, but he's been doing it for years without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Great to read the posts on this thread as an flying to london on thursday for a few days... What does refund do with their lids and skids?

Dont suppose there is lockers in the airport for rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rpsfigueira

Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread. I'll be traveling in a few days and I was thinking of leaving my bike at the airport. Glad to see people here that have done it before with no issues but I was anyway wondering if there were any 'updates'...

Thanks,

rf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread. I'll be traveling in a few days and I was thinking of leaving my bike at the airport. Glad to see people here that have done it before with no issues but I was anyway wondering if there were any 'updates'...

Thanks,

rf

I parked up for a day in the multi-storey car park about a month ago without an issue. Go in the normal way, go to the top floor where the entrance for the airport bridge is and you will see bikes parked against the wall right beside the entrance. When leaving you just go pass the exit barriers on the side, more than enough room to get by with panniers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just do exactly what Paparazzo said. What a great poster he was :D

Not sure about terminal 2

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Hi guys,
    just to be sure, is this still valid now 2017?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mick44irl

Was at the airport recently and there were plenty of bikes parked up in the multi story carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Is it ok to drop off for a few days, thinking about commuting so would leave it Friday evening - Monday evening.  Is that too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Is it ok to drop off for a few days, thinking about commuting so would leave it Friday evening - Monday evening.  Is that too long?

Lately I left it for ~1 week a few times - didn't have any problem. Plenty of bikes parked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I usually work abrad on rotation , and park bike in multi story . It can get busy, most of the bikes are the same ones there for weeks .. great to get something for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Breezin

Bumping this old thread now, as the l input was years ago. Anyone have any update on where best to put the bike these days? I'm heading off for six days - short-haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Drive into the car park at T1. Plenty of room to get around barrier. Then drive around and choose where you want to park, other bikes are in areas cars can't access so park there. I used this area last week and there was plenty of bikes there. Use plenty of locks.

Post edited by Sir Galahad on

• Advertisement

To update this, this area is fenced off and unavailable now unfortunately

Thanks guys. Good to have this information!

That worked a treat, thanks!

We got home half an our after landing... It was great not to have all the car park and ride palaver, or wait forever for the privatised bus 'service', or pay €70 each way for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

What do you do with your gear, helmet, etc? Wouldn't fancy dragging all that weight around and onto a plane.

I used to have a bmw gs, was really handy with panniers to store that

Lock helmets to the bike. Ride to the airport in cheapo or old bike gear that is unlikelyto be taken and that you won't cry about if it is. Stuff it under a cover.

Worth the risk to save hours of hassle and wads of money better spent on hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

just checking as of todays date...

still ok to park up my bike for the day using the T1 carpark short term?

ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭goblin59

it was 2 weeks ago for me

Yeah, i always notice a few in the airport still. Unfortunately I have no panniers, so not an option for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭goblin59

Can you fit a topbox?

I wear motorcycle jeans and a casual looking jacket and then just keep my helmet and gloves in a topbox

I could, but probably won't bother with one. Use to have a gs with panniers and used the airport parking all the time. It was great, wife on the back too

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

UPDATE:

just done it and had no problems.....I used T1 short term, it was 5am and flying shiteair first flight so I didn't get to flute about, barriers in/out are short and bike friendly as stated above, I stopped and asked a carpark worker there who said "yeah goto the basement" I had a quick circle couldn't see anything obvious tho so due to not having time to play with and literally apart from yer man nobody around I went up and across to a quiet corner far end of "C" Level 4 was a nice dead spot in the corner there and was even able to chain up to the armco.

had some "what if" thoughts on the flight back in but no bother atall and looking around I'd wonder if a soul had been around that part of the carpark atall that day but maybe there's a letter in the post (hopefully not lol)

I scoured their website and I can't find a mention of bikes anywhere, managed to find a recent twitter comment from the @dublinairport account tho dated 8th May that says there is an area on the ground floor...but no further mention if there's any T&C's €€€?

anyway unless I learn otherwise whenever the occasion allows I'll defo take the bike again, saved bigtime on time/cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Banzai600

ive used the airport twice, and aside from parasite scrote bags who want to steal your bike, the next best worry are other bikers, they'll fcuk theirs on top of yours and make it diffiuclt for you to get out, zero consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 macdragon76

I am cheeky and take up a full spot up near the Exit.

I have been doing this for years, all my stuff locked away in Panniers.

I once managed to strap down a small luggage case enough for a week in Portugal. (then rented a BMW F800 down there)

for about a week is fine, as others said, LOCKS!

25 mins home as opposed to 1Hr 30 on the Aircoach!

Advertisement