Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 day stay in hospital

Options
  • 11-05-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am in the orth in clontarf and have health insurance to cover private room in public hosp.
    I was moved into same 2 days ago but was told I could only stay 14 days as insur will pay promptly after 14 days but will delay payment to end of stay . So if I stay 6 weeks insur co will delay payment for quite some time.
    Hospital say they cant afford to wait for payment so will only allow me to stay 14 days and then go to public ward. So there is a continous roll-over of 14 day payment. Once again the patient is the one that suffers. It seems the insur co. is more interested in holding onto they money and the hospital is only interested in getting it from them.
    Why pay for private ward if hospital will not give it for term of stay.
    any advise.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Nyberg

Was it the insurance company or the hospital who said you would be moved in 14 days??

Best to check with insurance company, because this is def not the case with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Surely it's the hospital's issue with the insurance company, not yours!

How can you be responsible for how/when the ins. company pays its debts?
    I'd say talk to both hospital management and the company - awful that you have to deal with this at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tiggerb

Have been told now by my insur com. that the 14 day stay in private room is another insur co. I dont believe that either. They say its one of the bigger insur com. You do not have to use imagination. Have a notice in my room stating this 14 day stay is insurance companies plural. Next i expect that hospital/s will vito any longterm patients. they will not get a smell of a private room and they will not know either that they are being denied their rights under their insur policy.

Am still awaiting word from insur com that hospital will allow me to stay in room. So far have been told 4 times by different people on staff that I cannot stay in room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I sense a scam here...
    Have spent three months in a private hospital on a number of occasions and there has never been any hassle like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

In a public hospital you are never really guaranteed a private room. You may be booked in to one and your insurance information taken that you'll be staying in one, but if a patient comes in that they feel needs it more than you (they may have something that needs to be isolated), then they will move you somewhere else regardless of what insurance you have. I have seen it happen on many occasions. First I've heard about the 14 day rule though. It may be worth contacting someone in the hospital who deals with payments and accounts. You might get a bit of clarity there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement