Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fade St Upgrade

Options
  • 11-05-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

I haven't been on Fade st in a long time but I noticed last night that it's gone a massive upgrade. All the on-street parking has been removed and filled in, widening the footpath and providing extra bike parking and planters for small trees. It looks great, especially compared to what it used to - I should have taken some photos to compare them. When did this work happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Only finished up very recently, wont be long before they're digging it up again for something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Isn't this whole area part of Dublin's new 'creative quarter'? Could be to do with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What do they mean by Creative Quarter? Pretentious wannabes or actual creatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

While I like the idea of the widened footpaths, I think the material used looks quite cheap and out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

brambo wrote: »
    While I like the idea of the widened footpaths, I think the material used looks quite cheap and out of place.

Hey, that's what they said about the cast of Fade Street!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I thought that the thread might have been about the cast of that God awful show being culled.:D

But it's great to see the street upgraded as it acts as part of a route from South Great Georges Street to Grafton St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridgepeople

The work has only just finished in the last couple of weeks. The street certainly looks better than before but the job was done on the cheap so it will be interesting to see how it stands the test of time.

The footpath covering is quite unusual. It is some kind of yellow pebble dashing glued on to tarmac. It looks a bit like the bottom of a birdcage. I guess actual paving was outside the budget of DCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

markpb wrote: »
    When did this work happen?
    It went on for months - I though the'd never get it finished. It looks great all the same.

(I'm open to correction but I think the initial works were being done by utility companies. Perhaps, following the chaos and road closures involved, they were rerquired to refurbish it).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Looks awful... can't wait to see what they have planned for Grafton Street :rolleyes:

Pic for those that haven't seen this eyesore:

IMAG0152.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I think it looks better than it did previously, but that wouldn't've been hard.

Interesting article about the 'upgrade' by Frank McDonald a while back. General gist is that it was a wasted opportunity, which I'd agree because the buildings on Fade Street (for the most part) are beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

They need to do something similar to Liffey St. It's in a desperate state

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Looks awful... can't wait to see what they have planned for Grafton Street :rolleyes:

Pic for those that haven't seen this eyesore:

Like others, I don't see the problem, besides the oversized tree planters pointlessly taking up space... what exactly is it that you dislike about it?

Millions are due to be spent on Grafton Street, this is very small budget stuff.

TheTwiz wrote: »
    They need to do something similar to Liffey St. It's in a desperate state

Agreed. It's such an important and well used link for people walking but it's left with such narrow footpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

monument wrote: »
    Like others, I don't see the problem, besides the oversized tree planters pointlessly taking up space... what exactly is it that you dislike about it?

In my opinion, the footpath looks pretty bad and the tarmac on the road looks like it was done on the cheap (which it probably was. Also, maybe it'll look better once it's 'settled'?). And as you say, the oversized trees don't really fit (and the boxes they put the trees in have already become not-particularly-well-designed bins - and I'm sure it'll get worse as time goes on). Having said that, it's looking better than what went before: I'm just not sure the money spent was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oh god that is horrible. The material used on the footpath is so out of place next to the style of those fantastic buildings. They should have just gone with something plain and unobtrusive.

Advertisement