Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the natural confectionery sweets

Options
  • 11-05-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I happened to look at the back of the back yesterday, it said that the gelatine used is bovine, I was oblivious to this!!! How common is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Most jellies have gelatine in them. Have a look at the back of the packets of the most common jellies and you'll see that.
    The odd one uses pectin as its gelling agent, which is fruit-based and grand for us vegetarians.
    Jelly Tots is one readily-available jelly sweet that uses pectin that springs to mind.

It's not just jellies that can contain gelatine - I know Silver Mints used to. I always wondered why - they have the least jelly-like texture of anything - so chalky! I must check later when I'm in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sure even if it sounds like it should be "jelly-like", gelatin just does its job to bind components, regardless of the final texture. I've always been wary of those Natural Confectionary Company ones. Checked them a few years ago, and then again recently. Still not veggie.

Some of the jellies from the 2 euro shops and the like, are vegetarian...thankfully! And Jelly Tots should be vegan too, not only veggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

Thanks!

I'm really annoyed, certainly didn't expect meat products in natural flavoured fruit sweets, ridiculous that there is. Wish I had the good sense to check earlier, lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I guess when they say "natural", they dont state what kind of natural they are going with. Its pretty bad form of them to call them that, but not be veggie, but what can you do eh? :)

There's better out there anyway!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Gelatine is a natural product so I don't see how they're doing anything wrong using the word natural?

Marks and Spencer do a vegetarian version of Percy Pigs now, which are lovely, but being M&S they're a bit on the pricey side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I know health food shops do vegetarian jellies. They're quite pricey though. :/ I remember a veggie friend of mine buying a small bag of cola bottles in Evergreen for something like €2. Most of, if not the whole Jelly Bean Factory range is gelatine free. Hope that's useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Unfortunately you can't make assumptions that something is veggie friendly just because it's labelled 'natural'. That's like assuming all products in health shops are veggie friendly, a quick glance around the likes of holland and barrett and you'll see it's far from the truth.

quaalude wrote: »
    Most jellies have gelatine in them. Have a look at the back of the packets of the most common jellies and you'll see that.
    The odd one uses pectin as its gelling agent, which is fruit-based and grand for us vegetarians.
    Jelly Tots is one readily-available jelly sweet that uses pectin that springs to mind.

It's not just jellies that can contain gelatine - I know Silver Mints used to. I always wondered why - they have the least jelly-like texture of anything - so chalky! I must check later when I'm in the shop.

I noticed before that the normal sized packs of silvermints have gelatin in them but the the little mini ones in the tin didn't, weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Naturally extracted from cow bones. mmmmmm.
    While it's not a lie or anything, I do think the branding is a bit misleading.
    Jelly tots are great.
    Was caught out with xxx mints myself before. Very much non-gelatinous alright! Polos are nicer anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

While it's not a lie or anything, I do think the branding is a bit misleading.
    The back of the pack is where the truth is, ignore the front, its meaningless marketing jargon like "new & improved" or "premium/quality".

I was surprised when I saw those denny 'natural ham' ads, since they specifically make out like nobody else qualifies as 'natural' so could be challenged, like if a beer company said we are the only ones making premium beer.

http://homeis.ie/Natural/WhatIsHam.aspx
    ‘Natural’ means something that does not contain anything artificial. The ham contains ingredients that are unprocessed.
    Most commonly used ingredients in converting pork to ham are phosphates, sodium nitrite, sodium chloride, sodium ascorbate, dextrose, flavourings.

To produce a 100% Natural Ingredients Ham, all the ingredients listed above have to be removed or replaced with natural sources.

ingredients.png
    I would have considered all 4 at the bottom to be processed foods. Sea salt=sodium chloride. You don't just pick protein off a pig. You can't just dry off sea water and be left with salt that would pass standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't make assumptions that something is veggie friendly just because it's labelled 'natural'. That's like assuming all products in health shops are veggie friendly.

yeah, it wasn't so much that it was 'natural', I uderstand that meat products are natural. It was the fact that I thought they were made solely from fruit, and the use of "natural" would allude to that, so the fact that there is meat in the mix surprised me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahmag

And I'm sure there's nothing natural about the diet the pigs Denny use for their pork products. More than likely they're full of anti-biotics and the likes. I'm not fully educated on the farming system in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

The tesco near me (Mahon point, Cork) do haribo funny mix that are veggie.
    http://www.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=haribo%20funny%20mix&gbv=2&gs_l=hp.3.0.0l5j0i30l5.4337.8844.0.9952.13.13.0.0.0.0.336.2130.0j10j0j1.11.0...0.0.wcz0S_mMRos&sa=X&oi=image_result_group

Can't remember the price so it must've been reasonable enough :)

Advertisement